RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much TP in a years supply

Boolit Master

Toilet paper? Do we really need that when we have pressure washers?

Recently returned from a vacation that included about a week in France. The hotels have bidets in them. I must have been using them incorrectly since the water didn't end up all that close to where you would think that it should end up if it is really a replacement for toilet paper. Despite the concept of the bidet, it appears that the French are not that big on the concept of personal hygiene. They do not take showers every day, much less twice a day like many of us do. I suspect that the reason that they are known for their perfumes is that they use them to cover their lack of personal hygiene.

On the other hand, even the cheap (i.e. less than 2 euro per bottle) wines are pretty good.

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 01-12-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    One memory of France when I was stationed there many years ago was riding the Paris Metro (subway) during the rush hour on a hot summers day. Yes the perfume is used as an attempt to cover the BO but the perfume the average French man and woman use is not Channel No.5 but various el cheepo stuff that probably costs about a frank a liter. The competing smells were unforgettable even years later.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Mold

It ain't just France bro (and Blacksmith actually is my biological brother, ). Most of Europe is like that, can't speak for middle east or far east as I haven't been there, but I have been all over Europe over a span of forty years. Public areas in the summer months are really "ripe". Not only do they have a serious body oder problem, but a toilet paper problem as well as a general toilet problem, but that is a whole other discussion. Their TP is single ply and slick, not in any way absorbent. It is like wiping with a page from a slick paper magazine page. It simply just smears. I used to travel regularly on a comercial venture to Estonia right after the fall of the USSR. The American expat permanent party there always asked me to bring Hershey chocolate syrup, corn tacos, canned chilli (they were Texans) and American toilet paper. I distinctly remember that even in the cold winter months we left the office windows open because of the very strong smell of sewer gas emanating from the toilets. Speaking of toilets, the German toilets did not drop into water, but rather on a shelf so that the excrement could be examined before being flushed with a rush of water down the sewer. The oder in a large public German toilet room, often unisex, was memorable. I never understood the Germanic fascination with their poop.

Boolit Master

I'm currently in the UK driving around various places for a month. Started in Dublin, then drove to Liverpool, Stonehenge, London, Southport, Glasgow, Glencoe, Edinburgh, and am currently in Inverness. One thing that I've noticed with respect to this topic while staying in the various hotels during my trip here is that the toilet seats appear wider and the toilet paper is less structurally sound. Also, it appears that the toilets use a lot more water during the flush even though most of the showers appear to either be operating under reduced pressure or have flow-restrictors in them.

Also, if a hotel says that it has a king size bed here, it is the equivalent size of a queen size in the US. For the most part, other than international hotel chains (e.g. Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, etc), the hotel rooms are a bit small as compared to what you normally encounter in the US.

And many of the roads have NO shoulder and a stone fence / wall right at the edge, so if the car rental agency offers to give you a free upgrade to a larger vehicle, you probably should decline it. I'm driving a VW Polo TDI (manual transmision) and am getting about 53 mpg in combined city and highway mileage. When fuel goes for 1.20+ GBP per liter, good fuel economy is nice to have. At 3.7851 liters per US gallon, than means about $6.59 per US gallon (before the GBP dropped due to the Brexit vote). Back home, diesel is less that $2 per gallon.

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 01-12-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Master

TMI and someone has too much time with nothing productive to do.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

We keep 10 Mega packs in the barn with 6 cases of paper towels...it's comforting. Just think of all the people that never think past the end of the day...Boy, are they going to have a rude awakening. TP will be one new form of currency when SHTF...besides boolits.
    What really gets me is the person in the family that always leaves the TP roll either empty or with only 1 wrap of paper left, won't bother to even get a new roll and put on the tank, at least.

I just can't figure a way of breaking them of that habit...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    We keep 10 Mega packs in the barn with 6 cases of paper towels...it's comforting. Just think of all the people that never think past the end of the day...Boy, are they going to have a rude awakening. TP will be one new form of currency when SHTF...besides boolits.
    What really gets me is the person in the family that always leaves the TP roll either empty or with only 1 wrap of paper left, won't bother to even get a new roll and put on the tank, at least.

