Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Building a Figure 4 Trap

Boolit Master

Building a Figure 4 Trap

I saw the new category and thought I would share a neat video with everyone that I stumbled across on You Tube. I was looking to learn a bit more about traps and snares at the time. The irony of learning about the outdoors over the computer never fails to escape me.

This 2 part video shows how to build a Figure 4 trap. Some of you might find the video of the outdoors-man Ron Hood assembling it to be educational. If nothing else it was entertaining to watch.

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-JEctyHOs

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAevIIfUxY

While not a trapper, growing up on a farm I was always interested in trapping. It seems to me like it would also require a decent working knowledge of your intended games habits, and frequented locations. Something that most hunters also like to think about. You would need the equipment as well, or at least the know how to be able to fabricate it.

About the only trap I have any real experience with, besides the old antique jaw traps, and raccoon & skunk relocation traps, is the standard wooden snap rat trap. I also learned, although I can't remember where I learned it, that most rodents can not resist peanut butter. A small amount of peanut butter makes excellent bait, and can apparently also be used as a potential boolit lube as well, who knew.

I would say that the common rat trap is not to be underestimated.

I have caught many different things around the farm using the good old rat trap, besides just pesky rodents. Critters like rabbits, birds, squirrels, and even a few larger sized mammals. While most of them were not my first choice in game meats, they would sure beat eating hay. I also learned quickly to be sure to secure, or nail the trap down, or else it tends to get drug off - Another valuable lesson learned the hard way of course.

The simple rat trap is commonly available, as well as being inexpensive, and easy to use.

I will be watching and reading more here in hopes of learning more about the lost art of trapping.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I've put a ****-load of muskrat pelts on stretcher boards thanks to rat traps. Baited with a piece of apple or parsnip & hung trigger end down in marshes just a skosh above the waterline, they're a 'rat killin' machine and cheap enough for a teenaged boy to buy dozens of them. IIRC, my junior & senior yrs in high school I ran about 20 doz of them along with my stash of leghold & box traps.

Boolit Master
    I am going to have to try the rat traps!!! Plenty of peanut butter to bait em with too! Kids have decided they only like jelly on their sandwiches so been wondering what to do with it. Another posted mentioned it for raccoons so guess we will see what happens.

Back to topic tho, wish I could try that figure 4 trap but unfortunately deadfalls are not allowed here.

Boolit Master

Many years ago and it almost seems like it never happened but we lived in Mississippi and made a simple box like affair with the figure 4 trigger and caught flying squirrels. Worked really neat until we brought the live squirrels home. Wanted to keep them as pets but Mom had something else to say about that !!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I used to whittle figure four triggers on camping trips with the boy scouts to make boy scout traps. The trigger would be baited with a dollar bill tied tightly, bow knots, in place with waxed linen string and the dead-fall was a board, not heavy enough to hurt, the boy who could untie it without setting it off gets the dollar. We had to run other contests to see who won the honor of trying it was so popular. A lot of scouts learned about triggers and trapping.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

In Remembrance

My great grandfather taught my brothers and I about figure four triggers, deadfalls and snares in the mid 1950's. He also taught us how to set steel traps. I put that knowledge to work in 1972-3-4 and made good money for the family trapping in the winters. I still get calls to live trap skunks, coons, and other varmints. I sold my furs green as the local fur buyers preferred to do them right rather than try to correct a bad job. I just froze them in a freezer until sale day. Coyotes aren't so bad, after doing hundreds of them you get faster. Badgers are a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    The trigger would be baited with a dollar bill tied tightly,....
    The perfect stripper trap?