MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whose responsibility?

Boolit Buddy
    Our postal delivery person is an older woman. I ordered a box of lead and when it showed up, she rang the doorbell and asked my wife to come out to her truck and get the package. Fortunately, my wife thought it was amusing. Now, if I buy something heavy, I'll get it shipped to my office.

If I order something fragile or valuable, I get it shipped to work, too. There is someone there all day, so they can't just throw it on the porch and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by 4719dave View Post
    po HATES HEAVY BOXES OF LEAD ......caught girl at the counter push my 50 lb boxes off the self onto the floor she didnt know i was still in the po WOW DID SHE GET A SURPRISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!double boxes hot glues together with sm flat rt boxes full of ingots then no space in the boxes with alot of hd packing take all sides of the boxes and INSURED wow made it .....
    YES THEY DO I bought three boxes of sticky ons from a fella in Utah and they never showed. We went to the post office and talked to the managers who are a couple we party with. They called the 5 ft tall Asian gal out that had lied and filled out that the boxes were delivered. She said she never delivered them because they were to heavy.
    BZZZT! Wrong answer. Postal workers are suppose to be able to lift a certain weight to qualify for the deliver job. She no longer works there. My buddy brought my boxes of lead to the front counter and I was on my way.

Boolit Master
    I have sold lead a few times here on cast boolits.
    At first I did not insure them, and 3 out of 10 did not make to the buyer.
    They all had delivery confirmation on them.
    One was lost in Texas, one just vanished and one was delivered empty in
    a very nice all togeather box.

I replaced all three boxes.

After that I have always insured the boxes and they have all found their way
    to the buyer intact and full.
    I also wrap the box with reinforced shipping tape in all directions and put "HEAVY"
    in red letters on all sides of the box, it helps a lot.

My post office delivery women always put my large packages on my porch, no
    matter what the weight.

I mostly ship lead in the small flat rate box. I can get 22 lbs in each box, and
    there is no space for the ingots to move arround.
    That makes shipping 66 lbs cost the same as one large flat rate box, and is
    easier to handle.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Mold
    I would say the seller is responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    One was lost in Texas, one just vanished and one was delivered empty in
    a very nice all togeather box.

Lafaun
    My wife cringes when she has to ship Texas. Weird stuff happens. One time Barbie sent something there and her and the customer watched it sit via tracking for 7 days in one spot. It finally arrived. Whew! it was price too!
    Just one of thousands when my wife sold an expensive suit that no longer fit me went to TX. It's still there. Somewhere HERE
    If she sends something there now it goes FEDEX.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    Our postal delivery person is an older woman. I ordered a box of lead and when it showed up, she rang the doorbell and asked my wife to come out to her truck and get the package. Fortunately, my wife thought it was amusing. Now, if I buy something heavy, I'll get it shipped to my office.

If I order something fragile or valuable, I get it shipped to work, too. There is someone there all day, so they can't just throw it on the porch and leave.
    FEDEX showed up at my door and the lady said. (Please bear with me here she was a US citizen but I almost needed and interpreture to understand what she was saying so I'll spell it the best I can.)

Her: Eye's gottsa buncha packages foe yooooo
    Me: OK well bring them up
    Her: Day heavy
    Me: Oh! Their heavy. OK What do you want me to do.
    Her: Needja to gets um outta my truck!
    Me: No problem I'll call your boss at FEDEX and tell him you need help bringing packages to my front door. (I shut the door)
    Then I get a knock on the door and all the packages are sitting there a minute later and she says "sign here sir".

So I call FEDEX afterwards and make them aware they need to send a crew to help this lady unload the half dozen packages out of her truck.
    Two weeks later I get another knock on the door and a lady of same ethic origin hands me my packages. Wow. What happen to the other gal I asked. She says all she knew is she was replacing someone that was let go. She a was jewel and really really nice.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-07-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Filament/Fiberglass reinforced Tape or Duct tape is the only way to ship heavy boxes. Fairshake said double box. We would duct tape even the interior bow and also always do signature confirmation.
    Also do not be an absentee recipient. If your expecting something arrange to be there. Very tempting for kids walking home to see your package and do the kid thing to it.

If your sending something that is more the $100.00 UPS or FEDEX it with insurance. You will loose every time with the PO on an insurance claim. We have.

