MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: .43 Mauser load ?

Boolit Mold

.43 Mauser load ?

Can someone give me a load for a .43 Mauser? I can't find any in my manuals. It's for a 385 grain cast bullet and I would like to use Unique, although other powders would do.
    Gerry

Re: 43 Mauser load ?

Check the other threads here for more info. The load I am currently shooting is as follows:

Bullet:
    Lyman 446110 Mould - Drops a flat-point boolit with 3 lube grooves at approx. 355gr when lubed. Rifle is a full-size M1871/84 made in Amberg. This rifle will pretty much not chamber any bullet sized larger than .446.

Load #1:
    32gr IMR-3031 Powder, chronographs around 1350fps. Using 1/2 square of toilet paper to fill up case volume. Probably unnecessary, but I do it anyway.

Load #2
    68gr 2F Goex Black Powder, dropped through a 16" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. Topped with a .446 wad cut from milk carton and a 1/4" layer of BP patch lube under the boolit.

Load #1 prints dead-on at 50 yards using the "low" sight. It's fairly close at 100 yards using the "middle" flip-up sight, and about 8" high using the lowest setting on the tall long-range sight.

Load #2 seems to regulate very close to what the sights were designed for.

I think a rifle powder like 3031 or 4831 is more appropriate in this large-volume, low velocity round. I'd worry about using a pistol powder on anything but very light loads, but I'm not any sort of expert.

FYI, look for 45-70 Trapdoor loads or data for the .43 Spanish for more ideas.

Good shooting!

Arclight

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    My own loads have been with straight blackpowder, with usual BPRC procedures, the same duplexed with 4 to 8 grains of Re-7, 5744 powder starting loads in the mid 20 grains range. Simply unsat performsance for the most part with the IMRs from 4198 up to and including 4895, which included handfires, unburned powder, failures to light off and similar. IMR 4227 did work ok though. BTW the original loadings ran a 400 bullet at 1450 fps. I use the RCBS 44-370 -FN almost exclusively now.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Super Moderator

.............Are you shooting a 1871 or a M71/84? Have you shot it before?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I find that with 4198 or 3031 a filler is a must- and not just any filler, but something that holds the powder securely to the primer such as dacron or Pufflon. A half square of toilet paper doesn't do it adequately to get complete ignition (well I tried a full square....) Of course your mileage may vary.

With Black powder I've had luck using felt over powder wads from a 44 revolver over the powder column, then a grease cookie on top of that. Again, YMMV.