RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: HiPoint .45 acp Carbine?

HiPoint .45 acp Carbine?

So, I broke down and got the Hi Point 45 carbine. (I'm a sucker for pistol rounds in a carbine) Should I gas check my cast loads with the increased velocity? I am using the Lee 230 grain TC. I use Titegroup for my pistol.

Boolit Man
    No need for gas checks. I shoot nothing but plain based cast in my .45 carbine and never had an issue with them even my hot Lil' Gun loads I make up specifically for the carbine are plain based. That .45 carbine is one of my favorites for plinking.
    Max

Whenever asked I used to tell folks that casting boolits wasn't rocket science... I have since been proven wrong.

I have that same gun and mold, shoot Unique in it. Air cooled WW works fine. Ugliest gun on earth but it works and shoots good.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Thanks for the advice! The gun does look like something from the Planet of the Apes....

Boolit Bub
    i got the 9mm hi-point carbine, i shoot cast and i have no issues at all with leading. Unique is pretty dirty but hi-points dont pay attention to dirty, they shoot anyway. ....by the way, i LOVE the looks of the hi-point carbines, the older ones were ugly but the new stocks are awesome.
    Don't doubt my abilities and/or knowledge, or I may surprise you!!!

Boolit Master
    While I would never own a hi-point pistol, their carbines are actually quite nice. When they first came out I had an opportunity to shoot one. Afterwards I bought on in .40s&w. It was possibly the most accurate carbine type rifle I'd ever owned. Sold it after I bought a Ruger PC-9.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    While I would never own a hi-point pistol, their carbines are actually quite nice. When they first came out I had an opportunity to shoot one. Afterwards I bought on in .40s&w. It was possibly the most accurate carbine type rifle I'd ever owned. Sold it after I bought a Ruger PC-9.
    i dont mean this in a bad way toward you, but i would like to point out. i see ALOT of people say the hi-point carbines are real nice but they would in no way own one of their pistols. some say the carbine is better than the pistol. in reality i have taken apart my HP carbine and i have had apart my HP pistol...

did u know that if u take apart a hi-point carbine, u are left with basically a hi-point pistol with a 16" barrel. i was amazed to see this. so if u like the carbine, ull like the pistol as far as functionality and reliability.

i think this is why hi-point does such great work, they have one style. dont change that style, and perfect it.

Boolit Master
    Unless I'm mistaken from the one that I owned, it had a receiver with a bolt on the inside that moved, not a slide. The one I had was very different than the pistol. Although they do share some things in common. I don't like the pistols. I've shot the pistols. They are not what the hi-point fans claim they are. They are what they are. A cheaply made, cheap pistol. The carbine isn't much better, but the design leans towards good accuracy and decent reliability. Not really rugged, as the stock on my original was some kinda cheap two piece. So it got flagged for that. But I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave me one, and I sure would be willing to buy one provided the price was right.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    I have owned many, many brands and one of my favorite was a Keltec sub2k it loved my .40 cal boolits almost no leading after several hundred rounds ( I'm not positive it was lead maybe fouling from cheap toilet wax and uniqe). I also owned Hipoint 9 and .45 I agree they were cheap and a bit quirky out of the box. Having said that they were very accurate as good as the most expensive guns I've owned. People don't like the weigth, designe and fieldstrip method. I agree it's not designed to win beauty contests or speed drills. I will say after a few minuets polishing and lubing they both shoot excellen! If they were lighter and more compact I would not hesitate to carry one.
    Alas they are not... But still an excellent beginner gun, shop toolbox gun, truck gun, and extra to hand out to your family in case of a SHTF scenario. At $125 give or take they are too cheap to not have a few for backup.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Master
    I have a 4595TS Hi Point, and love it. It is quite accurate and not too finicky on bullets. Having said that, it doesn't like the LEE 200 grain copy of the HG 68. It does like the 230 gr LEE 2 ogive. If it is new, a few boxes of FMJ will help smooth out the barrel, which I found to be rather rough.

Mine doesn't lead, and is easy to clean. Better check the groove diameter before casting a bunch. Mine mic'ed at .4515 to .452. It likes the .452 really well. Have fun!!!

Started off with the Hi-Point 40 S&W pistol, and the first time out it shot better and was more reliable and much more accurate than brothers Glock. From gun show to the range, and first mag had an ejection error, which brother pointed out was normal even with his Glock until a few hundred rounds go through it. But that one FTE was the only issue it has had with now well over 1000 rounds through it. I was hooked. Picked up the Carbine in 40 S&W, and it is the same internals as the pistol, and is just as reliable and accurate.

