Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "Bang for your Buck" Assisted opening

Question Best "Bang for your Buck" Assisted opening

After spending the hetter part of the day drooling over benchmade knives at the local gun&Knife (which was what was mostly there) show, I got to wondering, what IS the best assisted open last resort knife for your money. So I came up with a way to quantify (or justify?) What I would be looking for.
    1) tough (needs to stand up to being carried in the worst conditions, with little needed maintenance)
    2) price.
    3) concealability/comfort (also form, can it be carried comfortably at the back of the belt, or in a back pocket)
    4) sharpenablility (can it hold a good edge but still he reasonably easy to sharpen)
    5) ergonomics (can it be easily employed in multiple ways if need be)

So, with that in mind, let the brainstorming begin..
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Bub
    Can we add blade style and length? I'm partial to tanto point (legal carry) and 5 3/8 inch blade since 5.5" is the max length for the blade in Texas IIRC.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cloakndagger View Post
    After spending the hetter part of the day drooling over benchmade knives at the local gun&Knife (which was what was mostly there) show, I got to wondering, what IS the best assisted open last resort knife for your money. So I came up with a way to quantify (or justify?) What I would be looking for.
    1) tough (needs to stand up to being carried in the worst conditions, with little needed maintenance)
    2) price.
    3) concealability/comfort (also form, can it be carried comfortably at the back of the belt, or in a back pocket)
    4) sharpenablility (can it hold a good edge but still he reasonably easy to sharpen)
    5) ergonomics (can it be easily employed in multiple ways if need be)

So, with that in mind, let the brainstorming begin..
    You just described the Benchmade model 580. You can pick one up on Evil-bay for around $80 if your patient.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by migtek02 View Post
    Can we add blade style and length? I'm partial to tanto point (legal carry) and 5 3/8 inch blade since 5.5" is the max length for the blade in Texas IIRC.
    Benchmade also makes one with the less popular tanto blade. Again, I've seen them on Evil-bay. Don't recall the blade length.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at Kershaw line with the " speed safe " opening feature. Many styles to choose from , priced right and the steel used in the blades is easy to sharpen and hold up well. I have 3 Ken Onion designed and 1 R. J. Martin designed knives and like them all.

gary

Boolit Master

i like BenchMade Griptillan with the plain blade. had mine for 4 years now so
    $25. bucks a year.not too bad for a fine knife thats made in the USA
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    i like BenchMade Griptillan with the plain blade. had mine for 4 years now so
    $25. bucks a year.not too bad for a fine knife thats made in the USA
    Same here, great work/everyday blade. For other "functions" kids functions, dinners etc, my Spyderco Delica SS is used because it's slimmer and in a pinch doubles as a money clip.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Check out Kershaw Blur great knife made in U.S.A. found mine for around $55 on Amazon.com. FB

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Buck Rush, stainless skeleton frame doesn't hold debris ,pocket clip acts with the design of the frame and positions the knife in the outer corner of a front pocket for easy acess, positve lock open and closed, high carbon stainless blade is easy to sharpen and has decent edge holding, touches up with a few strokes , scimatar shape when open fills the hand and positions the blade at the correct angle for carving-shaving type strokes or can be reversed in the hand for a punch-slash self defense move, under 50 bucks.

Just wish they made it a little larger all around.
    Last edited by dagger dog; 01-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Right now I'm carrying a kershaw leek, the next step up in my collection is a schrade beast as far as size. I'm seriously considering several benchmade knives right now, actualy all it'd take would be for one to show up on the used market.
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Mold
    Kershaw OSO Sweet

Kershaw Shallot for a decent size assisted opener... super tough, good steel, decent price.

Boolit Master
    I have carried a SOG for a year now and beat the tar out of it, it has been a good knife for working on the ranch after what i have put it through. It fits good in the hand, although it is not maximised for fighting. I have been thinking about getting a Benchmade or similar high quality knife a bit more defense minded for in town, but will continue to carry the SOG out here since it has proven to be tough, yet cheap enough that in the very real possibilty i lose it working, it won't be as heartbreaking as a more expensive blade.
    I also like Kershaw's Speedsafe knives, they seem to be a good value and have a good strong assist to them, that is what Miss K carrys everyday.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    SOG Flash II. Under $50. Good steel, holds a good edge, sinks deep in a pocket with the clip. What more could a guy want? Well, other than I much prefer plain old high carbon tool steel over stainless anything, but the SOG fits with what the OP was asking.

