Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Old Version of Lyman 55?

Old Version of Lyman 55?

I picked up two Lyman 55 powder measures recently.
    Noticed that there are not three slides and adjusting screws to set the measure. It has one knurled screw on the body, and a set of small and large brass inserts.
    Can anyone tell me how to adjust this measure?

Linotype

Boolit Master
    I only know of one type 55. It should have 2 set screws on the iron body section. One set screw locks the large drum and the other set screw locks both of the brass slides. There should be 2 knurled adjustment knobs for the 2 brass slides.

For small charges the large drum should be pushed all the way into the stop at the end of the housing and not used for measuring. If set with a narrow opening for throwing small charges there is a potential for bridging. For smaller charges use the 2 brass slides for measuring. Just make sure the small brass slide doesn't overlap the large brass slide and create a "cavern".

For larger charges, like 30+gr of most powders, set the big drum to drop about 20 gr (a large enough opening so no chance for bridging) then use the two brass slides for fine adjustment. Before starting it'd be a good idea to unscrew the plastic bottle so you can see the works and play around with the basic adjustments to get a feel for how it works. Lubricate with graphite only. For charging most cases use the larger ID drop tube to prevent bridging.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Here are some photos that might help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn851286.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	58270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn851288.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	58271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn851289.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	58272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn851291.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	58273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn851292.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	58274

Boolit Master
    Yes, that is an older Ideal/Lyman 55. The old orange/red Ideal 55 and the current grey model Lyman 55 is still pretty much the same. It looks like the unit you pictured has manually adjusted fine and medium brass slides. It would be adjusted the same as one with the knurled adjustment stems that attach to the slides- just have to do it manually. I'll post a couple of pics of an Ideal 55 so you can compare.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Yes, that is an older Ideal/Lyman 55. The old orange/red Ideal 55 and the current grey model Lyman 55 is still pretty much the same. It looks like the unit you pictured has manually adjusted fine and medium brass slides. It would be adjusted the same as one with the knurled adjustment stems that attach to the slides- just have to do it manually. I'll post a couple of pics of an Ideal 55 so you can compare.
    Yes, I have two other 55's that look like the one in your photo.

Ah, got it! I was assuming it was a case of sliding the two plates together, but I wasn't sure it was that easy.

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Good and hope that helped and it works ok.

i think its great how guys help eachother with advise with their problems and questions.I hope i can do the same. thanks BOB.

Quote Originally Posted by march41 View Post
    i think its great how guys help eachother with advise with their problems and questions.I hope i can do the same. thanks BOB.
    Well, I felt like it might be a silly question and it seemed simple enough, but working with powder and loads, I would rather go with a second opinion and experience than guess.
    Yes, this forum and the folks here are fantastic! Learned more than I ever thought I would and meant a lot of fine people.
    Bob, I'm sure your day will come to offer help.

Found information and instructions for this style of powder measure, in the Castpics under Lyman #38 manual, page 11 and 12.
    This forum is fantastic!

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    That was the version of the No.55 that was offered before 1951, when the triple-slide adjustment was added. It is the same as the old black cast iron No. 5's that were offered 1900 - 1947 or so by Ideal and then Lyman. Remember always to never let the top slide on any model overhang the space made by the lower slide(s), as that will "shadow" the cavity and give you variable and inconsistent charges.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Master
    If you go to the web site called 55project.com . show all Lyman powder measurer in order by years. I believe your talking about the SCHMITT MICROMETER attachment. This was never done @theLyman Factory. It was done to improve the original
    Hope this helps
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    If you go to the web site called 55project.com . show all Lyman powder measurer in order by years. I believe your talking about the SCHMITT MICROMETER attachment. This was never done @theLyman Factory. It was done to improve the original
    Hope this helps
    Or, if it's a complete replacement of the rotor and has micrometer adjust, it's part of the movement that began with the so-called Culver Conversion, pioneered by Homer Culver.

Froggie