RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Misfire Retry

Boolit Master

Misfire Retry

I was shooting my Rem M581 bolt gun.
    I had a FTF and decided to try it again by rotating it 90 degrees.
    Bad idea. It fired alright, but the rim failed where the firing pin had hit it the first time.
    A small puff of smoke can out the side of the bolt and the right extractor was blown out.
    I have done this many times before and never had a rim fail.
    I know 22lr ammo is not THAT expensive to risk having this happen again.
    Just a word of caution.
    Anyone ever have a case fail in this manner?
    My advice: Don`t try to make a 22lr case fire after the rim has been weakened by the firing pin.
    BTW, the firing pin in this gun makes a very heavy strike on the rim of the case.
    I have shot many 1000s of rounds through this gun.....dale

Boolit Master
    Good advice, i too have often turned a case and hit it again, but with the cost versus the possibility, i think i will just leave my duds at that! Generally i don't get many duds with the Federal or CCI ammo i prefer, but as we all know Rems are known for them. I had a dud the other day that i pulled the bullet off of and the priming compound poured out with the powder so either it as already loose or the pin strike knocked it loose. I have had one case failure in a .22 from a too long and sharp firing pin i detailed here last summer that blasted the bolt knob clean off the auto i was firing, one is enough for me i don't care to repeat!
    Glad you were ok and didn't get anything in the hands or face!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    Yikes!
    Never would have thought that would happen. I've done it several times in the past, won't be doing it in the future.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master

I just get a pair of pliers and pull the bullet and drop it into my melting pot for recycling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I just get a pair of pliers and pull the bullet and drop it into my melting pot for recycling.
    Ditto. Lead in the pot and the powder into the burn can.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Given the number of people and number of tries this has been done in the past without trouble, it's tempting to suggest that the OP's incident is more a warning that his firing pin is at fault (needs rounded over or shortened a hair) rather than that retrying a misfired rimfire round is a bad idea.

BTW, the firing pin in this gun makes a very heavy strike on the rim of the case.
    This is what needs adjustment, IMO. No reason the striker should make a deeper indent than will reliably fire good ammunition. No, nothing says you must retry every .22 misfire -- but even the lawsuit-paranoid manufacturers don't warn against restriking a misfired cartridge.

Boolit Master

I`m not convinced the the heavy firing pin strike is a bad thing, Unless I am retrying a FTF case.
    I have shot 10s of thousands of 22s through this gun without mishap.
    This is however the first time I`ve retried FTFs.
    I will NOT be doing that again....dale

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I will NOT be doing that again....dale
    As I said -- nothing says you must, and if your rifle doesn't pierce the case on the first strike with a good round, it's not unsafe by common standards. Your rifle, your face. I may have had one .22 LR misfire out of the few thousand rounds I've fired (was without a .22 rifle for twenty-some years and a revolver just isn't the same as a tube-fed rifle for things like ground squirrels), and I most likely just ejected the round and kept on. I'm just saying that retrying shouldn't be unsafe, if everything is working as the ammunition and firearm manufacturers appear to expect it to do.