Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reamer question

Boolit Mold

Reamer question

Hi
    I have some reamer questions maybe I could get help with.
    I plan on re lining an old 22 Winchester pump, I have done my homework and feel this should be a pretty routine job.

This gun is a 22 short.
    I'm thinking why not buy a long rifle chamber reamer and just not go full depth, this way I can reuse the reamer at a later date on a more common LR .

Brownells and Midway are out of LR readers so now I'm thinking why not get a match chamber reamer ? If This were a bolt action it would get a match chamber anyway.

Or just get the short chamber reamer and do it the way it's supposed to be done.

Thanks for any advice, Tom

Boolit Buddy
    If you need to cut the rim recess in the chamber, you don't have the option of running the reamer in short to cut a .22 Short chamber with an LR reamer.

"Match" chambers come in MANY varieties, some that will not be a good idea for your pump gun (oversize bullets causing the rounds to drag when chambered).

Did you consider renting a reamer from 4D instead?

Boolit Mold
    Eck0310 - maybe I don't understand how the reamer works. Seems to me if I used a LF reamer and just cut deep enough for a short to sit right it should be done. The difference between a LF reamer and a short should only be the depth to which you can ream.
    Please correct. Me if I have this all wrong !
    I figured the match chamber might not work but I could always polish it out until it fed right.

Thanks for your help, Tom

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Some barrels have a rim recess, and then in some other guns there is none. If there is a rim recess and you are not doing the job in the lathe, if you run the LR reamer in short you will not get a rim recess. If doing it in a lathe you could just bore the rim recess with a single point tool.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/pr...84050015_1.jpg

The upper reamer is probably for a rimmed ctg, the step on the right cuts the recess for the case rim.
    Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Mold
    Now I understand, I didn't pick up on the rim recess. Wasn't thinking in those terms, anyhow the recess is in the bolt.
    So with that straightened out. Will my idea work?
    I am very mechanically inclined, but I have never done this and have never used a reamer like this. I am trying to get all the info I can before I start.
    Thanks for the help, Tom

Boolit Buddy
    If your rim recess is in the bolt, you're in tall cotton.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Ya I agree if no rim recess is required you are good to go, the 22 short has a fairly short bullet (29 grain) so you might not need to run the reamer in as deep as you think.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Check your mailbox for the latest *Shooting Times*. It has an article on this very subject.

Boolit Buddy
    There is one other consideration that must be addressed. The Winchester o6 model that I had was chambered for the 22 long. A long rifle would hang up when on the lifter coming out of the magazine tube. The gun must have the correct innards to run long rifle's.

Quote Originally Posted by ipopum View Post
    There is one other consideration that must be addressed. The Winchester o6 model that I had was chambered for the 22 long. A long rifle would hang up when on the lifter coming out of the magazine tube. The gun must have the correct innards to run long rifle's.
    I think you misunderstood, he's going to keep the gun as a .22 Short... just wants to know if he can run a 22LR reamer in partway to cut a short chamber (since the rim recess is in the bolt) - he's not looking to change the chambering.

Bren R.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I did.

Boolit Mold

If you're doing this to a Winchester 1890 or 06 the rim recess is in the bolt. There is no rim recess in the barrel so I don't see why your idea wouldn't work as the case is not tapered. I'm rebuilding an 1890 right now and just bought a Numrich barrel because the old one was shot. This is not a collector gun that I am ruining but an assembly of parts to make a shooter for my grandson. BTW I did not buy the barrel from Numrich, they are out of stock but I found it in an old gunshop.