Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: beretta tomcat .32

Boolit Master

beretta tomcat .32

my gf just got her ccw/car gun, a Beretta tomcat .32.

its a nice feeling gun, and points so well that her first 3 shots hit the 10yd target(even tho her eyes were closed the first shot.).

im pretty unfamiliar with the guns, any tips, tricks, advise?

Boolit Grand Master
    An excellent choice for a ladies gun! Though not as light and concealable as some of the current crop of mini-guns, it is much more shootable and easy to load, thanks to the tip-up barrel. You don't have to struggle the slide back. I've had mine for several years now, and it has been an excellent shooter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I had both a Tomcat and a Bobcat (.22LR) for a few years. Never had any problems with either and they were always realiable.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I have one and like it, but watch for the frame to crack at the thin spot on the right rail. The pistol can lock up if it cracks and the tab of metal bends upward. The potential to crack or for the crack to cause secondary problems at any time means it is just a range/plinking gun for me.

Boolit Master
    Glenda, got one a few years ago and loves it

+1 on keeping an eye out for frame cracks. I had a blued one a few years ago, locked up tight while I was shooting it. Sent it back to Beretta. Two months later got it back, fixed. It didn't get through the first mag before it jammed again. The shop I bought it from took it back and gave me credit for something else.
    I did like it, though...

Boolit Bub

To add some info, there were either 1000 or 1500 (I forget) Tomcats made several years ago with Titanium frames instead of Aluminum. I have never heard of one of these Ti framed Tomcats cracking. They're hard to find and slightly heavier, but if you really like the model, keep an eye out for one. I own one of them, and it's utterly reliable. It cost me $625, and I'd pay that again as I'm a big Beretta fan and the Tomcat fills a niche for me.

Also, instances of frame cracking have been reduced, but not eliminated, with the newer "Wide Slide" Tomcats. All of the Inox (stainless) Tomcats have the Wide Slide, and I think the wide slide may have been phased in for at least some blued models also. I guess the idea was to slow the slide down by adding mass, and it's worked so-so. The proper fix would be to bring back the Titanium frame, or redesign the Aluminum frame.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you like the 32 ACP in sub-compact form, try a Walther PPK. All steel, NEVER break, feeds HPs readily. I'm not wild about PP-series pistols in 380, but in 32 ACP they are a match made in heaven.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I have one and like it, but watch for the frame to crack at the thin spot on the right rail. The pistol can lock up if it cracks and the tab of metal bends upward. The potential to crack or for the crack to cause secondary problems at any time means it is just a range/plinking gun for me.
    Yes...pay attention to the ammunition selection listed in the manual. These little pistols are fine if you stick to standard pressure ball ammo.

If you try shoot souped-up reloads or hot factory ammo...you just might experience the crack. Ain't any such thing as '.32 ACP +P'...however some ammunition factorys have some beefed up loads trying to turn the .32 into something it's not!...This ammo is not for the Tomcat!

Boolit Master

They have nice sights that you can actually aim with , not like the bobcat !
    IMO the only draw back is if you would get a round to fail to fire in a CCW aplication and it did not fire on a second strike , there is no extractor to pull the case from the chamber! you would have to tip up the barrel remove the dud round , push the barrel down and rack the slide , this takes way to much time in a CCW senairo . the correct procedure with a gun with a extractor is, if you have a missfire is to rack the slide to remove the dud round and feed a new round into the chamber.
    The whole line of the Beretta small autos in 22 short, 22lr, 25 auto & 32 acp is theres no extracter they use the blowback action to do the job .IMO a bad idea for a CCW gun if you would get a missfire.
    The 25 autos are more reliable than the 22 s & lr guns.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 01-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    yeh..the lack of an extractor sort of concernd me at first...However after some shooting with a new Tomcat(bought last summer)..and about zero functional issues with ball ammo...I just stick to ball ammo and shoot.

Features I like about the Tomcat are the DA trigger system..the safety(It has one!)..servicable sights(has these too)..the overall comfortable feel and fit is superior to many midget pistols...the flip-up barrel makes checking the chamber easy...a nice size package. Yes they make even smaller .380's. but too small is about as good as too big. the Beretta Tomcat is a nice size and doesn't feel like it belongs on the end of a keychain.

Things I don't like about the Tomcat..the cracking/ammo issue, I got no problem shooting .32acp ball ammo and realize that no matter how much you might soup up the round it ain't a big-bore man-stopper. However it's obvious these little pistols are on the ragged edge of what the size/design can handle....The square tip on the trigger isn't real comfortable for DA use...not too fond of the push-button mag release in the grip(would prefer a heel release)...about no stores stock extra magazines, although many stores sell the Beretta Tomcat, extra mag is a mailorder deal...

The Tomcat ain't for everybody..and it's not real cheap either. I like mine and have had no issues with it.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    ...IMO the only draw back is if you would get a round to fail to fire in a CCW aplication and it did not fire on a second strike , there is no extractor to pull the case from the chamber!....
    I have often wondered how many people have had ND's with this style of pistol by not actually looking in the chamber, but just racking the slide and assuming 'empty' because nothing was ejected.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe i View Post
    I have often wondered how many people have had ND's with this style of pistol by not actually looking in the chamber, but just racking the slide and assuming 'empty' because nothing was ejected.
    Same sort of fellow who starts to clean his Glock and blows a hole in something or someone...

Boolit Master
    I enjoy my Tanfoglio (FIE) "Titan" of Italy. The pistol is all-steel and is accurate as all get out. (Lots of fun for everyone.) I prefer to shoot the European-spec .32 ACP ammunition (manufactured right here in the good old US of A.) This stuff generates about 160 fpe and is great for SD applications. If one empties this full-sized .32 into someone's eyes, suddenly he'll be explaining his activities to the Lord God Almighty.

Scott

Boolit Buddy

I like my 3032 Tomcat. Don't carry it much. Can carry my Keltec P3AT or J frame Smith just as easy as the Tomcat. Never had any problems out of it and is extremely accurate in single action for such a small gun. Only shoot factory ball ammo.
    Para82