Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 22 Jet in a H&R topper158 Help

22 Jet in a H&R topper158 Help

Just picked up this H&R topper model 158 with 3 barrels for a 150 bucks. It came with 3 barrels. 22 rem Jet, 30-30 win, and a 20ga.

The 22 jet i have been researching the web and see that it was designed for a 222 j slug instead of 223. I need to slug the barrel and plan to only shoot cast boolits through it. only have a .225 sizer die. a 55 rcbs and a mihec nato GB mold.

I dont have dies or brass yet in the 22 jet but have hundreds of 218 bee brass and a set of dies. has anybody messed with the 22 jet or could i ream out the barrel to a 218 bee cartridge.

i searched the forum and nothing came up on CB site for the the little jet. What do you guys think i should do?
    High Hook

Boolit Buddy
    No, the 218 Bee is too small and is meant for a .224 bore. The 22 Jet is based on the 357 Magnum case. I'd leave it as it is and either shoot cast or light to moderate loads with .223 bullets. You can still find the .222 Hornadys in old gun shops or good gun shows.

Or, you could have it bored out to 256 Win. Mag. if you really can't live with the Jet and want to invest a lot more money into this utility gun.

Boolit Master
    Sell it to me.

It's your gun, but I wouldn't rechamber. If you decide to shoot it, Graf's has 22 jet PRVI brass for $26.99/100. They had a 1-16" twist, so you might need to go to a lighter boolit like a 225438. If a .225 sized boolit will chamber, that's what I would try first, as I bet the chamber and throat is large enough to accept it. Then size smaller if needed. I would bet a 225438 or similar sized .225 or .224 would work just fine. I envy you, I'd really like to have one of those 22 jet barrels. Just haven't been able to find one that wasn't an overpriced listing on gunbroker.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master

Most of the Jet barrels were .223 dia. The Bee is 224 and the body dia. is too small to just simply rechamber. Think I would just leave it alone and play with the Jet ctg.
    Just a thought but the Bee brass is pricy and wanted stuff. Could be sold here at a nice profit.
    The Jet can be easily formed from .357 brass. You do have to hold your chew in the middle of your mouth but it can be done and makes very usable brass for the Jet.
    Have only seen a couple of rifles chambered in the Jet but with careful working they would hold their own with most Hornets but it did take some playing. Cast bullets are no problem but jacketed are, due to that .223 bore dia.

Hmmm. If you do have a real small groove diameter barrel, shoot me a P/M. I know I've got one or two boxes of .222 Jet j-warts around here. I bought 'em on general principles - I've got two different .22 Lovells that were made on .22 rimfire barrels. But those shoot the .223 Sierra 40 grainers just fine, so I can share. I even shoot 35 grain .224 Ballistic tips in them, FWIW. Although not at max loads.
    Cognitive Dissident

As in - slug your bore? Also, bigger than groove boolits can shoot fine. Lossa guys fit the boolit to the chamber instead of the groove (you've heard maybe " if it will chamber shoot it" or "load it as big as will chamber"). So a .223 barrel will probly shoot .225 boolits okay or even better often than .224 boolits (they should be at least a thou over groove diameter anyway). I shoot .228 boolits in my H&R .22 Hornet (helps to be hard and big in those H&R barrels with the .001 deep rifling LOL). Jackets can be shot in the same relation , probly best not to get too big though. Shoot it and see.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Thanks for all the info guys... Here in Kalifornia i have to wait 10 days whether i buy an "a**ault rifle"or 40yr old single shot rifle.
    I have decided to buy some brass and dies for the little jet, slug the bore and see what i can do with it.

We have plenty of ground varmints around here and it seems to be a light compact rifle to walk around with.

Also i just ordered the GB 225107 37gr. Just need to wait patiently to let everything come together now.
    High Hook

I am very curious if you jet shoots.My friend had a topper in jet and 2" groups at 50 yards were the best he got with jacketed bullets.Nothing could be found wrong wit the rifles chamber or bore!He owned it for about three years and would go to it now and again hoping to find something out and never did.

If you punch it to Bee you can shoot Hornet bullets @ .223 no problem.I had a Bee that was made with a Win 52 take off i did this with.Just like uscra112 says

george
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 01-03-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    There was an American Rifleman "Dope Bag" review of the H&R .22 Jet in the 1963 to 1964 time frame.
    The article said the rifling in the bore was pretty bad and the groups were huge.
    EDG

Part of me says spend the money on dies and brass and the other part says let it go. Maybe deal with the 30-30.
    What do you guys think? All was looking ok until the last 2 posts...
    High Hook

Boolit Master

I have a single shot bolt gun that I built years ago for the 22 SuperJet. That is a blown out 22 Jet. I have a set of Jet dies that come in handy for forming brass if I can't find commercial Jet brass. PRIVI brass is some good stuff, BTW.

If I were in posession of the barrel you have, I'd not hesitate to use .224-5" cast boolits in it. The cartridge is a hoot and provided you use good sense, you will have a lot of fun with it. ALSO, I'd not hesitate to use the light 224 bullets in it but work up your loads. Start low and watch for pressure signs.
    The 45 to 50 grain J-words with thin varmit jackets will likely be you best bullets in commercial bullets. If you want to get rid of the barrel, I know a guy from Michigan that would be willing to take it off your hands.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HighHook View Post
    Part of me says spend the money on dies and brass and the other part says let it go. Maybe deal with the 30-30.
    What do you guys think? All was looking ok until the last 2 posts...
    Don't make a decision based on a couple of internet quotes. You may have lucked out and got one with a good bore. However do not fail to be suspicious of the 30-30 barrel.
    A friend of mine had one that had rifling for about the first 12 inches ahead of the breech. From there the bore diameter opened like a funnel until the rifling disappeared.

If you have good eyesight or have a friend that does examine a nice .22 rifle bore by pointing the breech at the ceiling and looking into the muzzle. Do the same for the .22 Jet. Then run a very tight patch through both. See if you feel any difference.
    Finally slug the bore or cast it with Cerro Safe and measure it at the muzzle.
    Then find a copy of the NRA magazine. Finally shoot the thing and see what happens.
    I love exploring the unknown. Not everyone does. You can't sail new seas if you never lose sight of the shore.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't get discouraged before you even get your sweaty little hands on it. I never had one of the Jets, but did have a .22 Hornet around 1982 that shot fair, but not bughole groups. My best friend also had one of the .30-30s that I saw him kill a squirrel at about 140 yards with. This was all in my pre-casting days, who knows what they would have done with a properly fitting boolit????

Robert

Well guys thanks for the help on this. I did buy some brass and dies and await the rifle.

Like EDG noted "exploring the unknown" Thats what keeps the heart beating in this addiction.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by HighHook View Post
    Well guys thanks for the help on this. I did buy some brass and dies and await the rifle.

Like EDG noted "exploring the unknown" Thats what keeps the heart beating in this addiction.
    Heck just buy one of the new Lyman 225348's , I'll damn near bet you it'll drop .223" or smaller then you can get a Lee push through sizer in .222".
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife