Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Removing Bevel Base from Lee 452-200-SWC

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Removing Bevel Base from Lee 452-200-SWC

Has anyone successfully removed the bevel base from the Lee version of the HG68 with relatively simple tools, e.g. a dremel, drill, etc. I'm sure it can be done quite well and easily by a machinist with all the proper tools (tools that I do not have).

I do not like the bevel base largely because it is a pain to put bevel based boolits the my LAM2.

Good, Bad, or otherwise, if you have tried it, please share your experience.

Moderator Emeritus

I have removed gc shanks with a level drill press and a good amchinest vise. Set things up so that they are square and level. I have heard of people removing a bb with an exacto knife but cannot comment on it. A sizer die fixes a lot of mistakes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

I use an exacto knife and a magnifier. Keep the blade level (or parallel) with the drive band. The aluminum cuts rather easily.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    us a SHARP knife and make small cuts. Use a magnifying glass if you've got one, if not get one. No harm in stopping to soon and doing some test cast to make sure you didn't go farther than you intened.
    I had a buggered up bevel on a new 358-158-RF so I turned it into a PB instead of sending it back.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Using any thin blade requires a LOT of patience, manual dexterity and self control, but it can be done.
    A better method is to scrape NOT cut.
    Fashion a scraper from a medium sized 3 cornered file. A secure handle is paramount. It's your only contact with the tool.
    Shorten the tool proper to about one inch with lots of handle.
    Grind off CAREFULLY, the file teeth, leaving a strong 3 cornered scraper.
    You'll have much better control of your progress.
    BTDT
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

In Remembrance

Sounds like good advice Pepe Ray.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Using any thin blade requires a LOT of patience, manual dexterity and self control, but it can be done.
    A better method is to scrape NOT cut.
    Fashion a scraper from a medium sized 3 cornered file. A secure handle is paramount. It's your only contact with the tool.
    Shorten the tool proper to about one inch with lots of handle.
    Grind off CAREFULLY, the file teeth, leaving a strong 3 cornered scraper.
    You'll have much better control of your progress.
    BTDT
    Pepe Ray
    ............Pepe Ray has it right. Just like getting the last tiny bit out on an inletting job ..........you scrape. Another good tool to use is a screw driver. As he mentioned for the file, cut it back to about an inch in length. Grind a flat, grind in a bit of relief on the backside (stone it if you'd like) and you have a good hand filling handle that's easy to control.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance