RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Savage Cartridge From 308 Win Cartridge

300 Savage Cartridge From 308 Win Cartridge

I've been scrounging around for 300 Savage brass. I shoot 300 Savage in my Rem. 760 pump rifle. I love shooting this rifle and it is a great one, but ammunition is getting hard to come by and 300 Savage brass is expensive when I can find it. I recently bought a Savage M11 in 308 Win and was doing some research on the cartridge and loads when I ran across this.

"The .300 Savage distinguished itself further by serving as the parent to the .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO) cartridge, a round that was developed for the U.S. armed forces in the 1950s and which is still in use today."

In looking at the case dimensions closer, they are almost an identical match save the shoulder position and angle, and case neck length. The 300 Savage is a bit shorter than the 308 Win so making 300 Savage cartridges from a 308 Win cartridge should be a doable thing. I think some experimenting is in order. I will likely have to inside neck ream the resulting cartridge, but that is okay if it results in usable 300 Savage cartridges.
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine

Boolit Bub
    You are correct, it is easily doable. One thing that you might consider is having the 760 rechambered for .308, then you won't have to worry about it again.

In Remembrance
    You might to put an add in the want to but section of the swap and sell, it worked for me and I wound up with enough 300 savage brass, It even turned up plenty of 30 rem brass too.
    You might also PM starreloader, as I got 300 and 30 rem brass from him at great prices and his brass has always been better than expected. Sportsmans here usually has new 300 sav brass too, for around 28 bucks for fifty.

Boolit Master

.300 Sav. from .308 brass

I formed a small batch of .300 Savage brass from .308 years ago for use in a Remington 81 semi-auto. I did not try neck reaming, but did have to outside turn the necks. Despite all the work, the brass worked perfectly. Nevertheless, search hard for .300 Savage brass before going the re-forming route.

In Remembrance

I had marginal success in making .300 brass from .308. Yes, it is doable I`m just saying my brass didn`t turn out so great. Offer a trade or sell the .308 brass for .300 cases. The Rem. 760 is a real peach of a deer gun in .300 Sav. I found my .300 Sav. does best with 150 gr. "J" bullets on deer, etc.Robert

Boolit Master
    I guess .300 Savage brass is run on a seasonal basis.Everybody was out a a week back.I found a guy on gunbroker , he has an auction running right now.100 pcs R-P head stamped for starting bid of $50.00.
    I just bought one bag and have not received it yet , so I can't vouch for the seller.They do have a good seller rating though.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325124188
    Before that I was watching a bid on used brass.55 pcs went for $29.99 on Auction Arms.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Banned

I now have two .300s and had another for a while I gave to my brother. I thought brass would be hard to come by by a WTB post here netted me quite a bit pof it quickly and fairly inexpensively. Try that before you go to all that trouble.

Boolit Grand Master
    You may find it easier to convert 243 brass to 300 Savage. Lube the inside of the case neck, flare the case with a Lee Universal Expander Die, then run the case into the sizing die and trim to length. During the last Obama Sponsored Gun Sale, I had better luck making 250 savage shells out of 243 brass than 308 and did not have to ream the brass. Other casings that might be useful would be the 7-08 and 260 Remington
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did it all the time when I had a 300 Savage Contender
    JD told me that they would have a reputation of not going bang all the time (the 300 Savage chambering in a Contender)
    well by switching to 308 win brass and forming 300 Savage brass I resolved the issue
    The 308 case will make 300 Savage cases I used it in the Contender because the 308 case rim was a bit thicker making primer strikes more positive and misfires a thing of the past
    Last edited by white eagle; 10-06-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

I formed some cases for the Rem Mod 81 and they worked fine, same batch didnt chamber well in the Mod 99, just a bit tight, but they still functioned. I think the neck dimensions in the chambers varied just enough to show a problem. A quick ream job and things smoothed right out. I use the 308 cases that took mouth damage for some reason or other as the basis for the forming, beats trashing them.

That old Remington Auto is a hoot to play with, I load light with the Berrys 150gr PFP for plinking, cheap and accurate.

Boolit Master
    There is a video in YouTube where the guy uses a Harbor Freight mini chop saw to trim the 308 brass to approximate 300Sav length before running the 308 brass through a 300 Sav. die. Lotsa case lube is used, both outside the brass and inside the neck.

Agree with starmac, 300 Savage brass is around if you turn over enough rocks.

Boolit Master

I had 1000's of .308 and no 300 savage, so I have made all of my 300 savage. I run the .308 into a 300 savage trim die, trim to length and neck turn if necessary. Not much trouble or time involved.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Mark, please check your PM's - I found new .300 Savage brass F/S at a decent price.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Making .300 from .308 is dirt simple but watch the powder charge if you are making full power loads, especially if you have used military brass. Things get hot quick.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I use a form and trim die. It's a piece of cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Always have to ream necks when I did 300 cases using federal 308 brass. Necks were greater then .015” thick. I shoot these out of a savage 99 and any thicker necks wouldn’t chamber

Ever check on AmmoSeek.com ? They have lots of ammo providers.

How thick do you make your necks?

Another archeological dig, thread started in 2013, went dormant for 6 years and now it's back

But I'll put in my two pennies, I used Hornady 308 match brass,(back before this thread even started! Why? Because I was cheap and didn't want to buy brass).

I just resized in 300 Savage dies and trimmed to length. Got lucky and didn't have to neck ream. They worked perfectly in a Savage 99 with cast boolit. Never a pressure sign, and rang dingers with the best of them.

Sometime you get lucky. This was one of my earliest tries at case forming and it worked well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast