Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Coleman Stove Image and Repair Thread

Official Coleman Stove Image and Repair Thread

Official Coleman Stove Image and Repair Thread

Coleman Stove very old 3 burner 426C.

Last edited by Just Duke; 01-12-2013 at 08:55 PM.

In Remembrance
    I switched over to propane several years back for all my stove and lantern needs. This worked very well at deer or elk camp as I could run the stove and a couple of lanterns off of a 5 gal propane bottle. Since moving up here I seldom even take a lantern camping and usually use wood for cooking, so the stuff is basically stored.

Boolit Bub
    When we bought our house there was an old 2 burner Coleman camp stove in the attic. I took it down cleaned it up and it only needed new leather gaskets in the pressure cup and it works great, also found a MSR fuel bottle fits inside alongside the factory tank for double fuel storage for the long hunts, added it to the camping gear and love telling the story of my attic find!

Boolit Grand Master

Have an old favorite, large two burner.
    It's my brother's, found it @ a garage sale for $5. Been using it for years and the price tag is still on it. Ol' Blue feels right at home on top of that old soldier, think it was made in the '60's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 103.jpg  
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I have 1 or 2 of the 2 burners here I used for camping and melting lead for cannonballs...They just keep on working !

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Mold
    My wife and I got one for christmas a while back, we took it out for a camping trip, used it twice and got caught in a rain storm. We went to use it for the next camping adventure and it would not work. I can pump away and it quit pushing fuel out of the nozzle, so it does not work. I had planned to take it on a hunting trip but it was still a no go.
    Anyone know these things well enough to help me through what might be worng? I am guessing something in the fuel tank needs cleaned or taken apart, I just didn't find a good diagram for working on it. Help would be appreciated! I know it should work, too many people swear by these things and I like the dual fuel setup, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Duke, I picked up a stove EXACTLY like that about 3 years ago on ebay. NIB, $19.00 + shipping, I was shocked! My favorite though is a 2 burner Sears built by Coleman back in the 60's, came painted blue and yellow. My dad swooped it from a garage sale for 50 cents. Gotta love it.

In Remembrance
    Octabird It has been years since I have worked on one, But the only part I remember buying was the generator itself, the rest you should be able to blow out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octabird View Post
    My wife and I got one for christmas a while back, we took it out for a camping trip, used it twice and got caught in a rain storm. We went to use it for the next camping adventure and it would not work. I can pump away and it quit pushing fuel out of the nozzle, so it does not work. I had planned to take it on a hunting trip but it was still a no go.
    Anyone know these things well enough to help me through what might be worng? I am guessing something in the fuel tank needs cleaned or taken apart, I just didn't find a good diagram for working on it. Help would be appreciated! I know it should work, too many people swear by these things and I like the dual fuel setup, too.
    If you are using gasoline as fuel, I'd be popping a 1/2 cup of metho (methalyted spirits) into the fuel tank and trying again or just empty the fuel tank and start again with a small quantity of fuel (less to throw away if it goes wrong). Usually the only part I have found that goes wrong is the generator, but as your's is new, that shouldn't be cactus yet. Try blowing out the pipes, etc. Stand the stove with the burners facing down and taps open so that they can drain out.

That's all I can think of.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have a small Coleman camp stove (called a Feather I think) which I have had for years as well as a small lantern. I picked up a big ol' two burner similar to the ones above for peanuts at an auction,but the generator was shot, I ordered another, but never got around to fitting it.

These type of stoves have taken a bit of a pounding lately as those cheap Asian stoves with the cheap throwaway canisters have been on the market. These are not a bad product and actually include a piezo lighter built in. There is even a $20 adaptor to use the cheap canisters on the fancy Dan camp stoves. I will start a thread on this stove wityh photos if anyone is interested.

Nothing matches the satisfaction of cranking up a Coleman and cooking up a feed or boiling a brew.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 01-18-2013 at 06:19 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned
    Check out the Classic Camp Stove Forum at Spiritburner.com. You can probably get some help there. Pressurized gas stoves are fairly simple machines and I concur that the generator is likely the issue. If you're using E-10 fuel the ethanol will cause water problems if stored for any time. The gas generator will be the first thing to go. I think you will be able to repait it with little cost and have good stove again.
    Simple is Good!

Banned
    Opps, sorry, that last post was a reply to Octabird's question.

I don't bother using gasoline, a half gallon tin of Coleman fuel lasts a longgggggggggg time and isn't that expensive. It burns real clean and is handy for cleaning small stuff as well. The gasoline (or Gas Eileeeeen as Woody Guthrie pronounced it) burns a bit sooty. I went to a camping store because a lot of hunting friends were using the Coleman Feather Stoves and recommended the Coleman fuel. I asked the guy who ran the camping store (gone now, too hard to compete with the chain stores) and he pulled out a 20ltr (about 5 US Gallons) drum and sold it to me for not much more than gasoline (or petrol as we call it). It was marked Nalgene (dry cleaning fuel, virtually the same and heaps cheaper). Lasted me a long time! I don't use these stoves much now (have to change that) and am working my way through a half gal of Coleman fuel.

In Remembrance
    When I was a kid coleman fuel was called white gas if bought at a station and was cheaper than gasoline. It is funny how things have changed over the years. The newer colman products are multifuel, maybe the generators have a different seal material in them for use with gas.

You dont have to have a newer "duel fuel" to use gas. I run plain car gas in my stoves and lanterns in the summer and it works great. I do add Stabil to the jug tho and I leave Coleman fuel in them for winter storage.

At over $11/gallon for Coleman fuel I try not to burn any of that. I also have the propane adapter for my 2 and 3 burner stoves they are worth it if you can find one.

Boolit Buddy
    Rather than replace the generator I just clean mine. However, you will need access to the carb cleaner in the bucket, the stuff that stinks really bad. It will clean the varnish out after a good soak, the spray stuff wont touch it. I clean all of mine about every 5 years and keeps em like new.

I've never seen the carb cleaner in the bucket in Australia. Seen it plenty times in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science, etc. Boy, they were great mags, do they still sell them?

In Remembrance

YUP! "White Gas".Robert

Boolit Bub
    Try some Dawn dishwashing soap instead of carb cleaner,works good.

Quote Originally Posted by soli View Post
    Try some Dawn dishwashing soap instead of carb cleaner,works good.
    What do you do, just soak the generator pipe in a solution of Dawn and water? If that works t would be a much cheaper and easier option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast