Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a good quality case trimmer?

Boolit Bub

I need a good quality case trimmer?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to improve the accuracy of my 38 Special target loads and want to start trimming the cases. I have 20+ years worth of assorted head stamps and ages and I'm sure there are some inconsistencies.

Which good quality case trimmer will give me consistent lengths?

Regards, Racingsnake

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Redding amongst others , it would depend on how much you have to do compared to how much you have to spend and how long you want the job to last .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Shoot more.

I don't trim most pistol cases and use a taper crimp die for some loads while others no crimp.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    I find I get different seating depths at times and while the powder charges are always the accurate with my Lee Auto Disc, differing case length can alter the extent of the belling.

Boolit Master

Hornady cam-lock but buy the Hornady shell holders with it and the collets you need. VERY accurate, VERY repeatable, and FAST with a cordless drill attachment.

LOVE mine although I rarely trim handgun brass except for a few .357's to shoot certain cast bullets (358429 I *think*) and the Hornady LeveRevolution 140 grain FTX.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

In Remembrance

Over the span of my loading lifetime I have had 3 different trimmers. They are Lyman, Forster and RCBS. I now just have the RCBS trimmer with the power attachment. All the companies that make trimmers will do a decent job of trimming. However as has been pointed out you must make a choice upon which one does the better job while doing the task the fastest. In all my years of pistol shooting I have yet to trim a case, probably because I am talking about loading hundreds to thousands at a setting.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the trimming I do is on a Wilson trimmer. I think it yields the most consistant and square cuts. Most of the reloading I do, however, is for rifle cartridges.

Boolit Master

Just for pure accuracy, I have found the Wilson and the C&H trimmer to be the most accurate and repeatable. Forster, Lyman, and RCBS all do a very good job also. I have owned and do own all of these brands and you can't go wrong with either of them. There are others I am sure that will do a good job, but these are the ones I have used for the last 60 plus years. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Lee trimmers, very accurate but not adjustable. You are stuck with Lee's length as manufactured. Take care, james

Boolit Bub
    Thanks James. Good info.

I use an RCBS to trim for my S&W 52-2.

Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

I need a good quality case trimmer?

I have a Forster and one from CH4D. I use the Forster for large batches of brass as I have the drill adapter. I use the CH4D for small batches of rifle. The collet setup on the CH4D leads to more consistent trim lengths.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 01-12-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    Most of the trimming I do is on a Wilson trimmer. I think it yields the most consistant and square cuts. Most of the reloading I do, however, is for rifle cartridges.
    +1. I am a big fan of the L.E. Wilson case trimmer.

Banned

i have ebay RCBS Trimmer. Its good.

Started with a Lyman universal went to an rcbs and came back to a Lyman,
    I really like their universal chuck. It's the fastest for me, ymmv.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've noticed when using a taper crimp die the case length isn't near as critical provided cases are reasonably close .

Jack

Boolit Mold
    A different approach is to sort by case length. My 38 spl cases vary in length by total 0.040 inch. I sort into 0.010 inch groupings. Setting up and loading by these groups gives me good consistant roll crimps. Since the cases do not grow much after many reloads, I don't have to to sort that often.

I've been loading for close to 40 years and I got tired of the collet type of trimmers. Unless you use a torque wrench to tighten the collet the length will vary somewhat. I found that the Lee trimmer suits me best especially when trimming my cases for the 50 BMG. No matter what caliber I'm trimming they come out exactly the same length every time. Sure makes for much more accurate loading when seating the boolit and crimping the case mouth. Most of the time I just chuck it in a drill but also use the Lee spring loaded rope trimmer. Kind of like starting a lawn mower. Another thing I like about the Lee trimmer is being able to chuck the shell holder in a drill for polishing my 50 BMG bottle openers. It's also nice for cleaning up any brass using steel wool.
    Life member NRA since 1983

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...113199d940.png

"I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Man
    Been using the LEE case trimmer for nearly fourty years. Never an issue. It's economical, accurate & consistant!

I have a lyman and RCBS they both work great,but the lyman uses std shellholders and will do up to 50/70.it also is abit faster then my RCBS. I DON,t need 2 Ill sell the lyman AccuTRim ANIB for $35.00plus 5.00ship.Most of the trimmers do a good job,so take your pick,good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast