Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Harvey Protxbore mold 358500

Boolit Man

Harvey Protxbore mold 358500

What can anyone tell me about a Harvey Protxbore mold. It is a 358500. Is it still useable? Thanks.

Banned

usta might still be a guy on the evil-bay that sells the washers.

Moderator Emeritus

It may have more value to a collector than as a usable mold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

It be ubber KOOL to own it , even if ya never warmed it up !!!!!

NOT !!!!

I`d have to see what the boolit looked like !!

I`m no help on the washers though.

Maybe some of our tool makers could make a cutter to cut some from copper/aluminum ???

$$$ feasible ??? for the amount of ammo built with this boolit ????

But it`d still be ubber KOOL !!
    GP100man

Boolit Man
    I forgot I had it. It came with all the molds I inherited from a family friend. I use all the other molds. I plan on casting up a few this week when I fire up my furnace to cast 45's. just to see what it looks like. I think I remember load some up with the friend when I was a kid. I don't have any shaders though.

Moderator Emeritus

I would think that you could make some custom washers for it ala Pat marlin Checkmaker if you really needed to. I don't think the design would really be able to be pushed faster than a straight lino load. To misquote Jeff Cooper 'an ingenious solution to a non exsistant problem".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that they were a major pita back in the day, I just leave that one for a collector. Life's too short to waste time on cranky molds. This was one of those "NEW AND IMPROVED" ideas that never really shoulda been thunk in the first place. Placing the washers into the mold was fiddly and took so much time that it was hard to keep the mold up to temp, and handling the preheated (don't even dream of trying it with cold washers) zinc washers was difficult. I used a pair of forceps, but it took way too much time to make boolits this way. It is much more productive to make a regular designed mold of proper dimension and lube it with one of the many good lubes.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I've had reasonably good results using some of that ProtXBore stuff, but, as someone mentioned, they are often a lot of trouble. I never had a problem keeping the mould at a good casting temperature and always used cold washers. Never heard of heating them. Alloy (wheelweight) fill-out in the mold was fine. I used original Lakeville Arms washers only; dimensions weren't real uniform. That coupled with bullet diameter and bore size sometimes meant the washer didn't serve much of a purpose other than being along for the ride.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the info. Just curious a out it. I don't plan on using it. But will cast a few to see them.

Boolit Buddy
    send that zinc to me for lead

Woody402,

Hawke Bullets in New Jersey (856-299-2800) purchased the original zinc washer production machines used by Harvey and still has high quality zinc washers available, primarily for swaging, but they fit in my Harvey molds just fine. Hawke used to have a couple of interesting articles on the benefits of coating the bore with zinc ("sheridizing") with these washers since lead will not stick to zinc. Hope the pictures help also. The 2 cavity and HP molds are .358 dia... the 1 cavity is .452 dia. (Note: I might be interested in small, inexpensive odd lots of .452 zinc washers if you have any collecting dust.)
    dmitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1447.JPG   IMG_1451.JPG   IMG_1466.JPG   IMG_1469.JPG  

Boolit Master
    It was an idea whos time has come and gone!!

I pass on these when I see them after my experience with several of them back in the 70's as the zinc washer were hard to come by and a hassle to use as well!

However fast forward to today and you might consider powder coating these and not bother with the zinc washer!!

Boolit Master

Now....I have a couple of these molds, as well as then " jugular " molds.
    So....is this mold now useless. ????
    I think NOT.!!!
    Being smooth sided, isn't it perfect for powder coating.??
    And you don't need the washers.

The "jugular" mold, I'm led to believe, was for half jackets. They can be assembled in either a "Swag-a-Matic" or a Pacific swage.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one bag each of 38 and 45 cal Lakeville arms zinc washers in original shipping pouches, should be 1000 in each bag. PM me if interested.
    Shaune509

they are sold
    Last edited by shaune509; 03-17-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: sold