Then came across the Hi-Point 9mm pistol for $120 and thought I would give it a try until my desired CCW was available. Was the most accurate hand gun I had shot, included Colt Gold Cup 1911's. Later, when the time came to sell it, I could not part with it. For $120 it would be foolish to sell. Many other pistols have come and gone, but that big ugly 9mm will always hang around.

Think I'll go shoot mine today. Be shooting Unique but loaded some Red Dot last night.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsTV View Post
    Started off with the Hi-Point 40 S&W pistol, and the first time out it shot better and was more reliable and much more accurate than brothers Glock. From gun show to the range, and first mag had an ejection error, which brother pointed out was normal even with his Glock until a few hundred rounds go through it. But that one FTE was the only issue it has had with now well over 1000 rounds through it. I was hooked. Picked up the Carbine in 40 S&W, and it is the same internals as the pistol, and is just as reliable and accurate.

Then came across the Hi-Point 9mm pistol for $120 and thought I would give it a try until my desired CCW was available. Was the most accurate hand gun I had shot, included Colt Gold Cup 1911's. Later, when the time came to sell it, I could not part with it. For $120 it would be foolish to sell. Many other pistols have come and gone, but that big ugly 9mm will always hang around.
    u said it was the most accurate handgun u have shot. i want to agree. i cant do it now, but when i was shooting several hundred rounds thru it every day, i could literally shoot my initials into a target at 10 yards. not trying to brag, cause i sure cant do it now. but i just got bored and was shooting with a friend and we kept shooting harder and harder targets, finally he said if ur so good then shoot ur initials, i thought it couldnt be done, but i did it.

anyway, ive found that even with the carbine, when u have a new one, if its an 8 round mag, load only 7 rounds for a few hundred rounds, if its a 10rd mag, load only 9 rounds. ive found with most hi-points that the new mag spring will make the first round in a full mag jam. after it breaks in, never another problem. and big deal if u buy it and it does have issues, send it in, they'll fix it for free and i aint done it and aint needed to send it, but heard they even send an extra mag back with it for ur trouble.

Boolit Master
    I shot cast through my 9mm carbine. Nothing hot, but for some reason the gun broke three times and had to go back to HiPoint four times.

The last issue was a chunk of metal broke off the bolt.

All I can say is keep it lubed as the Zamak is quite soft.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    I shot cast through my 9mm carbine. Nothing hot, but for some reason the gun broke three times and had to go back to HiPoint four times.

The last issue was a chunk of metal broke off the bolt.

All I can say is keep it lubed as the Zamak is quite soft.
    wow chris, never heard of anything like that. at least the warranty is excellent. maybe they will get it right for u. i have been shooting 38 cast in mine, packs a really nice punch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsTV View Post

Good thing I have the 230 grain Lee mold. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    I have a 4595TS Hi Point, and love it. It is quite accurate and not too finicky on bullets. Having said that, it doesn't like the LEE 200 grain copy of the HG 68. It does like the 230 gr LEE 2 ogive. If it is new, a few boxes of FMJ will help smooth out the barrel, which I found to be rather rough.

Mine doesn't lead, and is easy to clean. Better check the groove diameter before casting a bunch. Mine mic'ed at .4515 to .452. It likes the .452 really well. Have fun!!!
    This is the quote I meant to copy. I do like my 230 grain mold.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken from the one that I owned, it had a receiver with a bolt on the inside that moved, not a slide. The one I had was very different than the pistol..
    While tearing down the Carbine, you remove the bolt, then remove a shroud. Next, you see what the bolt actually attaches to. The Slide!!!! It is just like the pistol, but since racking a slide on the carbine requires a different method, that attach a bolt to the slide, and then cover the whole thing with a shroud.

Hi-Points are fixed barrel blowback designs, which while adding weight and takes away from appearance, this does help accuracy and recoil. The general rule was that you were not supposed to be able to make blowback guns that shoot more powerful than 380's. They did it anyway, and it works.

Boolit Man
    I've been wanting a hp carbine, hell I also want a hp compact pistol. I have read in many many places if you polish the feed ramp and do slight bending in the mag it's a great gun. I can't even find any right now which I guess is the case with most guns