RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 Savage Cartridge From 308 Win Cartridge

Boolit Master
    I have formed and still shoot a military 7.62x51, mostly LC in my 4 or 5 Savage 99's in 300 Savage. I have not had to neck ream or turn brass, normally using .310 boolits or 125/150/165 jacketed. Most of the military brass weighs about 10 grains more than Winchester 300 Savage brass. Powder charges reduced appropriately. My Savage 99's have long throats and the chamber necks have enough room for the thicker necks of the 7.62 military. I check case diameter with a bullet seated, mostly I find a .338 diameter though some go .339 with military brass. The SAAMI max for cartridge neck diameter is .339 and the shortened LC military cases chamber and fire with good results. I do see Hornady is making 300 Savage brass. The actual case forming consists of simply resizing .308/7.62 in a 300 Savage die and shortening/cutting off the case to 300 Savage length (1.871-.020 SAAMI case length). Your Remington MAY have a tighter chamber than my 99's.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have formed and still shoot a military 7.62x51, mostly LC in my 4 or 5 Savage 99's in 300 Savage. I have not had to neck ream or turn brass, normally using .310 boolits or 125/150/165 jacketed. Most of the military brass weighs about 10 grains more than Winchester 300 Savage brass. Powder charges reduced appropriately. My Savage 99's have long throats and the chamber necks have enough room for the thicker necks of the 7.62 military. I check case diameter with a bullet seated, mostly I find a .338 diameter though some go .339 with military brass. The SAAMI max for cartridge neck diameter is .339 and the shortened LC military cases chamber and fire with good results. I do see Hornady is making 300 Savage brass. The actual case forming consists of simply resizing .308/7.62 in a 300 Savage die and shortening/cutting off the case to 300 Savage length (1.871-.020 SAAMI case length). Your Remington MAY have a tighter chamber than my 99's.
    Same here! I got a smoking deal about 4 years ago. $50/1000 on once fired MG LC brass from a military range. Made perfect 300 Sav brass for my 99EG lever. No issues at all. I now have a stockpile of .300 Savage brass. Me, my, kids, and my grand kids will never have to worry about ammo. Will just have to find powder and primers!

Boolit Master
    I am capable of reforming brass to fit a need where correctly marked brass is not available, as in 32-40 Winchester. However, we are in a different world now than back when this thread started. Hornady has brought out their variety of brass calibers, Starline is quickly expanding their catalog of selections, and one can only hope the future holds more good news for us. If at all possible I still prefer to use correctly head-stamped brass for my handloads. One never knows where their ammo and components will land when they are through using them. I would never wish to have any misfortune fall on another person from using one of my handloads in a firearm based solely on the caliber markings on the brass rather than its reformed dimensions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12