Is it strictly for defense use, or do you want everyday utility as well? I own literally hundreds of knives, but only a few are for everyday carry as both tools and defensive purposed weapons. I typically avoid the assisted openers for a variety of reasons. One, I practice with the knives I carry until I can open them without a thought and as rapidly as a full auto. I started years ago with a variety of Spydercos and Cold Steels (I love Cold Steel knives). Then I started carrying a brace of Benchmades; an Elishewitz Mini Stryker in my right pocket and the full-auto Mini-Reflex in the left. There's the second reason: I live in an enlightened state where switchblades are legal. I'm such a tard with my left hand, a full-auto is the only reliable opener for that side. The Stryker is by far my favorite ever folder. It has a rather unique thumb stud that is so much more reliable and faster than the norm that it's ridiculous. I has a very tough semi-tanto, semi-serrated blade that works as well for opening boxes and trimming your nails, as it does for gutting a fish, or whoever. I retired it a couple years ago and have been through a pile of knives to supplant it since. The Mini-Reflex is still right where it belongs and has been for well over 15 years. The blade is still nearly pristine, the point will still dig out a sliver, and it's been through a lot of cardboard boxes. My current right hand knife is a CRKT M-16-10KZ with the tanto, semi-serrated blade. It's a nice size and weight, fits my kinda small hand well, holds a pretty good edge and has a very trick index finger assist (no spring) that makes it very fast to get into action. It's only drawback is that it requires a bit of occasional maintenance to keep functioning smoothly. But I work it pretty hard every day, so I don't mind. I also have its bigger brothers, the M16-13ZM and the M16-14ZSF. The 13 is a very lovely knife, the 14 is a brute and a beautiful big utility fighter.
    But if it's an assisted fighter that you want, my fave (and the only assist I own, outside of dozens of switches) is the Gerber 4" Applegate-Fairbairn. It's a lot of knife in a well designed package with an assist that will make you recoil shy. They list for anywhere from $90 to something ridiculous, but I got mine at a gun show brand new for $40; seen 'em online for 45 -65. I think the clip is mounted on the wrong end, but I said the same thing about a Cold Steel Mariner that I carried for a while and with a little practice I got it into action faster than a switch, so I could probably learn the Gerber. I really only bought it just 'cuz I always wanted one and now it watches me from the top of my bookshelves across the room.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Buddy
    I have never been much for the assisted openers the fastest out of the pocket design it the waved Emerson but they are pricy the fastest general action is the bench made axis but with practice you can open any knife with a twisting flick of the wrist my daily carry for the past 6 years has been a spyderco salt lock back

Boolit Mold
    I have used a folding lock blade knife for hunting that my grandmother bought me when I was a kid from a novelty/practical joke magazine because I wasnt old enough to buy it myself (I'm 40 now). I got it because my name is John, and it had BIG JOHN engraved on the side of the blade. On Ebay its detailed as being from Pakistan, and made from Solingen steel. I don't care what anyone says, its been the best knife I've ever had! Its held an edge for years, and never given me any problems other than a little corrosion on the handle. Seeing them on ebay, I might buy another!

Boolit Grand Master

Cold Steel Voyager, it's getting a little long in the tooth (clip needs re-attaching) but today I used it to dispatch a copperhead that showed up a little too close for comfort (on a box I was carrying!). It immediately showed up in my hand, ready to go to work and more than up to the task.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I also like the unassisted Griptillian for a hard use knife. The Axis mechanism is superb. I would really like to get the assisted version but too spendy just for the additional assist. For assisted I like the Kershaw Leek: sleek smooth operation, holds an edge well, made in USA. Very sharp point but has held up well. If I need to pry, dig, slice and hack then I use the Griptillian.

Banned
    Another vote for Kershaw. I've been more than happy with mine...Amazon for less than $60, if I remember correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9026.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	121455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9035.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	121456

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast