Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Look what I found!!

Look what I found!!

I do not know a thing about this can someone tell me about it.The M1 Garand was before my time.What is the shield on the stock about?May be someones add on.Sorry about the bad pics.It has a shine to the bore but not much left in there.If some one can tell me anything about it that would be great.Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0455.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	57640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0458.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	57641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0459.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	57643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0456.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	57644

Boolit Master

Should be lots of information around on how it works, how to clean and tune it, where to get parts (stuff wears out inside), how to load the en bloc clips, etc.; the M1 Garand is one of the best documented rifles ever made.

A medallion inset in the buttstock like that is often a unit marking; a better photo might let someone identify or confirm it's something else.

It looks like the U.S.Army symbol to me.I need to get clips and ammo.Its not mine but is a good friend of mines.We would just like to know more about it.What web site should I try.Any Idea.

On Heaven's Range

Go to www.odcmp.com

which is the website of the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Find their list of forums, one of which is the M1 Garand forum. Skim the thread titles,and/ or do a search for what you want. Note the list of "stickies", as well.

Under "Sales" you will find info on buying Garands from the CMP.

Go to U-tube and search for "Garand"...there is a LOT of info there on stripping the rifle, loading and firing, etc etc.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    According to Fulton Armory, that serial number was delivered in June '41...
    http://fulton-armory.com/faqs/M1G-FAQs/tea/m1serial.htm

As stated earlier, start searching the web... You'll find lots of info... In books, Bruce Canfield is a well known and respected author on most military small arms...

They're great fun to shoot, but with ammo prices these days, you'll find they can be expensive unless you roll your own 30-06... Even so, they slurp up lots of powder... Most folks shy away from commercial '06 ammo in these... too much pressure at the muzzle...

Boolit Buddy
    Garands are a gift from God at a time our determined young men faced the most dangerous enemies the world has known. Stately, elegant and lethal!

The brass insert.in the stock is NOT USGI, either someone added it as a personal touch (most likely), or it was done by a foreign government ( most unlikely as it does not show any unit markings, etc.). What exactly does the image on the disc look.lime? Could you make a reasonably close drawing and post a pic of it?

Jeff

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    According to Fulton Armory, that serial number was delivered in June '41...
    His rifle s/n is 2.7 million. That is later than June 1941. My Nov.1941 Garand has a 6 digit s/n.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Here is the best M1 forum and refrence. http://www.jouster.com/forums/

I love my M1's, be certain you understand how to clean it, lube it and Very important, how to feed it.

Boolit Master
    According to Mr. Duff's book- March 1944. Barrel should be within 3 months, if it has a late 40's it is a post war rebuild. If barrel has early 50's post Korea overhaul. Information is out there, Mr. Duff has spent most of his adult life chasing this weapon, If you are serious about learnig order M1 Garand ww II by him. The lock bars look right also if they have square ends. Please keep the sectional rod out of bore! Have fun with the learning. Gtek

Super Moderator

.............I'd say that that butt medallion was the work of a bored owner. I don't know if a Soldier or Marine would have dared to have inletted it as the possible retribution might have been fearsome. Then again, anything is possible.

I bought this M91 Argentine from Century Arms in the late -'80's. On the buttstock you can see an oval brass plate. It was stamped, "R.Robertson", and had obviously been there awhile. I doubt the Argentine Military let troopers personalize their rifles anymore then the U.S. military would. Since the plate is obviously old, and I'd bought it from an importer I'm pretty sure they got it in a shipment from Argentina. I'd be fascinated to know WHY it was there almost as much as WHO R.Robertson was

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

The image on the medallion looks like The Great Seal of The United States of America.

In Remembrance

I`m wondering if this could have been from a military prep school?Robert

Boolit Master

I recently read that there were two things that the U.S. had that made a great difference in WWII.
    One was the Garand Rifle. The Germans were terrified that The U.S. had a semi-automatic and that they had bolt action rifles.
    The other was C-rations and K-rations. Our boys had nutrition on the front lines( even though it was not gourmet food) and the Germans many times went hungry. The Germans relied upon kitchens in the field to cook for their troops. Many times with the movement of front lines the field kitchens were a well distance from the front lines. In times of retreat the field kitchen was the first thing that was moved back. This lead to troops that missed many a meal.

For general information and details on field stripping and lubing try this link at the ODCMP http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/

Boolit Master
    I don't know what the emblem is but on page 64 of precision shooting with the M1 garand they show a young shooter at camp Perry with a rifle with simular emblem on stock?
    Go over to cmp forums and poke around

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure of your question about the Garand but it is a fine rifle and worth your time in studying it in detail and shooting it with the right ammo. I'll second the recommendation about getting Duff's book on the Garand called, "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide" and not very expensive BTW. The medallion to me looks like a memento placed there by a previous owner. Maybe to commemorate a history of being issued one during WWII or a relative being issued one.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master

The object inletted into the stock looks like it may be a brass uniform button. About the right size for an overcoat button.

Don't use commercial ammo unless it's some that is made for the M1. I know Hornady and Federal (American Eagle) have loads for the M1. Haven't checked CMP for ammo in a while...I doubt they have any given the current market for all things related to ammo, mags etc....
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=O3kgG6GXYyo

Hope this works. I thought that looked like a silver dollar I'd seen before. Looks like it, huh?
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Banned

Make sure you shoot ammo that appropriate for the Garand.

Typically 150gr 2900 fps velocity ammo is what you want.

Banned

There should be stamp on the side of the barrel under the 'charging' handle, probably has a date stamp on it. Will tell you who rebarreled it where an when.