MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Joining the club

Joining the club

Been wanting one since I was a kid so I pulled the trigger today [Well not litteraly yet] on a new Rossi 92 in 357, Should be here in a few days and then the stupid 10 day wait

Molds and cases are here and Dies are on the way so I'll be asking a lot of question on how to make it run right so to start with being brand new what are the first things I should i do as far as cleaning and checking the action.

Thanks, This should be fun, Steve

Boolit Master
    Flush out the action, and lube, and should be good to go. I found the red wood a real turn off. I degreased, and began a tru-oil treatment. The wood got lighter and looks great. I am loading the Lee 358-158-RF over 5 gr of HP-38 in 357 cases. Hits hard, is accurate, and loads fine. I am going to try the Lee 358-125-RF in 38 spl soon. You should find your 92 alot of fun. Plenty of users in this forum.

+1 on the flush of the receiver. Mine was being a real pain in the posterior until I pulled the butt stock and ran half a can of gun scrubber through it and then re-lubed it.
    Double check the action with some dummy rounds for function. The only other kink I found was a failure to extract cases. The culprit was the actual extractor. It had a burr on the hook, and the front of the hook was pretty rough. Both of those issues was not allowing it to engage the rim of the case fully. I removed the extractor from the bolt and smoothed the front and back of the hook with an Arkansas stone. After that, life was bueno.

Boolit Master
    Welcome fellow lever-gunner..

I got a stainless .44 mag M92 a couple summers back...and it's a smooth action. It did benefit from some lube and working the action..but was nice and smooth when new.

In Remembrance
    I really like my Rossi lever guns.
    A good read on the .357 and it's effectiveness is this article with nuclear loads.
    Paco Kelly got a later start than I did with this cartridge but he caught up eventually.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    I really like my Rossi lever guns.
    A good read on the .357 and it's effectiveness is this article with nuclear loads.
    Paco Kelly got a later start than I did with this cartridge but he caught up eventually.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

Life is good
    Good read, Could you give me some starting loads and primer choices for 38 & 357 for the Rossi 92 for target shooting with a RCBS 38-158 cm & lee TL358-158SWC with what powder you would recomend, Bullsey, Unique, 231, WSF [I have all of these]
    All I do is target shooting. Thanks Steve

Boolit Grand Master

You already have the right powders. Go pour a nice pile of boolits and load up a few so you can head for the range after you get her degreased & lubed. May want to load up some dummy loads in .357 to check for cycling.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.