RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H&R 38-55 target rifle

Boolit Grand Master
    I did some recent shooting with this Win 94 in 38/55.......OMG, can this little levergun SHOOT. Open irons at 50 yards, using the Lee 250 grain plain base "boat tail" atop a 100%-density charge of Trail Boss.......SEVERAL 5-shotters with 4 or 5 rounds touching. I doubt that velocity exceeds 1000 FPS, but to paraphrase Buckshot--"They won't bounce back from the target paper!" After the first shot, the following 4 shots tried really hard to run through the same hole.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavetta View Post
    have one I would sell.
    A few years ago I bought one of these, expecting great results out of it. I never could make the darn thing shoot well. Called the factory about it, and they told me that I should only use factory ammo. What a lame response. It actually did shoot fairly well with the first box of factory ammo I bought, mainly with the intention of getting myself a box of brass so that I could load and shoot boolits. I sold the rifle to some guy who wanted it, at that point worse than me. Oddly enough, those same break-open rifles in 45-70 shoot boolits very well. Good luck--there's a buyer for your gun out there.

Boolit Master
    I had the forerunner to that rifle. it was the shakri in .45-70. bought it new for $65. it shot every thing 500,405 and 350 gr. bullets. but at 5 lbs. the recoil was brutal. even with the 350 gr. so it went down the road.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123