WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anybody got any wc857 load info

yea i would say it is faster than those , i would say h-1000 or maybe a lil faster.

i chrono'd a few but my readings isnt right , i must be doing somethin wrong. yestarday i set it up around 12 feet away and shot 4 loaded at 80.5gr,
    1st was 2764 ,
    2nd was 2778 ,
    3rd said error,
    4th said 2799,,,,,,,,

today i tried again ,
    1st was an error,
    2nd was 2800 ,
    3rd was 2837,
    4th was 2822 ,

then i tried 3 i had loaded with hornady brass and 75.5 gr of ramshot mad and a 220gr hornady rn bullet ,
    1st shot on that was 1550 ,
    2nd was 2760,
    3rd was 480.8...
    so there is something not right somewhere , maybe i just aint used to using a chrony i dont know.
    i might load 3 or 4 up with the 80.5gr load and see if it will hit a 12inch tarfet at around 100yd.

by the way it has been sunny when i used the chrony , i used the diffusers , i tried to shoot straight thru it about 4 to 6 in above the sensor eyes , i aimed around 7 to 8 inches above , i tried to aim at the same place each time , i was actually lookin at the bottom corner of a pallet i have up out there to staple targets to. but i could make out the chrony in the scope enuff to tell.

any ideas what i might be doin wrong with the chrony? should i cut some cardboard and wire tiee it to the sids for a light sheild??

anyway i hope youall have a great day,
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

Boolit Bub
    Were those first two sets of four with the 168gr A Max? What primer, regular large rifle or magnum?

I have a 300 WM and just purchased WC857 from a gun show (lot number 122910) and was wanting to try with what I had on hand, as I cannot find that 168Gr A max around here (par for the course everything being out of stock anymore) so unless I come across something else all I have are Hornady 180 GR SST Interlock or my 309 sized Lyman 311299 200gr and having a heck of a time finding any info

I guess if I am going to start tinkering with unpublished loads I need to get a chrony?

Quote Originally Posted by number7tn View Post
    yea i would say it is faster than those , i would say h-1000 or maybe a lil faster.

i chrono'd a few but my readings isnt right , i must be doing somethin wrong. yestarday i set it up around 12 feet away and shot 4 loaded at 80.5gr,
    1st was 2764 ,
    2nd was 2778 ,
    3rd said error,
    4th said 2799,,,,,,,,

today i tried again ,
    1st was an error,
    2nd was 2800 ,
    3rd was 2837,
    4th was 2822 ,

then i tried 3 i had loaded with hornady brass and 75.5 gr of ramshot mad and a 220gr hornady rn bullet ,
    1st shot on that was 1550 ,
    2nd was 2760,
    3rd was 480.8...
    so there is something not right somewhere , maybe i just aint used to using a chrony i dont know.
    i might load 3 or 4 up with the 80.5gr load and see if it will hit a 12inch tarfet at around 100yd.

by the way it has been sunny when i used the chrony , i used the diffusers , i tried to shoot straight thru it about 4 to 6 in above the sensor eyes , i aimed around 7 to 8 inches above , i tried to aim at the same place each time , i was actually lookin at the bottom corner of a pallet i have up out there to staple targets to. but i could make out the chrony in the scope enuff to tell.

any ideas what i might be doin wrong with the chrony? should i cut some cardboard and wire tiee it to the sids for a light sheild??

anyway i hope youall have a great day,
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

hi tiwimon, sorry it took so long to reply. i have been using 175gr smk bullets thru all the wc857 loads. im sure your 180gr sst's will be close to the same , i think my lot number is diffrent than yours though.
    i have been using federal 215m magnum match primers , and mostly ppu (privi) brass , but have used some nickle fc brass and some winchester nickle ww-super brass. the capacity on the fc brass is a little less than the other , oh i also used hornady brass for a few , and it all seemed the same pressure wise except the fc brass.
    i have been seating them at an oal of 3.4 ,, and on a few i tried 3.45 .

the chrony numbers i posted up there is not right , or atleast i dont think they are , i havent took time to work out the bugs with the chrony yet , so dont go by them.

i know lot numbers means a bunch in surp powders and i cant say for sure where to start , but i will say if it was mine id use whatever primer i had and the 180gr sst's you got and start around 65 to 68 gr and work up keeping everything the same (except powder charge) go slow till you see pressure sighns or get that acid/amonia smell from the fired case.

hope this helps a little.
    have a great week
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

By "burning quite a bit faster", I meant the rate at which the powder is being consumed by burning in your cartridges. Faster meaning higher pressures (and velocities) up to the point of maximum pressure.
    Try placing your chrongraph at 15 ft. to get it out of the muzzle blast.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by number7tn View Post
    hi tiwimon, sorry it took so long to reply. i have been using 175gr smk bullets thru all the wc857 loads. im sure your 180gr sst's will be close to the same , i think my lot number is diffrent than yours though.
    i have been using federal 215m magnum match primers , and mostly ppu (privi) brass , but have used some nickle fc brass and some winchester nickle ww-super brass. the capacity on the fc brass is a little less than the other , oh i also used hornady brass for a few , and it all seemed the same pressure wise except the fc brass.
    i have been seating them at an oal of 3.4 ,, and on a few i tried 3.45 .

