Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here like Wool Filson Winter Gear?

Who here likes Wool Filson Winter Gear?

Who here likes Wool Filson Winter Gear?
    My stores are empty but I have it on my wish list.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-13-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: rrrr

In Remembrance
    Love it, but the cost is hard to justify. They do last forever though.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Love it, but the cost is hard to justify. They do last forever though.
    I know what your saying. We have been watching on ebay.

In Remembrance
    I watched ebay for wilson stuff a couple of years ago, but just couldn't bid on any of it. That kind of stuff I want to lay eyes on and even try on before I buy. A couple of stores here handle it, so maybe one day. lol

I like it, but it gets shreaded here in the midwest. I do have a pair of Filson canvas chaps I'm fond of.

Boolit Master
    Really like Filson stuff but cost made me figure out work-arounds a long time ago. I do have a Filson tin cloth jacket though and use it for heavy brush busting when running a chainsaw. For pants that need to be tough in wet or windy weather- I found milsurp US issue tight knit, low nap wool dress pants are the best for me. I bought enough pairs @ $10 per pair to last my lifetime. For really cold conditions I add poly long under wear.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Bub
    Yes, I have a wool vest I wear often. Once I see the quality I understand the price if they are the made in USA items. Another possibility for you might be Stormy Kromer, also very well made outdoor woolens but a little less expensive. Not as many tall sizes for us that need that extra sleeve length but good looking stuff.
    Joe

In Remembrance
    I have a couple of pairs of carhart insulated over pants. They are not wool, but are warm and pretty rugged. These have served well for 8 years now and are none the worse for wear. Iirc They were just a little over a hundred a pair when I purchased them, which I guess is not bad for as long as they last.

Who here likes Woolrich Winter Gear?

I like there bibs. I still don't have any but I really like them.
    We have 10 of their Buffalo Plaid wool shirts.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-13-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: yyyy

+1 on Filson and woolrich. The Filson stuff is a bit spendy, but worth it. Caant say enough good things.

Boolit Man
    Good Evening;

The Filson stuff looks pretty good, but I prefer Johnson Woolen Mills.

D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

I really like their Mackinaws.

I like Johnson Woolen Mill gear too. Fortunate to live 20-30 minutes from their factory store
    Vermont...First Republic...Fourteenth State

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time,,,,

Boolit Master
    About 5 years ago, just before I retired and while I could still afford it, I purchased one of Filsons double mackinaw cruisers in their camo weave. VERY HEAVY, but VERY WARM. Just the ticket for stand hunting. I thought long about the cost, but I think it's worth it.

30 years ago I bought a Woolrich, lined Red and black plaid jacket for my teenage son to start hunting in. It went from him to my oldest grandson who passed it down to his younger brother who doesn't hunt but wears it all winter (2nd year now). It is still perfect! I also have one of their vests which I wear for yard work.

About 20 years ago I bought a Johnson "mid weight" unlined green and black plaid, caped cruiser from Fox Ridge (TC) Outfitters for daily Fall and Spring wear. It also is still perfect. It is similar to their #11 Cruiser which now comes with a lining. I also have 2 of their Buffalo plaid heavy wool shirts (no longer made) which have held up extremely well. I've also had a pair of green wool pants for hunting about 25 years now.

All in all I am happy with these three manufacturers. All in all, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Irascible; 01-15-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Buddy

I love filson but the price of one of there cruisers makes me think I am going to make one myself

Moderator Emeritus

I have been using Woolrich bibs and Codet pants for a while. The last purchase was about 10 years ago. There are warmer ones than Woolrich bibs but they seem to work for what I do.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Love Life
    I'm in the market for a new coat and the I really like the Filson Tin Cloth lined ranch coat. I hunt in winter where it can be below freezing most of the time I am out. Will this coat provide more warmth or the same level of warmth as my Carhart coat? I layer up like a champ as it is, but will I be gaining anything with one of these coats?

I always enjoy getting Filson gear someone grew out of for some $ jingle.

Boolit Master
    I broke down years ago, for a Filson tin Packer coat. have since purchased the Lt., Mid. & Hvy. zip-in wool liners. This thing is like being wrapped in a rino, warm as all getout and windproof. I don't know who'll wind up with my Filson "you name its" after Im gone, but I know it'll still be going strong. I LOVE my Filson stuff, it doesn't wearout like the multitude of items that I've replaced with it. Buy once - cry once yes, but IMO I'm ahead in the long run. Great stuff.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Bob

In Remembrance
    Love life, if your carhart has the black lining (artic), I doubt the filson will be warmer. I am not familiar with the tin cloth, but it may not get as stiff as the carhart in the cold.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast