Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New RCBS Summit Single Stage Press - Weird Look and Operation!!

The die moves to the brass instead of the other way around, gravity would be helping instead
    of being "lifted"..interesting, looks like a cross between an old hollywood and a co-ax with a little
    innovation thrown into the mix. If they stop making them in a couple of years we can pick them up
    on 'de bay for about $7000 dollars ten years from now...have you seen what some of the lovely old
    pig iron is going for now? Whoo, I better get me one before I know anything about it! YesI'm an addict!
    Last edited by o6Patient; 01-22-2013 at 05:36 PM.

I played with one at the SHOT show this past week. It has the same leverage as a Rockchucker, and is made from cast iron. It's plenty smooth to operate, and there is an adjustment screw on the back of the sleeve that keeps it from twisting on the column, and for taking up any slack from wear. It's very similar to the adjustment screw on the later Hollywood Senior presses. The biggest advantage to this new press is the open front and larger work area for loading longer rounds.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I played with one at the SHOT show this past week. It has the same leverage as a Rockchucker, and is made from cast iron. It's plenty smooth to operate, and there is an adjustment screw on the back of the sleeve that keeps it from twisting on the column, and for taking up any slack from wear. It's very similar to the adjustment screw on the later Hollywood Senior presses. The biggest advantage to this new press is the open front and larger work area for loading longer rounds.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Did the bottom casting look adequately stable to you?- just taking another look at the pictures in more detail-
    does a 2" ram seem "beefy" for this type of press? They have engineers.. and what do I know?
    I think they look really interesting and I'd love to try one. thx for the update

and thx rgmj for starting the thread

The base looks plenty strong, but when I asked if it was rated for swaging bullets, the rep told me the only RCBS press ever rated for swaging was their very first one, which was cast steel. All the subsequent presses have been cast iron, so his answer was "no". The most obvious advantage was the open front of the press, much like my Hollywood presses. There's nothing to interfere with handling the case or bullet. My specific question was about leverage, and he said it was the same as the Rockchucker.

The solid ram also looks very similar to the ram on my Hollywood presses, and I've been using one of them for 50 years of handloading, and I bought it used from one of my college professors in 1963. I would say it looked "beefy" enough for reloading.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Very odd, looks almost lake some sort of arbor press with dies actually mounted to it. I have to trust the guys that make reloading equipment for a living, but to me, leverage looks reduced. But what do i know? I suppose the real advantage to it would be not needing to be bolted down. Which as somebody moving to a condo this fall to continue studies at a new school and won't be able to take my press setup, doesn't seem like a bad deal. Not sure how RCBS claims it's for faster single stage loading, i can't understand how it'd be faster than a RC but it seems like an awful lot of throw to the press handle.
    Interested to read what you guys had to say and where this goes!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

It definately needs to be bolted to a solid bench. It won't work if it isn't. The ram is mounted to the base via 6 machine bolts, 3 on each side in vertical rows. It looked like the ram was steel, while the base, die mounting and top portion were cast iron. The linkages are of steel, as are the two handles. One handle is long, and the other is shorter, probably for loading handgun cartridges, where it doesn't take as much leverage to size the cases.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Short one would probably work good for bullet seating and crimping also.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks for that link!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I knew that design looked familiar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MYPOTTER6.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	59555

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MYPOTTER3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	59554
    Jon

New RCBS Summit Single Stage Press - Weird Look and Operation!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The base looks plenty strong, but when I asked if it was rated for swaging bullets, the rep told me the only RCBS press ever rated for swaging was their very first one, which was cast steel. All the subsequent presses have been cast iron, so his answer was "no". The most obvious advantage was the open front of the press, much like my Hollywood presses. There's nothing to interfere with handling the case or bullet. My specific question was about leverage, and he said it was the same as the Rockchucker.

The solid ram also looks very similar to the ram on my Hollywood presses, and I've been using one of them for 50 years of handloading, and I bought it used from one of my college professors in 1963. I would say it looked "beefy" enough for reloading.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Odd. I had a RCBS rep tell me the huge 2" ram made this strong enough for swaging. Either way, I liked the press.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

The rep I talked to at the SHOT Show said it was the cast iron base that wouldn't stand up to bullet swaging. That's where the stresses are, since the ram is connected to the cast iron base, which is bolted to the bench with two bolts.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I think that is a really cool press...I like it. I'm not gonna pull the Ammomaster SS off the bench to add one, but if I were looking for something new I'd consider it..kinda spendy though..

It is spendy. You can get 3 Lee Classic Cast presses for the same amount of money. I'm not impressed, at least as it relates to the asking price on the press. My Ultramags won't feel threatened.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe its just me. But the only advantages I see is that it doesen't hang over your bench. Might be good if you have limited space. Also I hope the spent primer catcher is better than my Rockchucker's. Its interesting. But I dont think I'd replace my Rockchucker with it. I can think of a few single stage presses I would buy before that one.

Seems solid enough to me. Frankly, I don't see the difference between bringing the cartridge to the dye or the dye to the cartridge.

The thing I like about it is the ambidextrous setup. Punching out rounds using the same arm is no good, especially if you are punching out thousands in your XL650 along side the single stage. That's a great way to irritate old shoulder, wrist, elbow and even back and neck injuries. A guy has to switch it up and this press lets you do that.

I am in the market for a single stage and I'm torn between the Summit and the Forster. Even with no units out there right now and no reviews I'm leaning towards the Summit.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a good solid press. If you get one, please be sure and give us a Bench Review.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Interesting press,but I think I'll just keep my Lil Hollywood!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hi Seagiant, definitely keep that little jewel!

Here is the taller, stronger, twin brother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HWSeniorTall.jpg  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Hi Lube,
    I have a buddy that has 2 of the taller Seniors,just like mine (no rod like yours) except it is a couple of inches taller and he will sale me one but wants $200! Should I get it???
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast