MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Good lead source or not

Good lead source or not

Local indoor shooting range will sell me 5 gallon buckets of shot bullets for $20.
    He says it's about 100 pounds. (.20 per pound)
    Is that a decent price?

Boolit Master

Good lead source or not

Um, yes. I'd get all I could at that price.

Boolit Buddy

Re: Good lead source or not

5 gallon bucket should be closer to 200 pounds. Heck ya buy it all!
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it'll mostly be pure lead tho. But for that price I'd be able to afford some metal to alloy with it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    Darned good price--I paid double that. One caviat though, if this range requires TMJ boolits, then you are in for a heck of a lot of work. If they allow lead boolits, though, all is cherries and cream.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

That's exactly what I've been living on for 8 years. My buckets weighed more along the lines of 150 - 165 filled to a couple inches from the brim. Figure 25 - 30% waste, a significant portion of that bullet jackets. Some folks report that they sell them to the local scrappers as dirty copper. None of the yards around here will touch them, but asking is free...

Anyway, great alloy. Mine casts beautifully with no additions whatsoever.

Boolit Grand Master

Hardness will depend on what was shot on the range. If mostly handloads with commercial
    cast boolits from pistols, it will be hard. If mix with jacketed pistol, it will be medium since
    he cores of Jbullets are fairly soft. If mostly .22 ammo, it will be very soft. If a lot of
    shotgun shot is included, it can have a good bit of antimony if much hard shot was used,
    so again, it will be harder.

At .20 per pound with minimal dirt, it is a bargain.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

a good price ??? no sir - talk him down :P especially on a condition that you buy mass quantities !!! it's a great price ( see - much better than good ) evan price i believe will buy the copper jackets for those of you whom cant sell them locally , he used to have a add for them in the want to buy section
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    I also live off range lead and haven't needed to add anything once I got the fit down. Buy before they catch on.
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Like they say at Walmart,"stock up now and save!"

Boolit Grand Master
    At that price buy all you can get.

buy up as much as your wallet will cough up! that is a terrific price!
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Like Fryboy said, maybe you could talk him even lower with quantity. Offer him a crisp new $100 bill for 6 buckets, I bet he takes it. All of my lead comes from an indoor range, everything mixed together will water drop over 22 bhn. I keep some as a mixed alloy and it works great in 9mm and .357 mag, I've shot it over 1300 fps with no leading. Sometimes I will sort out all the cast bullets for use in my rifle loads. After segregating all the hard cast from the mix, the remaining alloy is still more than hard enough for use in calibers like .38 special or .45 acp.

I have another suggestion for you, but it depends on the backstop at your range. My local indoor range uses crushed rubber mulch to stop the bullets, and quite a few bullets come out looking almost as good as new. As I sort through the bullets before putting them in the smelting pot, any that look untouched with the exception of rifling marks, gets thrown into a large peanut butter jar. Actually one of 3 jars, one for 9mm/38/357, one for .40 cal and another jar for .45acp, and i'll just put them aside for a rainy day. When I get around to it, I select a jar and take one more look for damaged bullets using a magnivisor. If they still look undamaged, I clean them in my vibrating tumbler with walnut shells and Nu-Finish. After cleaning, I size the bullets using the appropriate Lee push thru sizing die. At this point they're ready to load. Unless you hand one to someone and say "check out what I did", your friends will never know that you're shooting a previously fired bullet. I'm sure that there is some gas blow-by happening in the previous rifling marks, but for plinking practice at indoor range distances, this ammo works great. Before I worked up a good cast load for use in my Glock 26, I shot these reclaimed bullets exclusively. Even though I have total confidence in my lead bullets in my Glock, I use reclaimed bullets when my wife and kids are shooting it.

Boolit Master

Don't listen to these guys! They are feeding you such a line of bull! Range lead is too hard to deal with, but I have developed a super secret procedure to reclaim it. Send it all to me and save yourself the headache!!!

This is all GREAT stuff..... My range uses steel boolit traps, so there are no unmoletsted boolits.
    I'm gonna talk to the guy, because apparently he makes a deal with someone to come clean out the traps for him in exchange for the lead.
    a couple of weeks ago, he apparently got 8-5 gallon buckets. I need some of that deal... :0))))

Boolit Master
    I would say that is a very good price! Our local scrapyard buys lead at .15 a pound (but they sure don't sell it for that!) so .20 seems fair to both you and him.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

Buy all you can at that price.

Boolit Man
    I called my local range they said they have a company come in and clean it up and they take it. Lame!!!!!!!!!!