I just can't figure a way of breaking them of that habit...
    LMAO I was trying to figure out how many women he had factored in to that number (from family with 2 sisters). The more you have on hand the faster it disappears in my opinion. Same as with papertowels, everyone just grabs them for everything until you are down to the last roll....then the hand towels magically appear! If my extended family showed up, the guys would be outside using trees and leaves in short order.

I guess when the TP runs out, everyone will be trying to hire a Muslim for a Personal Valet......

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    LMAO I was trying to figure out how many women he had factored in to that number (from family with 2 sisters). The more you have on hand the faster it disappears in my opinion. Same as with papertowels, everyone just grabs them for everything until you are down to the last roll....then the hand towels magically appear! If my extended family showed up, the guys would be outside using trees and leaves in short order.
    Simple solution. Hand each woman one mega roll of TP and a burlap bag full of corn cobs then tell them it is their choice but they won't get another roll for a month and if they run out of both TP and CC use the bag!
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Why not borrow an idea from the french and from our shooting group and use a squirt gun as a kind of Beeday ( spelling is not my thing) . we could use them until they get banned I suppose.
    The word you were grasping for is "bidet" but remember in you own defence that the French language is not phoenetically linked to the alphabet the words are spelled with.

We actually ordered a bidet kit off amazon and installed it.

Has a plate with holes for the seat screws to go through. The Bidet can be positioned forward/back on slides within that plate, and when the screws are tightened locks the whole thing in place.

That first jet of cool water can be an eye opening experience. But I have to admit, I like it. And my bottom likes it. And there is a lot less "bill butt" smell.

I use half the TP or less than I used to. Mostly for drying, although it picks up a smidge now and then.

At 40$ and a little time to install I consider it a bargain. Should pay for itself within a year or 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are pretty happy with the unit, and how it works but I am a little concerned about its structural strength.
    Seems a little loosey goosey. Being mostly made of fairly thin plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

Has a plate with holes for the seat screws to go through. The Bidet can be positioned forward/back on slides within that plate, and when the screws are tightened locks the whole thing in place.

That first jet of cool water can be an eye opening experience. But I have to admit, I like it. And my bottom likes it. And there is a lot less "bill butt" smell.

I use half the TP or less than I used to. Mostly for drying, although it picks up a smidge now and then.

At 40$ and a little time to install I consider it a bargain. Should pay for itself within a year or 2.

We are pretty happy with the unit, and how it works but I am a little concerned about its structural strength.
    Ghost...you oughta get another one for the other side of the toilet...hook it to your air compressor and do away with toilet paper all together!

Boolit Buddy

this is almost too much information
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

I have a wife, . . . and two teenager daughters.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Compressed air blast, there is a good idea.

Maybe one of those hot air hand dryers at the nicer gas station rest rooms have.

Idea's going off like popcorn!

Boolit Buddy

Anybody else notice that they also sell used ones, LOL
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Used to go through two cases (36 rolls/ea) per month. Bidet seats on the potties and a daughter moving out have us down to under one case per month.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

So I am NOT the only one. Good on you Smokey!

Women are the worst abusers of the TP, no doubt about it! 1/2 the time they'll leave the roll with 2 or 3 sheets left behind and never give it another thought...poor guy that comes in in a hurry and doesn't notice!

Prolly the best way to save on TP is to stop feeding the Women so much...1 meal a day instead of 3, you could save another 2/3'rds on cost.

Boolit Master
    So I am NOT the only one. Good on you Smokey!
    Went the whole 9 yards with the bidet seats. Heated seats, heated water, front wash for the ladies and rear wash for everyone. Been using them for 10 years. That warm seat on cold mornings is every bit as good as a fire in the fireplace on a cold evening. Kids do what they can to avoid doing their business on any other potties anywhere else.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast