WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Duck brown to camo.

Duck brown to camo.

Just ordered some snake proof chaps for my wife and I they are in medium brown. Anyone camo any of this fabric? I just want to just brake them up some, don't need realtree hd. just wondering what you used.
    hanks William.

Boolit Master
    Rustoleum camo paint. try green and black mixed on them brown chaps.

10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Moderator Emeritus

For short term go to your farm supply store and get camo vet wrap. It is the same stuff Dr's use for wrapping sprains, self sticking and come in camo. Mine cost $2.99 for 12' of 4".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    A simple way to camo , is to grab a few RIT fabric dyes.They come in several colors.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master

Just out of idle wondering, why do you want to change the color to camo? To me, unless you are hunting in snow, the color of duck blends pretty well with most things in nature. Just my opinion.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the RIT dye
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    black ink jet printer ink from one of those cheap refill kits
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    I took my Carharts and use flat primer paints to do the job.During deer season you don't want to wear duck brown.To many shoot at the deer color in the bush these days.It is a simple method.Put the gear on a hanger outside above the ground.If you lack a tree(fence/clothes line/ladder) then go borrow one.I used black, grey, tan, and green.As the material absorbs the paint you will need to coats.(of paint)I used the black first.I just made what look like branches from bottom to the top.I then made spot like leaves next to the lines.In Virginia there is green bushes,and trees year round.This now looked to dark.So I used the tan to make small wood branches from bottom to top.Now Mr.Jordon(Realtree) would be jealous.Here is where the grey comes in.I made lite areas(one coat) from top to bottom.(area would be 3-5 inches by a foot)I kept all such areas 8 inches or more apart.I let it dry for a day.Then I ran it through the wash with the special kill odor soap.I then place it in dryer. Then the last thing I did was fold it up with cedar,pine needles ,and dried apples.Placing the bib's,and coat in a heavy duty garbage bag,and kept in there till I got to where I was going hunting.
    If you want to make this look like grass don't use black or green.Make top to bottom lines of first grey,then tan,and last flat yellow.All this goes subtle on the cloth so don't spare the paint.
    The last results are that you get some extra water proofing,and learn how to make patterns that work in your area.If a group got together then the learned patters could be more readily shared.Attachment 75872
    First pair to camo pre-paint. Valdez Alaska
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Master
    Get creative with a bottle of black shoe polish.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Bub
    I would agree that RIT dyes are a good way to go. They cheap and I have actually dyed a lot of ghillie burlap with them. You can play around and mix the colors to get exactly what you want. Green, a bit of yellow and brown will get you a decent olive drab.

Boolit Bub
    Many years ago, before all the 'modern' camo was available, I used a black magic marker to disguise my gloves since that was the part I moved most.

I have never tried it, but my first thought was to lock a cotton ball in a set of forceps, dunk in bleach, make long diagonal stripes like cattail leaves. Let it soak for a while and wash.

The Rit dye is also a good one. My wife and I have been doing a tie die thing here for the last week.
    Mostly I liked the cherry red, royal blue, and lemon yellow.

I just used a syringe and pull 5-10 cc's of dye up and squirt into a squeeze bottle of water until I like the color.

Neat tricks, thanks for sharing. I like to camo some things like gas cans and ammo boxes using black as a base, then OD green and rust primer. Just like the way it looks.