MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Banned

nikon monarchs are hard to beat for the price. Ive got a set of 8x42s and just recently bought a more expensive (twice the price) minox 10x50s and the nikons actually have better glass. Ive seen a few shootouts in magazines and online and in the under 500 dollar class there allways voted best bang for the buck.

Over the years I've acquired swift, burris, low end steiners, and recently nikon monarch 10X42. For the money, the nikons win hands down. My testing was based on the scientific "old eyes" test!! lol

I have a pair of Leupold 10x50's. I got them on sale for around $200 IIRC. They are a couple years old and are still crystal clear.

Boolit Master
    My wife got me for christmas two year's ago, a pair of Nikon Action 10x40's, i love them. before that i had a pair of Tasco's for K-mart from back in the 70's. the Nikon's were under a $100, more like $79.99. i've never looked through a pair of expensive Bino's, but then again i've never drove a RollsRoyce either!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a 20x50 Selsi binocular, WW II Japanese that I wouldn't trade for love or money
    Field of view - 3 degrees
    157 feet @ 1000yds
    Sharp focus and crystal clear optics
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    My wife got me for christmas two year's ago, a pair of Nikon Action 10x40's, i love them. before that i had a pair of Tasco's for K-mart from back in the 70's. the Nikon's were under a $100, more like $79.99. i've never looked through a pair of expensive Bino's, but then again i've never drove a RollsRoyce either!
    I bought a pair of Ziess binocs off Ebay, military surplus out of East Germany for 60 bucks I think. They were probably built from the same factory the Nazis used to make binocs. All metal case, very durable.
    Last edited by Ivantherussian03; 04-05-2013 at 12:50 AM.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Boolit Buddy
    aus Jena?
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Used the Tasco brand and Bushnell for years and never thought about anything better. Still have a 7x Bushnell here in Peru.
    All changed at the Big Indy 500 gunshow 10 years plus ago. Feller there out in the middle of the 1500 tables sells glass. On the corner of his 4 tables was a stack of Steiner Predator. Was the model being closed out so they were a bargain at less than half of his good price on the new ones. Tried one looking into a far dark corner up in the girders. Could see details his Tasco's and Bushnells did not reveal. I bought those Steiners and have never regreted it. They are 8x, fixed focus and a real joy to use. I do not glass across canyons but hunt river bottoms. I am alsways amazed at what I can see through those Steiners That I cannot see with a own eyes.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have a 7x Steiner. Absolutely wonderful glass. They have great low light visibility, and have a handy range finding reticle in the right eye. They are the same set that I used in Afghanistan and central Africa...just not as beat up. I've dropped my identical issued set out of moving vehicles, fully submerged them in water, and let them bake on the dash of a hmmwv to no effect.

I also have a cheaper 10x set of Steiner's, and they are handy for ballgames and concerts. Not as good in dim light, but still excellent overall. My wife likes this set better, as they are lighter and she's addicted to optical power.

In Remembrance
    Kir, if you don't mind my asking, what model steiners are those 7x ones.

Boolit Mold
    I am curious where everyone sends their binoculars for repair? or do you do it yourself to an extent?

Boolit Master

I just sent my Vortex Razors back to Vortex for repair (In Wisconsin since they are a US company). They got bumped a little too hard (dropped) and required re-collumnation. Look at Vortex optics - best warranty in the business - they will fix anything - and I mean anything (ran over by the truck, dropped off a cliff - you name it) on their dime, no questions asked. And my binoculars will stand right up there with the Nikon Monarchs head to head - not as good as Swarovskis in low light, but just as bright and clear otherwise at less than half the cost.

I've got a pair of 10x Stieners that I use for work and hunting deer. They've stood about 15 years of banging around in a patrol car and a hunting backpack. LOVE EM !
    Copper
    Copper75

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Boolit Master

I have to agree with you JackQuest - the ole navy 7X50's can run with the big dogs all day long but you'll play hell finding them today. I used the USN 7X50's for 20 years and when the owner died I no longer had the opportunity to use them, so 25 years ago or so I purchased the Steiner 7X50 Military-Marine binocular made in West Germany and they are a real close second to those ole USN 7X50's.

I've looked through a Zeiss 8X56 in the field and it's a fine piece of equipment - the very best I've ever looked through but they are not that much better than my Steiner that I would ever consider spending $2.5K on them - but they are better, no doubt about that.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been working with binos for a number of years, here's some suggestions

I like any steiner product because of the use of individual adjustment for each yeah, sucks if multiple people are using them with re-adjustments
    If you try to support anything dealing with USA made stuff, as far as I know Zeiss is the only bino that is made in Germany but everything is assembled in the states (if you look around you can get one in your range) I personally like Zeiss because you do look in HD in extreme low light. (the new Redfields are no longer made in the states as far as the scopes so the bino might be doing the same)
    I also Vortex in my Opinion the best Cheap Binos on the market (under 300 bucks) They are the only company with the best warranty. It pretty much reads We will take care of it. I have compared these to a 500 pair of Leupold and very little difference. The Leupolds have a beeter multicoat but not by much

If you cant afford the highend when you make your purchase look at Vortex

Steiners all the way! I bought a pair of 9X some years back and have not regretted spending the money for them!

Boolit Master

A couple of years ago, I went to a flea market here in NY and found a pair of Leitz 7x's, $65 and in my bag. Fantastic glasses and marked Made In Germany. Great for NY woods and lightweight. Next table had some military binocs, all rubbered up, individual focus, 8x's, marked Hensoldt Wetzlar, $30, and in my bag. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality. The Military ones are heavy, though.

Boolit Mold
    Just an FYI for anyone looking for some new (used) binocs check out samplelist dot com.

Boolit Master

I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 10X40 about ten years ago and have been happy with them paid a little over $300. I bought them for a good all around hunting bino but would like to have a smaller compact pair for bow hunting. FB

I got my Steiners before they got any military contracts. But my 7X50s are wonderful. I have several other cheap pairs. But when I want to see what I'm looking at without a spotting scope, the Steiners are what I use.

Good luck
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA