RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock camping

Hammock camping

After years of using tent for camping, a couple of years ago on a hunt I got caught in a rainstorm.
    After the storm, the ground is really wet and muddy, even the floor underneath the tent gets squishy..
    and LEECHES!! wow, there are PLENTY of leeches coming out and climbs my tent, I can see them from the shadow on the tent walls..
    Yuck.. I still shivers thinking of them.

Since then I have been using hammock to camp.
    Beside the advantages of getting away from wet floor and leeches, I actually carries a bit less gear since I do not need mattress in a hammock,
    in winter I carry a piece of mylar coated bubblewrap to isolate the cold.
    I also sleep a lot better with cooling breeze below and above my body (Australia is quite warm most of the time).
    I could use the hammock for a comfortable seat, rather than sitting on a rock or log.
    I hang my boots on the harness so creepy crawlies do not get in during the night.
    On rainy days, the tarp (which is naturally hung high) provides good shelter where you could cook (cannot cook inside the tent)
    I even made my own hammock that with mozzie net, harnesses, tree huggers and tarp totals to about 1.2kg.

Yeah, I like hammock camping.

Banned

Post some pics if you have them would you please. I have been hearing more about this from friends that like to go on a trek in canoes.

I use a cot year round myself. even in the summer time the ground is still pretty cold here. I had never thought of a hammock before.

In Remembrance
    Do you put the wood stove under it, or how does that work. lol The only experience I have had with hammocks have not been what I would call good. lol

Boolit Master
    I suspect hammocks are very popular in Australia because of both the climate and the relative abundance of creepie crawlies comparted to the U.S. When I was a kid (back about the early 60s) we had a U.S. military tropical hammock probably WWII vintage that included a waterproof roof that could be extended with a couple of sticks, and of course mosquito netting that you unzipped to get into it. I don't know whatever became of it, but if a similar hammock is available as newer surplus or a commercial item it would be very handy indeed. I spent several nights camping in the back yard in it. I'm afraid now I would either break down such a hammock or wake up with my back in such a condition that I couldn't stand up straight.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I tried one of the high$ hammocks on a recent camping trip. Hated it. It was just too confining. Plus I'm cold-natured due to medication, and even though I used the cold-proof pad sold by the hammock company I was cold. Then when I added extra blankets to the already confining space, it was like sleeping in an extra-narrow mummy-style sleeping bag. I got up in the middle of the night and came home. I sold the hammock but kept the dandy rain fly.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Apart from Gelanderwhatisname (sorry mate,lol) above, I have only ever seen one person use a hammock in Australia and that was my sister in law, a hardcore bushwalker. I have dabbled with a few beside the pool, etc, but generally found them very uncomfortable unless you dangled your legs over the side and then they went to sleep after awhile. The big amazon style jungle ones where yo sleep sideways look pretty comfortable,but would not be very portable.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/...ican/index.php

I use a Clark North American Jungle Hammock and love it - I can only sleep on my side, and this one works great. Not so much creepy crawlies I'm getting away from, but rocks, pinecones and uneven ground. With the rain fly buttoned down you can go through practically a hurricane - Get the right hammock, and you will never feel confined.

They are amazing hammocks that's for sure. I would like to se a video on the double version.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Here are a couple of my hammocks.
    Both have mozzie nets, with Amsteel suspension lines, nylon tree hugger and ripstop nylon base.

This is a 3 meter x 1.8 meter double based hammock, very spacious even for a large bloke such as I am who is about 6 foot 110kg.
    I use a large tarp above it so I have a place to sit and cook or just relax underneath.
    Total weight including tarp is about 2 kg.

Here is one I made for bush walking in good weather.
    It is 3 meters x 1.5 meter, slightly smaller than the above, perfect for warm weather and overnighters.
    I usually do not bring tarp on clear nights.
    The weight of this hammock is about 450 grams, and can be tucked into one of my cargo pants pocket.

There are plenty of good hammock makers if you want to buy them.

Hennessy Hammock, ENO hammock and Warbonnet hammock are a few that are very famous for their products.
    I am a cheapie, I made my own.
    If you want to make your own, go to the Hammock Forums, there exist a huge knowledge base of hammocking and hammock making.

Why sleep on beds, where you can sleep in the clouds?

Boolit Master

If used them on and off over the years. Depends on terrain and climate. One thing I do hate about them is that everything on my belt will catch in the netting (knives, phones, buttons).

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Man
    I camped in an old mill surplus jungle hammock when I was a kid. I have always thought about taking an overnight canoe trip when the river is up and out of it's banks. You should be able to hang the hammock over the water while still in the canoe. There would be no concern of humans bothering you, but I worry that you may wake up with a snake or some other visitor in your bed.

About 15 years ago I got to the point where I couldn't get comfortable sleeping on the ground, no mater how thick the sleeping pad was. I bought a 3" self inflating Cabella's pad and that didn't work either. My hips would be the first thing to bother me. Finally I started making hammocks out of rip-stop and never turned back. I have one for just about every purpose. While living in Naples, FL, I bought a bunch of Dade County voting machines for a dollar apiece after the '04 election and have used the aircraft quality aluminum legs for hammock stands that collapse into a gym bag. I use these a lot when I set a hammock up on the beach. Here are a few of the hammocks that I've made through the years.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand made jungle hammock.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	76452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonita3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	76451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat hammock.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	76453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	76454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jungle 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	76455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line tensioner.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	76456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010047.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	76457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	76458

I've known about this guy for many years http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ They make a quality product and I have been going to get one for Jeep Camping. Much quicker to set up than a tent and much less hassle too. You use one end hooked to the top of the Jeep and the other to a pole with tie downs like in the pics above or a tree or whatever you can anchor it to.

I have a small tent that erects on top of a large army cot which I have used one time. It was OK and got you off the ground, but you couldn't sit up in it and so it was a bit confined.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I like the look of these, but I have trouble getting over the ingrained 'don't camp under the trees' Australian thing, as our trees shed branches when it suits them.

Rule #1 when camping anywhere is to ensure that there are no large branch overhanging your tent or hammock or camp.
    In Australia, gum trees are notorious to shed limbs without warning, Ghost gum are one of the most notorious.
    They often shed to save water during drought, but vapor evaporation does also weaken limb junctions and causes breaks.

If you are vigilant, there are no reason not to pursue outdoor hobbies.

Boolit Master

I camped with a mesh hammock once. Set it up after dark, so I couldn't really see what I was setting it up over -- could just barely see the trees I was tying it to. One of the ropes came loose and it fell that night. Turned out that I had put it over some sort of cactus type plant. These days, "roughing it" is a Holiday Inn Express.

I also found that having my spine curved in one direction all night and not being able to roll over to be uncomfortable.
    Last edited by grumman581; 01-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gelandangan View Post
    Rule #1 when camping anywhere is to ensure that there are no large branch overhanging your tent or hammock or camp.
    In Australia, gum trees are notorious to shed limbs without warning, Ghost gum are one of the most notorious.
    They often shed to save water during drought, but vapor evaporation does also weaken limb junctions and causes breaks.

If you are vigilant, there are no reason not to pursue outdoor hobbies.
    Sounds legit. The River Red gums are another big shedder. I'm tempted to order one of the Hennessy models for giant campers. Getting in and out of your sleeping bag might be a challenge for a 65 year old giant with stiff joints though.

Properly hang (with plenty of slack), and sleeping orientation (diagonal) you will find that you can sleep flat without curved spine.

Suggestion for first time hammock user is to make tiedowns loops along your sleeping bag and the hammock
    If you tie your sleeping bag in proper alignment inside the hammock, you do not have to deal with bunched up bag under you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast