Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman T-mag instructions.

Lyman T-mag instructions.

looking for instructions for the T-mag, the old orange one. I just bought one and would like to see if the instructions have a blow up and see what parts night be missing and if I can find them.

Anyone have one of these seems to be a nice press. I found some turrets, and I want to make sure it fits.
    All of the information i can find is for the t-mag 2.

I want to load I'm 44, and 41 mag on one turret.

Boolit Master
    Email Lyman.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    You can get the info at their site.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/p...c_RPK_Tmag.php

Boolit Master
    I have both. An old Lyman T-Mag, and a newer T-Mag II, and I use them both.

I like to leave one with all the dies set up in the turret for whatever caliber I am currently working on.

Here is a PDF link for the press.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/p...C_RPK_Tmag.pdf

And a link for replacement parts from the Lyman store.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page141.html

I believe both turrets are the same sizes between the two presses, with the newer T-Mag II turrets having a handle to help manually index the turret. Give Lyman a call if you want specifics for sure though.

Most of the parts interchange easily between the two, except for ones with size constraints. For example the Lyman Primer arm, or even a RCBS universal primer arm will swap back and forth, but the plastic primer catch trays do not, and are specific to each press body size.

I have a picture of the old T-Mag that I can post. After tearing it down and giving it a thorough cleaning and re-lube, I decided to paint it black to somewhat match the newer T-Mag II. The old Orange T-Mag worked fine as a reloading press, it was just slightly longer than the new T-Mag II, with a rounder body, and a slimmer linkage footprint.

The T-Mag II has a little less head flex than the old one, and the height of the press is shorter overall. It also has slightly different linkage that's wider than the original T-Mag, and a square I-beam style body.

Old Orange after tear down and paint.

Newer T-Mag II Ambidextrous press?

Had both handles (old and new) in the T-Mag II showing they share same thread size.

Top down view of the T-Mag II

The T-Mag is a fine press to reload with. I like them both, and have been assembling quality boolits using the old T-Mag for quite a few years now. The T-Mag is just is not a real beefy press made for swaging with it's rotating turret head. For heavier work I would use my old Rock Chucker, or some other O frame press.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the older t-mags and the new style primer catcher works on it very well. The turrets will interchange.

Bullwolf, my Lyman looks like your Tmag II but is still orange.

Boolit Buddy
    Be aware that Lyman used different turret posts in the old orange colored T-Mag presses. I have one that has a quick change feature.

The threaded portion that screws into the frame is smaller than later model orange colored presses. It caused a lot of confusion when Lyman kept sending me a turret post that would not git my press. Finally I mailed them my broken post and they sent it back saying they no longer stock that part and advised me my only option was to have a machinist make me a new post. I did that and had it heat treated. That post broke too and I have been unable to get it out of the press.

My T-Mag press does not have the adjustable turret support in back of the press. It is a fixed support. When I asked Lyman why they do not stock the proper part for my press I was told it was an old model. Funny thing was that I had just purchased it new less than 2 years earlier from a reputable gun shop in a reloading kit including the scale. It showed absolutely no sign of previous use.

Lyman's customer service response left me with a cold feeling toward them as their response seemed to just be ''tough luck''. I've since sold the two turrets I had for it but I still have the rest of the press and still use their scale.

The newer designed ''turret post'' for the orange colored T-mag had a larger diameter threaded section that screws into the press that I'm sure was substantially stronger than the post on my press. I've considered having the frame bored out, re-threaded and making an adjustable turret support, but it simply isn't worth the effort.

Lee's Classic Turret press, and even their older turret presses, beat the Lyman T-Mag seven ways to Sunday. I would not be afraid of a T-Mag with the adjustable turret support. I suspect this is also when they added the larger diameter ''turret post'' thread.

Anyway with the Lee fully supported turrets I'd never pay good money for a Lyman turret press again. I notice when I went to their site that they charge something like $55.oo for their turrets while I can buy 4 or more Lee turrets for that price and have auto index whenever I choose that option.

I may modify my old Lyman into a nut cracker. I guess it would already make a decent boat anchor. Just sayin.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I have been trying to decide whether or not to upgrade from my old T-Mag, it's a little beat up. I think I will....
    Paul

Lyman

I have a rcbs rc for my sizing and rifle dies, and a dillon 550 for high volume stuff.

I just want to be able to keep my 41, and 44 mag setup ready to run.
    I'm hoping to be able to speed things up a little, and maintain a consistent crimp, and seat depth.
    I really hope to be able to shoot quite a bit more 44 this year. I have a pistol I hope to tune a nice load for, I'm casting about 6 different boolits for it, as soon as it dries out I hope to see what it likes best.
    I have to keep my wife in 41s for her 657.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of the 1911 View Post
    looking for instructions for the T-mag, the old orange one. I just bought one and would like to see if the instructions have a blow up and see what parts night be missing and if I can find them.

Anyone have one of these seems to be a nice press. I found some turrets, and I want to make sure it fits.
    All of the information i can find is for the t-mag 2.

I want to load I'm 44, and 41 mag on one turret.
    I too have an older TMAG not TMAG2 and cannot find a user manual.. All I can find at the Lyman website is a manual for the tmag2.. Thanks for any help anyone can give...M. Goleman