Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Jerky

Vendor Sponsor

I use what I call the "jerky slab" out of the hams. this is a near perfectly rectangular muscle in the very back of the ham that is about perfect for making jerky as it has no intersecting sinew or marbling. Directly in front of this is a round muscle that is great for making either jerky or you can roll it in pepper, paprika, or season, hang, and dry it to make a pastrami like piece of dried meat. Not pastrami like we think of for a sandwich, but in Europe, they call dried and/or preserved meat pastrami.

Anyhow for jerky, remove trim and nearly freeze this rectangular muscle until it is barely bendable. Slice this into 1/8" thick slices and place in bowl. Add marinade and let marinade for a day or so in the fridge then put sliced meat in a dehydrator and process until dried.

Teriyaki/Black Pepper marinade:

Mix together whole bottle of Teriyaki sauce, half bottle of Soy sauce, 1/2 Cup Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp Onion powder, 2 - 4 tbsp coarse ground black pepper (depending on how peppery you want it), dash of Liquid Smoke.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I just made up 8lbs of venison jerky. I like making jerky with a grinder and jerky gun...I've tried it both ways and keep coming back to this. Along with some store bought spice mixes, I tried one with brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Very good with just a little kick to it. We've got a pig on the way and we have antlerless tags for this deer season, so I'm making room in the freezer.

Perma-Banned
    I use the hi mountain brand jerky cure, there is also a hi country brand as well but none of us like it nearly as good as the hi mountain stuff, they have several different flavors to choose from, one of our favorites is the cracked pepper and garlic

Boolit Buddy

Been using some seasoning my parents got me for Christmas. Cabela's brand seasoning. Very good and I'll get the name of it tonight.

Boolit Master

Just finished up 10lbs of ground jerky strips using the LEM Jerky Gun and Nesco Spices, I used the Hot and Spicy mix since that has been my go to flavor for some time. I was real hesitant on using this method since I always did the strips, but I must say this comes out great and everyone I share with loves it. The tube fits one pound at a time and fills up a tray in my round dehydrator, maybe a bit more if I space them out a bit. I like the Nesco spices because it is easy as heck, 1 spice pack, 1 cure pack, 1 lb of meat and done, the same flavor every single time.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    10 lbs of ground Deer 2 packages of Cabela’s Teriyaki jerky mix marinate overnight. Next morning using a Cabela’s jerky gun put on the racks in my LEM dehydrator. Dehydrate for 4.5 to 5hrs until flexible but not so dry to break when bending. Give half to my parents the other half the wife and I eat. Makes great snack for lunch at work.
    I made at least 60lbs of jerky since last deer season it is a great way to clean out the freezer.

BTW I have a jerky slicer for my grinder but it is a pain in the **** to clean.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

The best I ever had, was simple salt and pepper, but BUT

He removed all silverskin/tough tissue and carefully cut it all cross grain.

Smoked it dry.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by handirandy View Post
    Ingredients

3 lbs deer
    1 cup soy sauce or teriyaki (use liquid not marinate)
    1/3 c. smoky BBQ sauce of choice
    2 tsp. garlic powder or salt
    1 tsp. onion salt
    2 tsp. seasoned salt or Montreal Steak Seasoning
    2 tsp. liquid smoke
    ½ cup brown sugar or honey
    2 tsp. cooking wine or balsamic vinegar. I like 1/4 cup of Canadian whiskey better.
    1 tsp. six pepper seasoning (Use 3 pepper if you can’t find six; black, white, red)
    3 tsp. jalapeno sauce or juice. I just mash up store bought prepared slices.

Directions

Cut meat into strips 1/8" to 1/4" thick; easiest if meat is slightly frozen. Marinate overnight in all ingredients making sure that each piece has been coated both sides. Place on racks in oven and bake at 200 F for one hour. Then place on racks in dehydrator. Alternate trays once or twice for approximately 8-12 depending on the temperature of your dehydrator. You can adjust amount of pepper or jalapenos to taste. The amount listed is for mild.
    Basically this is the one I use.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    I like a little heat in mine - try a mix of crushed red pepper, black pepper, and white pepper; port wine, salt, liquid smoke, water (or juice - apple or whatever), and then the magic ingredient : Molasses!! Try a combination of these till you get it right for your taste; the molasses and port mixture is great.
    Use port and molasses in mine also. Along with quick tender, salt, brown sugar, ketchup (sometimes A1 sauce) garlic and onion powder and either soy or teriyaki sauce and liquid smoke. When I'm all done with the marinade I use what's left to season some of the poor quality deer burger (waste not want not) to make dog treats. I've tried a smoker, but I never seem to make it as good as in a dehydrator.

Banned

no ground jerky shooter for me. I bought one tried it once and its been sitting ever since. Has to be cut meat not ground meat and has to go in the smoker thank you. A little quick cure, brown sugar, lowerys montreal steak seasoning garlic and onion powder for the plain and for teriyaki I use a bought seasoning pack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12