WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Jerky

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Deer Jerky

I know with all the guys and gals here there should be a lot of different flavors of jerky out there I have tried a few and just have not found one that is (the one) so to speak.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I like my jerky to taste like dried venison, and don't try to overpower it with flavorings.

I do have a recipe that's almost like candy- use orange juice, honey, soy sauce and a little garlic powder for your marinade. It'll be a bit sticky from the sugars, but it will disappear fast.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Buddy

I've thown all in a big ziploc bag, then add lots of different seasonings. If I see something, I try and add it but I always add lemon juice no matter what. I like mine spicy and before I got the dehydrator working right, I put it in the oven on lowest temp, cracked the over door open and dehydrated it like that. Problem is that before I could make the next batch, it was already eaten.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Why lemon juice is it like fish well I know you can put lemon juice on any fish and eat it raw with no bad effects. I never thought of it for meat. And I have the same thing happen to me I make a patch and will be gone when I got home from work. Turns out my two boys were caring it to school and selling it by the piece.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

I just like plain old hickory not real into the exotic flavors I usually buy the LEM brand cure mix. I make mine out of ground but want to start making it the traditional way with sliced meat. FB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    I just like plain old hickory not real into the exotic flavors I usually buy the LEM brand cure mix. I make mine out of ground but want to start making it the traditional way with sliced meat. FB
    Keep your eye out for a sale on meat slicers ( got mine at Cabela's last year ) get one and you will never go back. Now I pick up whatever lean roast is on sale, an hour in the freezer and you can slice it just the way you like it. All this jerky talk done flung a cravin on me. I haven't found that " GREAT " recipe either so I'm gonna see what develops here.
    gary

Banned

im kind of partial to either plain or terriaki

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd,
    What's your recipe for plain. I been doing terriaki and getting tird of it, I know you got something different and tasty in your recipe box.

Boolit Mold
    I like a little heat in mine - try a mix of crushed red pepper, black pepper, and white pepper; port wine, salt, liquid smoke, water (or juice - apple or whatever), and then the magic ingredient : Molasses!! Try a combination of these till you get it right for your taste; the molasses and port mixture is great.

Boolit Grand Master

Molasses and port wine....very interesting, that sounds good. I love Steen's cane syrup.
    gary

Boolit Buddy
    I usually use salt, brown sugar, black pepper and a bit of Montreal Steak seasoning. Smoke with a mixture of hickory and apple wood. Good stuff!

We just buy the Cabelas seasoning, mix in ground deer and throw it in the dehydrator. I figure for the cost and ease its worth it.
    We like to mix 1/2 origanal and 1/2 peppered and I like it better than any jerky I've bought.

Mine's pretty simple. I marinade in soy sauce, molasses, and cheap red wine for about two days rolling everything around and stirring twice a day. sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper, cold smoke it for about 10 minutes with hickory or mesquite, and then finish the drying in the oven for about 3-4 hours. Last batch I did from elk was 20 lbs of meat that needed rotated out of the freezer. It lasted less than a week.

You guys are a pain in my rear sometimes... NOW I'm craving jerky!! Off to the freezer to see what needs rotated out...
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Sorry I just found this thread. I have a corned venison recipe I really like. So I got the idea that it would make good jerky. I did not marinate as long as required for a roast. Then I placed the slices on a cookie sheet and cooked them in the oven. After removing them from the oven, I basted some of them with Tabasco and others with Lee and Perrins W sauce. Then dried them in my old Lem dehydrator at 155 degrees. These are doubly safe having both cure and temperature to prevent baddies. Now I have a jerky recipe I really like, too.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Brown Sugar ,....... Fixes anything that may be wrong ....

In Remembrance

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
    2 tbs. liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/3 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    About 1 1/2 lbs. venison sliced about 1/4 in. thick
    Marinate in refrigerator over night
    Dry in oven at 180* with door partially open until dried. The recipie calls for 1 tbsp. msg, which I do not use as we always eat it all in short order.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 04-05-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
    2 tbs. liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/3 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    About 1 1/2 lbs. venison sliced about 1/4 in. thick
    Marinate in refrigerator over night
    Dry in oven at 180* with door partially open until dried. The recipie calls for 1 tbsp. msg, which I do not use as we always eat it all in short order.
    Finally! A real recipe! I think I have most of that stuff already, may just try it.

Boolit Master

Just got done doing some myself today. Got to watch myself or else it turns into a diet!

I agree with the post above about a meat slicer, I got a 10" commercial and it takes longer to clean it than it does to slice up pounds of meat but well worth it for the consistency of slice thickness. Along with once you have it (and a good vacuum packer makes a good addition) you can buy whole black forest hams, Turkey, and other deli meats at Sam's and probably other places cheap and cut your own deli lunch meat $'s cheaper. I usually cut up a ham into breakfast steaks, thin sliced for sandwiches, and I cube some for salads and other uses. I vacuum pack it up in convenient sizes and freeze till I use it.

Anyway I slice up all of my meat and marinade it overnight in a bottle of Claude's Barbeque Brisket Marinade sauce and half a bottle of Liquid Smoke Mesquite, if it's a big batch I'll double the amount. I like it well covered. I personally also add the appropriate amount of cure, "sodium nitrite" to the mix to prevent Botulism. Would much rather deal with the small amount of added nitrite to my diet than a bout of a most likely fatal dose of Botulism.

In a very large shaker I mix 1/3 ground garlic, 1/3 ground onion, 1/3 black pepper, with 1 Tablespoon of Cayenne pepper added.

Notice that I'm using ground dried garlic and onion. The powdered stuff isn't the same and no need for more salt from the garlic, onion salted stuff.

Pull the meat from the marinade and lay on a cookie sheet or a cutting board and salt with the mix out of the shaker, load on to trays and into the smoker/dehydrator.

It has a smokey spicy flavor, personally I think it goes great with a cold Lone Star if you know what I mean

In Remembrance

+1 on the slicer. It makes uniform cutting so easy. Chilling the meat to just short of freezing helps with slicing.

Boolit Mold
    Ingredients

3 lbs deer
    1 cup soy sauce or teriyaki (use liquid not marinate)
    1/3 c. smoky BBQ sauce of choice
    2 tsp. garlic powder or salt
    1 tsp. onion salt
    2 tsp. seasoned salt or Montreal Steak Seasoning
    2 tsp. liquid smoke
    ½ cup brown sugar or honey
    2 tsp. cooking wine or balsamic vinegar. I like 1/4 cup of Canadian whiskey better.
    1 tsp. six pepper seasoning (Use 3 pepper if you can’t find six; black, white, red)
    3 tsp. jalapeno sauce or juice. I just mash up store bought prepared slices.

Directions

Cut meat into strips 1/8" to 1/4" thick; easiest if meat is slightly frozen. Marinate overnight in all ingredients making sure that each piece has been coated both sides. Place on racks in oven and bake at 200 F for one hour. Then place on racks in dehydrator. Alternate trays once or twice for approximately 8-12 depending on the temperature of your dehydrator. You can adjust amount of pepper or jalapenos to taste. The amount listed is for mild.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast