Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Coleman Stove Image and Repair Thread

I frequently visit our local metals recycle yard. So far I have brought home 19 Coleman stoves of all types. Most are two burners of different sizes and I have two three burners, a couple of them use propane.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Cool idea, I must try that, I am a bit of a stove-a-holic!

Check out the folding firebox, amazing idea, great stove. http://foldingfirebox.com/

With all of the prunings from the trees in the garden dried out, I reckon I could do most of our cooking on this baby.I am flat out using the stuff I prune as it is. Waste not, want not.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

forgot to mention what I payed for the coleman stoves, .20 per pound. so they were less than $3.00 each.

Gotta love that!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

We have 2 of the older 2 burner stoves. One is a very narrow stove. But the other is several inches wider and my wife likes it a lot. But if it's just she and I we usually take the little one.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I also have the propane adapter for my 2 and 3 burner stoves they are worth it if you can find one.
    When I do a search for a Coleman Stove propane adapter, I get so many results it makes my head spin. Which adapter should I be looking for?

I have an older (60s-70s era) two burner Coleman fuel stove.

Thanks.

David
    Last edited by dsbock; 07-07-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

I dont know what its called for sure, but its a straight metal tube that you screw the little bottle onto.
    It goes into the same place as the pump up tank and sticks out the front of the stove.

I just looked it up and its called a propane converter.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I dont know what its called for sure, but its a straight metal tube that you screw the little bottle onto.
    It goes into the same place as the pump up tank and sticks out the front of the stove.

I just looked it up and its called a propane converter.
    This one looks like it will do the job.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Man
    I have never compared a coleman stove on fuel to one on propane. I did camp with a couple that brought a propane bottle hooked up to a cast iron countertop single burner thing. It lit fast and needed no pumping, but at breakfast we cooked the bacon, eggs, and made toast on the coleman and the water for coffee still hadn't boiled on the propane contraption. I have used a single burner coleman backpacking stove and a firefly and both were very handy. The coleman was a little heavier but could store the fuel inside the stove tank and boiled water very fast and effiently. I have a lot of two burner stoves and two mantle lanterns in my shop as we speak. I never paid over five dollar for any of them at garage sales and most were about three. The generators are the main thing to keep on hand. If you are lucky enough to find one with leather in the pump they can usually be brought back to workable condition by saturating them with three in one oil. I have only replaced a leather when one was used so much it was worn down to no skirt at all then the rubber "leather" was a viable fix. My main problem has been when dirt dobbers build their nest in the burners. You have to take the layers apart and put them in the dishwasher to clean them. Dry them good and put them back together and they are good to go. You learn a lot by simply using them a lot and depending on them to the extent that you have to fix them to cook. I also like cooking with cast iron over coals but that is a different thread altogether.

I just need a propane stove now.....

If you like stoves and camping, you'll love this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fireboxstove

I had an email conversation with a man at Coleman a few weeks back. I asked if unleaded gasoline would work. Coleman fuel in the 1 gallon can here costs $13.99 a gallon. He said to stay away from the ethanol mix stuff and get pure gasoline. There are a few places in our area that sell it for about $3.75 a gallon. He said it would work fine.

Be careful.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Another interesting alternative;

http://www.biolitestove.com/

Boolit Master

Built a 1/2" steal rod frame to carry the weight and smelt lead on my two burner.

Coleman fuel is free so it is a good deal.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I have since seen a review on youtube about the charging performance of the biolite stove, pretty bloody ordinary, not worth worrying about unless you have hours to spare and are prepared to feed considerable amounts of fuel into it. Nexttttttttttttttt!!! haha!

Boolit Buddy

Four Fingers, thanks for posting the link to Firebox. I just received mine. I was looking for something to make shore lunch when I go canoeing. I would not have discovered it on my own, thanks. There is wood debris everywhere along the shore, so fuel will be free, what a neat stove.

The icing is, my wife wanted a Swiss Army knife with a saw blade, so we're both happy.

I'm glad you like it shtur. I bought my late wife an Officer's Model Swiss Army Knife years ago and she was totally stoked. She carried it everywhere in her handbag. I now have it and it is real special. I must get it engraved in her memory.

I finally bit the boolit and bought a Folding Firebox as well. Great bit of kit. I was a bit slow to jump on one as the shipping to Australia was pretty impressive, but now we have an agent here.

As well as hunting trips and motorcycle touring, mine will also see lots of use on my front verandah near the bbq. I have a table set up and eat there a lot. I have several trees which I prune and use the 'sticks' in the fire as kindling. We have a big plastic box on the verandah full of dried prunings in winter so plenty of freebie fuel.

I also sit outside my garage and use it to make a cuppa when I have finished working. Very soothing.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-05-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Boolit Master

My wife and I still have our 2 burner we bought in 1969. We used it for 2 years for picnics when dating then for a few years camping when we married. After camping we bought land and made a cabin it was used as the stove there for several years until electric lines were installed on our road.

After that it went back to picnic duty until now and is still going. I have used it when all my sisters kids and I hunted and camped and for camping when our own son was growing.

I have replaced the pump leathers 3 times and the rod whatever it is called twice. The only fuel ever used was Coleman fuel, 2 gallons a year in the heavy use years and now 1 lasts for a couple.

You certainly got your money's worth. I also use Coleman Fuel, cheap enough and clean burning.

Boolit Buddy

Question for you stove guys. I have a two burner Coleman stove number 416 I believe, not exactly positive on the number, it works great but it's missing the grating that covers the burners so I'm not able to use it. Do any of you know where I can get one for this stove?
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?