the chrony numbers i posted up there is not right , or atleast i dont think they are , i havent took time to work out the bugs with the chrony yet , so dont go by them.

i know lot numbers means a bunch in surp powders and i cant say for sure where to start , but i will say if it was mine id use whatever primer i had and the 180gr sst's you got and start around 65 to 68 gr and work up keeping everything the same (except powder charge) go slow till you see pressure sighns or get that acid/amonia smell from the fired case.

hope this helps a little.
    have a great week
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell
    Hey number7tn, thanks for the reply, its a huge help - as I had nada, zip, zilch before so much appreciated - I'll be loading some up at 65 with my magnum primers tomorrow, maybe I can get to the range as well and see how they do. Next up on my list of wants/needs is a chrony!
    Have a great week(end) to you as well!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130216_210644.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	62955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130217_164821.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	62956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scope.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	62957

WC857 CRONY RESULTS 338 LAPUA
    Feb 17 2013 48 deg 33% humidity empty case capacity wc857 111 GR
    I fixed my DNZ scope mount issues Thanks to Tim Work at DNZ I sent an email after 830pm and got a reply about 9 good customer service is and understatement.

I used 101.5 of wc857 fed 215match norma brass not good results 2 strings
    1 3042 1 2885
    2 3087 2 2921
    3 3114 3 3044 FPS
    all at 15 feet.

The results were not consistant Groups were not good. But after doing research I need to do cronographing from a rest and 10 shot strings. I may have lower the charge and or go to a heavy boolit 300gr. I have my first 50 brass going on its 4th loading it only needed a light trimming so far.

Darell I sent some pics of my old crony stand in the front i have angle iron 1/4 thick Pistol and shotgun i use nothing but for rifle with scope I put some paper behind it . The top hole is where i aim and the bottom home is where the boolit goes start high . You will notice on one pic off to the side a hole where a 55gr zmax hit the crony shield and sent fragments through the paper. I nicked it with the 338 once I guess the angle helps because ive already punched holes in 3/8 mild plate @130yds. Im going to have to modifi the stand so it is adjustable up and down.

Darell I noticed your 300wm came alive at 75gr. Ill keep working on it when I can .

Thanks Eric

thanks for the pics Eric, gave me some more ideas. i havent done much loading or shooting in a while mostly due to the weather. but when i get a chance ill try and get the chrony stuff figured out. thanks again.

tiwimon im glad to help a little, i started with nothin for a 300wm with the wc857, all i had was a load jeff barlet used in his 25-06 and he said it should be fine using h-870 data minus 10% but i went 15% or so less just to be safe.
    let us know how it does for you when you can.
    thanks
    hope all has a great weekend comming up.
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

Howdy Brethren.
    When I used to load H857 (not a pulldown, but straight from Hodgdon) all I kept were my hand written notes.
    If memory serves, I used it from .243 with a heavy boolit to 30-06 with 180gr, and up to 220gr, heaviest I used at the time.
    It's been a few years since I have loaded with it, and doggone it, there's not a note to be found. I have a goodly supply of H857 (about 40 pounds) and itching to load with it again.
    I can't find it in the manuals that I have.
    Do any of you gentlemen have H857 actually listed in a manual? If so, which one?
    Thanks, and kind regards.
    Mike

Vendor Sponsor
    Deputy67,

Try removing the paper right behind your chrono and see if your odd readings continue or clear up.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    Howdy Brethren.
    When I used to load H857 (not a pulldown, but straight from Hodgdon) all I kept were my hand written notes.
    If memory serves, I used it from .243 with a heavy boolit to 30-06 with 180gr, and up to 220gr, heaviest I used at the time.
    It's been a few years since I have loaded with it, and doggone it, there's not a note to be found. I have a goodly supply of H857 (about 40 pounds) and itching to load with it again.
    I can't find it in the manuals that I have.
    Do any of you gentlemen have H857 actually listed in a manual? If so, which one?
    Thanks, and kind regards.
    Mike
    Mike i wished i could help you out , but i never saw any data for h857 , and didnt know they made h857.
    i dont know if this is the same powder or not, but i didnt have much at all to go on when i started usin it.
    i do know it wont make the action work on an sks , i put a case full to the top, pushed a 200 grain boolit in it, it was tryin to push the boolit out befor i could crimp it, didnt bulg the case but was very compressed , and i had a fed 215 mag match primer in it , still left lot of unburnt powder and wouldnt cycle my sks.
    i did finally get it to cycle my rem 7400 in 30/06 with a fed mag primer and a 220 gr jacketed round nose , but i still had a lot of unburnt powder blowing back in the chamber. didnt have it compressed but just quit workin on it and havent done any more with it.
    it does do good in my 300wm , no unburnt powder and is very accurate, but i havent checked the velocity yet.
    i have also used it in 30-30 with diffrent boolits/bullets, lot of unburnt powder in chamber.

i know this prob dont help you much , but if i ever find h857 data ill let you know.
    by the way , welcome to Cast Boolits.
    have a great day.
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12