Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My mind is wandering

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    ED, I am tongue in cheek about the ripping off of the 35-30 Maynard but lets take that a little further. As Steve Garbe put it in the Spring 1998 BPC News "I doubt that the advertising geniuses for Remington or Ruger wanted to announce new firearms chambered for the .35-30 Maynard, so enter the .357 Maximum." I think he is joshing a bit as well. But CLEARLY the 1898 S&W Special was a BLATANT rip off of the 1882 .35-30 Maynard...they just shortened it.

Unfortunately, my thought about heavier bullets in the 16 twist did not work for SG. He could not get enough velocity out of the case for long range stability of NEI 275gr bullet. He even went to 32g of 4F (YIKES). His conclusion was that a 14 twist might be better or lighter bullets. I read another account of 357max using a case full of 3f and standard pistol bullets that worked well for the reporter. All of this is stuff I read, not something I have actually tried. Goatwhiskers, I hope this is useful.
    Yeah, I know Holland and Holland ripped off the BP universe when they stole the .38-95 BPE and added a belt to the case.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    When Winston Churchill said "the law is an ***" he probably had the CA legislature in mind.

http://www.gunlaw.com/index.php?opti...d=17&Itemid=28

apparently, for now, it is not enforced everywhere
    And now they are considering initiating Ammunition Control, requiring an ANNUAL LICENSE in order to buy ammunition, and requiring recording of all ammunition sales. And God only knows what else they will dream up (actually that would be dreaming of imposing on the "little people" for years now). One thing we do know is that the Democrats control all the political power for the State of California and they believe they can pass into statute anything they want and do pretty much anything they wish.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, Ed I am afraid that they will and can do anything that they want. I do not fear crooked politicians anywhere near as much as a crooked media that supports them. Every now and then an "arsenal" law is proposed that requires the registration of any household that possess more than a certain number of firearms with registration fees and facility inspections. Worse, unless we band together this **** will infect the nation. The palace guard is well armed.

Boolit Master
    Ouch - and now NY joins in the madness. If it were not for the pernicious creep of these ideas to the rest of the country (flyover country to many in NY and CA), I'd say these people deserve the government for which they voted. Unfortunately, while I don't see Texas joining this idiocy, we have to worry about the Community Organizer in Chief and his gun banning friends imposing another increment of their ultimate dream on us.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Howse anyone gonna find out if you have more then 1 lb. in your reloading room? Whatabout 1000 loaded rounds? Are they gonna pull the bullets to check?

Boolit Master
    Dang it! MT you just told 'em where my BP stash is.

For what it's worth, sometime back I tried loading some Trailboss in a 44 mag rifle. It was such an anemic load that after a clip of 4 shots, I unloaded the rest and went back to more conventional loads.

Boolit Master

Dumasron: Trailboss powder really isn't designed to be a BP substitute, and in fact if used in older weaker guns from the BP era it's quite possible to blow up the gun. Trailboss was really designed for loading CAS loads in modern guns chambered in older BP cartridges, it's bulky so it fills the cases better, but it's NOT a low pressure powder! A better smokeless powder to load in older BP guns (if you really must use smokeless, rather than real BP like it was designed for) would be IMR's SR4759. SR4759 is a fairly low pressure powder, and lots of people use it in older guns for just that reason. I've also seen SR4759 used in duplex loads, a small amount of 4759 (not more than 10% of the load), then the rest of the load using black powder, supposedly duplex loads give you a cleaner burn, leaving lots less fouling behind, but I've never tried this.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410