Some dippy postal worker probably thought he found bars of silver sticking out of torn box, lol end of story. I had freshly smelted bars on the work bench and the son in laws bud walk in one time and put the skids on when he seen them. Told him I had a deal worked out the the undertaker and he bit hook line and sinker. He wanted to get in on it and it took me a while to set him staight for fear he would be going grave digging. Some people do not have much thought processing skills for sure. Besides me thinks there is more looting than losing even at the PO.

Boolit Mold
    You will also lose every time you have an insurance claim with UPS, been there, done that.

Boolit Master
    The worst experience I have had was from someone that had been on the site for less than a week. check and see how long the guy has been a member.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand how you guys lose so many claims with USPS. I've never lost one, ever. Care to post the particulars of the claims? Why was it denied? Was the packaging deemed improper? Or the value questioned?

My experiences: Item is broken and the box and item is taken back to the post office by the person who received it. Post office examines and renders a decision if the item was packaged properly. After that is done the claim paperwork is sent to me where I either attach a price sheet or receipt proving the items worth. 2-3 weeks later a check comes in the mail.

UPS is another story all together. I knew people who had items packaged by UPS then damaged and the claim was denied because of improper packaging! Several of my online buddies actually had to contact attorneys to get reimbursed for damaged rifles.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well I see this post is picking up steam and thought I would share some more with you guys. I can print and pay my postage from the house and its cheaper. The thing is the lady that runs the mail route here is a older very nice lady and could not bear making her pick up heavy boxes. When I receive heavy packages she drives up blows the horn and ask for help which is ok with me. One member sent me some boolits for me to test for hardness package arrived broken open I told her over half of them were missing. She went back to the office looked found 5 of them and carried them back to me the same day and was very sorry for the lost items. Now as far as packages I had several not make it one time 6 in one shipment I had tracking numbers on them and made calls to find out and started a search. I was told right off the bat the PO dose not lose packages every I must have put the wrong address on them or packed it wrong. I emailed her pics of the packing wood crate glue stapled nailed wrapped and tape fully. I asked what more could I do then she told me well sir they are heavy and had to expect loss. I replied well they all are under 70 lbs and I did not set that weight limit. Well a few packages finally made it they were repacked in new box I replace the others with new packages. Then after I mail more one member told me he got the first box a week later lol. Its a tricky thing mailing lead and at this point for me not worth the trouble not saying I will not mail more just not right now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I don't understand how you guys lose so many claims with USPS. I've never lost one, ever.
    ++++1++++

Boolit Master

As anyone who has shipped lead before knows, you basically need one box inside the other. Obviously, they have to be made real well, and taped to the max. I have shipped lead to folks on occasion, and I have considered it my responsibility to be sure the package arrives intact.
    The seller should make it good. He caused the problem. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Most seem to agree it is the seller's responsibility, as I agree also. I've only had to make good on a lost shipment once, but that is exactly what I did.

Strikes me funny though, most sellers list "insurance extra" or the like in their ad. The implication to me is that the seller considers the package to be the responsibility of the buyer, not the seller. They seem to be saying, no insurance, tough luck.

USPS insurance is almost impossible to collect, so says our local postmaster. I stopped insuring when I was mailing a scope back to its owner after repair, and it never arrived. We both started asking questions at our respective PO's and a week later it arrived at his house, opened and undamaged. If that mailing tube hadn't been insured, the would be theif would have assumed it was papers I think. Ya just can't win!

When I order whatever from whoever & it is damaged or lost by the freight company [whoever or whatever that may mean] they [the freight company] are the ones who should pay. That's why I insure everything shipped from our shop unless the customer asks us not. If they wish no insurance is it still my responsibility to replace lost or damaged goods? When a insured package from us is lost or damaged I replace them in a very timely fashion as any of our customers will testify. The PO & UPS back when, always handled our claims in a timely & friendly fashion.

Now if I was delivering the package myself that would be different. Anyway that's how I see it, your mileage may vary. I do find this an interesting discussion. We as individuals surely see things different.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    USPS insurance is almost impossible to collect, so says our local postmaster.
    Your postmaster is dead wrong. As I said before, I never once had a claim denied and always received the value of the insurance with 2-3 weeks. After filling out the initial claim forms USPS has never even asked me additional questions. But there again, all the items I shipped are packaged very well and the value is easy to prove and is not inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Your postmaster is dead wrong.
    I feel he's dead wrong also but I have no reason to doubt he said it. Also because I've had great results with the PO does mean others have. And surely there's nothing worse than dealing with the government at times.

Boolit Buddy
    Shipper is responsible to get the item to the receiver. Responsibility does NOT end with dropping it in a mailbox. My strong opinion. Wallacem in ga

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast