MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Bacon recipie

In Remembrance
    Thanks for clearing that up. It is no wonder I never heeeerd of it. I always wanted my deer meat to taste like deer meat, and my hog meat to taste like pork. lol
    I knew quite a few people that would mix in some pork and make sausage out of their deer meat, just never bacon.

Boolit Master

When I was working in South Africa and went to get some bacon it didn't look like any bacon I ever saw. They made bacon from what ever cut they could. Basically it was pork sliced thin and cured. It didn't taste like bacon either.
    I finally found a German butcher and they had good pork products. The bad part was that everyone found out and the line was around the block on Saturday morning. Neighborhood butcher shops had all sorts of game cuts at certain times of the year. I had Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Kudo, Eland, and Gemsbok and only had to walk a block or so. Warthog was supposed to be the best though and I never got to try it. About the time my contract was running out was when I started making some good connections for hunting. Had to turn down a cull Cape Buffalo hunt because I was leaving.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Does any body have Deer bacon recipe that isnt a premix? I am working on one, unfortunatly i am out of ground venison. so i am going to try it out with beef to start with. but i am interested if anyone else has tried.

The best deer and bacon recipe I found is.... 10 lbs venison to 1lb bacon ends from the meat cutter.
    I grind the deer, then the bacon, it gets mixed in a big bowl and ground again all together. You can spice to taste, but i's very yummy as is.

Vendor Sponsor

If I wanted to do a trial run of 1 LB Ground deer how much sugar cure and brown sugar should I use?
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In the back quarters if you dissect into different muscle groups there are long flat muscles. Make a brine with Morton's Tender Quick & brown sugar. The salt till an egg just about floats and you will have to experiment with the sugar to taste. The length in the brine is to taste as well, but still needs to be done for 8 hours or so, or around when the meat sinks. Smoke the whole flats with maple (or I guess what ever your wood preference). Oh, pepper the flats before smoking with a coarse grind. Slice and fry quick, goes good with eggs and fried taters and rye or pumpernickel toast. It will also make a good pastrami sandwich.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

I am not sure what cut of meat you would use and how anything on deer could be considered "bacon". I shot a really fat doe this year and the flank meat on the ribs was layered heavily with fat. I cut it and save meat for grinding and rendered the fat.

Now, some refer to "Deer ham" which is really more like dried beef, IMO. I have done that with dry curing and smoking it dry in the smokehouse. I did a deer shoulder and goose breast and they both turned out good. The funny thing is that goose is so gamy and after being cured people actually liked it more than the cured deer.
    https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/201...ion-and-goose/

50/50 ground venison to pork butt. Mix cure and spices, pack into loaves and refridge overnight. Smoke 1 hour at 130F dampers open to dry, then 3 hrs at 150-160F dampers part open, then raise to 180-200 dampers closed till internal temp of 150F. The final cook can be sped up by steam cooking, as its hard to get intarnal temps up past 135 with dry outer bark like layer.

Hers my last batch going on my electric converted kamoto grill.

And steam cooking in oven for final cook.

Finished product.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't know how you would get deer fat to behave, it is flat out NASTY and there ain't no way around this fact. The link early on in this 2013 thread says to use 3 roasts from one ham, which are primarily the largest portions of the leanest meat on the deer, which would contain the least amount of fat. I have enjoyed making teriyaki-black pepper jerky from these same cuts of meat but never tried making bacon or a smoked roast.

There is a perfectly rectangular muscle in the very back of a deer ham that when isolated makes a perfect slice of jerky in that there is zero fat or fascia in it, it's all pure fat free red meat. This is the part I favor for jerky. I guess you could cure it other ways and simply "call" it bacon.

There is also a round elongated single muscle directly in front of this rectangular muscle that again is pure red meat with no fat or fascia, we have rolled this in pepper and paprika and other spices, hung it to dry for a few months, it's delicious served sliced thin on a cracker with cream cheese and habanero relish, or just sliced thin like pepperoni and eaten from the fingertips..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I see its an old post we have resurrected, and OP wasnt looking for a premix. I gave up on my own spice recipes and just purchase premix now.

You cant go wrong with Curleys spices. Heres the spice I used for my veni bacon. 7.99 for the 25lb kit. Tastes awsome...

http://curleyssausagekitchen.com/bac...formed-25.html

Banned

so basically your talking the same thing as jerky out of a jerky shooter. Bought a jerky shooter from cabela's and used it once. Ill take real jerky anyday over mush.
    Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    All right, I'll clear this up for ya'll. Venison bacon - made of ground venison combined with a spice mix containing cure. Mix together prescribed ration on premix package, pack into cake pans, leave overnight. Cook gently until done, cool, slice, package. Kind of like a cured meatloaf. My FIL made some last year, it's not bad, but needed some hickory smoke flavor. If I were starting with a premix, I actually start with Morton Sugar Cure, adding some garlic, onion, smoke flavor, black pepper, maybe brown sugar. It's not bacon as we think of "bacon" - side meat from a fatted hog. It's the flavor they are comparing it to, not the cut of meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12