Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: H&R handiGrip stock review

Banned

H&R handiGrip stock review

Thinking about putting one of these on my 223 lighweight barrelled handi(my crow, woodchuck puffing rifle), anyone tried/liked/disliked them? I want to keep it light but I am wanting a substantial FEEL to the grip. I shoot mostly prone from a 6X9 bipod when chuckdusting and crow mashing btw. I cannot ruin the looks of the gun as it already wears krylon coated pallet lumber.....so looks are not important.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/956...-polymer-black

any reviews are appreciated, thanks,
    Mike

I personally don't like the sharper vertical wrist angle. May just be me, but they aren't comfortable. I'd go with a Boyd's Laminate for a thumbhole since you are shooting from prone.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/STER-N...-p/640-202.htm

Boolit Master

H&R handiGrip stock review

This is an ok stock; my only gripe about the plastic Handi stocks is that they leave the rifle front heavy. In the wood stocks this is an easy fix since you can pour shot in the bolt hole and the weight is just about right. I make a mixed ball of shot and modeling clay (about 1 lb or whatever weight you desire), stick it in the hollow plastic stock and backfill with bubble wrap to keep it all in place. Works well and gives the rifle balance and heft.
    (Guess your stock project didn't pan out)

Banned
    Thanks to the both of you, that was the kind of info I was seeking. ...and no the stock did not work out as i simply came up short on wood for the lower part of the pistol grip. I am chasing another way through homemade thick walnut/maple/walnut though.....we shall see. I was merely seeking a quicker fix.....guess not...oh well.

I'd like to see the homemade stock when ur done. I have 2 H&R 357maxi's. what cast boolit are you using? I'm just getting into cast.

Banned
    LeDano

Just about any gaschecked 180-190 grain Round Nosed Flat Point boolit over a good dose of either Vhit N-120 or Alliant MP-300 over a rem7.5 sparkplug will shoot @MOA or less in my 15 inch Encore made by MGM. My favorite boolits come from moulds that were made by BRP but unfortunately for us that option no longer exists. Accurate moulds has many similar designs however. The 360-180 FN that was originally designed by Glen Larsen as a Lee group buy is also a great meatgetter....I have killed quite a few bucks with it and have never been dissapointed with the smackdown that boolit delivers. My load data has been written on here alot in the past....just remember I am using an Encore frame, not an H&R frame for my loads.

As far as the homemade thick laminate stock....that will be awhile as I am using my Dad's woodshop and he has it cluttered up right now while he is making custom trim and such for his new house he built.

Thanx, I'll get this together sooner or later. Still gathering stuff.

On my last Handi multi-barrel set (30-06/223/444/MZL) I went with the Choate Tamer stock and I really like it. I threw a limbsaver slip-on recoil pad on it. The thing I like the best about it is the open side where the shotgun shell rounds would normally be carried. I throw the factory 3 rd shotshell carrier away & found that a cut down hard plastic shell carrier from an old Frontier/Hornady ammo box fits great and up to a dozen shells. I may make up some custom carriers out of walnut for each caliber.

The slip-off recoil pad works great for instant length of pull changes so a younger shooter can fit just fine. I also prefer removed when thicker winter clothes are worn.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/355...ynthetic-black
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.