Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I can not beleave the buying going on

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Ebner there may be a silver lining in that theory ... all those guys stuffing the closets probably won't be buying more ammo when the prices come back down . Then , the guys that plan ahead can go back to getting large amounts and a reasonable deal .

Jack
    Jack, we're exactly on the same page. Most of us here lived through the 94 crime bill, two terms of Clinton, Y2K, and two Obama elections. To be quite honest this is the craziest I have ever seen buying but once again, it will stabalize. At the moment I am amply stocked up besides a few odds and ends. I wouldn't mind having another sleeve of CCI #34s, but oh well, I'll get buy off of what I have. Yes, I did buy my 3 boxes of 55 grain american eagle for 8.04, this isn't because I need it. This is trading materal to someone that has something I want, ie CCI 34s. If I get no takers I'll get buy on what I have and get the primers when they come back down. I can live in a barter economy but I refuse to be scalped.

Ebner

Boolit Bub
    What I can't believe is 223 ammo going for over a buck a round if you can find any. I'm glad I reloaded for this panic. I can chew up a lot of it at the range.

Boolit Buddy
    Very scary and stupid buying. Hope it settles down.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    $150 for a $30 shell plate that will never be banned.......what is this world coming too?

Boolit Grand Master

Bet the seller wishes he had a few more.
    It's nuts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Bet the seller wishes he had a few more.
    It's nuts out there.
    It's the only one I had.

I have 3 ammo cans full of .223 so I think I can hold out until they become available again.

Boolit Master
    What's the cheapest ar out there and who has it? I'm not shopping, thinking of selling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    What's the cheapest ar out there and who has it? I'm not shopping, thinking of selling.
    Just came back from having coffee with a fellow who was mulling over the same question. Seems like he's got an original (pre-ban) Colt H-Bar sitting in his safe that hasn't been fired in over 10 years and he's considering turning it into cash before our beloved governor and/or legislature attempt something really stupid. He's a Distinguished Master handgunner who says he hasn't got any use for the AR since he no longer shoots 3-gun matches. I told him to check around for new prices on current production clones and then add 10%-15% 'cause there's always someone out there with more money than brains.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

And my lgs has just about everything in stock, including 4 ARs on the rack at normal prices. Plenty of ammo of all kinds and lots of powder and j-words. Racks are pretty full too. I picked up an extra 2000 209 primers at $29.99/thou. I go through a lot of those. Their selection of powders was a little low, but they were expecting another shipment yesterday. But what they had, they had plenty of.... And before you ask, Great Lakes Outdoor Supply, Middlefield Ohio.

I was born in 1942 and started handloading in the late 50's. The guys I hunted, loaded and shot with were all older and told stories of what shooting was like in WWII. There were no guns and only a little ammo if you were a farmer or rancher. Shooting wise, WWII was a "come as you are" party. Hearing those horror stories, I have always kept a good stash of power, primers, brass, lead and gas checks on hand..just in case something like that happened again.

Well, it has happened again, but this time it was not the Japs, it was our own goverment. The shortages of guns and ammo has never been as great since WWII. This will smooth our sooner or later, but it will take several years.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Here's a laugher:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221186499756...=p5197.c0.m619

Several people are bidding on empty .223 ammo boxes. Shipped price is over 80 cents each!

Can't afford actual ammo? Buy the cardboard ammo boxes!

Seller is truly brilliant! We were foolishly throwing these away all these years!

Boolit Master

the sad part about this is not only the short supply of everything, it's also the price gougeing going on. i hope i'm wrong but i believe it's gonna get worse before it gets better, one thing's for certain it woun't be the same.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Skimmerhead I think what's going on tells you how weak the US dollar really is. I think I'm buying some more gold or silver on Monday.

Boolit Master

Skimmerhead I think what's going on tells you how weak the US dollar really is. I think I'm buying some more gold or silver on Monday.
    a couple years or so back when the price of gold dropped to 715.00 an ounce i wanted to invest 20,000 dollars in gold my wife nearly had a cow! the first time iv'e ever listened to her in my life. lesson learned! never listen to her again!!
    skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master

I started fooling around with that, started with gram weights and it's progressed. Stay away from the coins unless it's "Junk" and then get them. Some of the numismatist's on there are nuts. (Flea-bay.)
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    a couple years or so back when the price of gold dropped to 715.00 an ounce i wanted to invest 20,000 dollars in gold my wife nearly had a cow! the first time iv'e ever listened to her in my life. lesson learned! never listen to her again!!
    skimmerhead
    I didn't ask my wife, and she's glad I didn't. She would have had the same opinion as yours. Bought at slightly under $800. oz troy and sold at $1966. Bought again at $1233. and am holding. I still have 2 nuggets that I bought at $460., that I'm saving for old times sake.
    Gold can only increase (long term) from now on, our "Gov" will see to that.

I went to a local PRO gun show yesterday and the prices were crazy and over the top. $995 for 1000 rounds of PMC .223. That is silly. It seeems what ever prices used to be .... automatically double it an that was the show price. I didn't spend much. a partial box of .44 mags for 8 bucks and some BP wonderlube and felt wads for my cap-n-ball pistol. It wasn't worth the 1/2 hour standing in line in the cold to get in.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    I started fooling around with that, started with gram weights and it's progressed. Stay away from the coins unless it's "Junk" and then get them. Some of the numismatist's on there are nuts. (Flea-bay.)
    Yeah I have a little bullion at home, but hold 10 shares of GLD in my Roth IRA. Probably buy another 10 shares tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMK79 View Post
    I understand why the AR-15 and AK-47 type weapons are selling out along with the ammo for them. I don't understand why old surplus rifles and a lot of the pistols and revolvers are selling out.
    Yeah I recently got into Mil Surp and got on the notify list for a 91/30 at Aim Surplus, then went ahead and bought a hand-select ex-sniper from Family Firearms and Finishes.

I got the email Friday afternoon. Even though I had a great one, I started thinking about the $109 price tag Sat morning, but they were gone. I guess that one kinda makes sense with ammo tight and almost endless cheap 7.62x54r ammo available.

I also got interested in the Star Bs. Robertson trading post puts them on GA at great prices, but they appear to sell within minutes of listing.