Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel porting legal or illegal?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Barrel porting legal or illegal?

I can't find a ruling on the BATF site which states that barrel porting/muzzle brakes are legal or illegal.

No reason for them to be illegal as they do not muffle the report of the firearm. There have been flash hiders ruled illegal because they quieted muzzle blast, as I understand it from visits with my local agent if a device reduces noise by 1 decibel it is considered a suppressor and subject to class III regulations. But there is no rule on the books against making a firearm louder, that I'm aware of.

Boolit Master

You should be good to go. Even during the Klinton Katastrophe muzzle devices were allowable as long as they were pinned and welded, so porting shouldn't offend anyone.

Boolit Master
    Be sure you want to deal with the increased noise before you do any porting. I bought about a new sako 7 mag barrel that had been magnaported. When I shot it, I see why they had sold it. It was painful to shoot without ear protection. I had a sleeve made to cover the porting.

I spent several years with long hair and experienced several cops who looked for a reason to put me in jail because of my hair and hippy looks. If a Louisiana game warden doesn't like me for whatever reason, he could claim a port is a silencer and give me a ticket or worse. It would be up to me to hire a lawyer and prove my case. And maybe bond myself out of jail. A "should' or "probably" won't work. I need an absolute. The difference is thousands of dollars.

Louisiana game wardens are not enforcers of BATF regulations, so even if he were to give you grief the Feds would be called in to take over and the warden in question would be made to look like an ***. Surely any one who has ever been around firearms or read a hunting magazine has seen a muzzle brake. If that all fails just ask him to shoot it without ear protection .

If porting or muzzle brakes were subject to BATF class 3 regulations I doubt very seriously that the shop I work at could have gotten away with installing up to 20 a week for the last 20 or so years without having people get tax stamps. Also Magnaport would not be able to just ship your firearm back to you directly without paperwork or a transfer. Installing a brake or porting a firearm is considered a repair by the BATF, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Louisiana game wardens are not enforcers of BATF regulations, so even if he were to give you grief the Feds would be called in to take over and the warden in question would be made to look like an ***. Surely any one who has ever been around firearms or read a hunting magazine has seen a muzzle brake. If that all fails just ask him to shoot it without ear protection .

If porting or muzzle brakes were subject to BATF class 3 regulations I doubt very seriously that the shop I work at could have gotten away with installing up to 20 a week for the last 20 or so years without having people get tax stamps. Also Magnaport would not be able to just ship your firearm back to you directly without paperwork or a transfer. Installing a brake or porting a firearm is considered a repair by the BATF, nothing more.
    It's illegal to hunt with a silenced firearm in Louisiana. So, yes, a game warden could give me a ticket or arrest me. And if installing a brake is considered a repair by the BATF, show me where the law says that. Logic has nothing to do with it. This is after Newtown.

All I can offer that I haven't already is to tell you to call your local BATF field agent. They are usually very helpful and will set you straight.

It may be none of my business but I just have to ask what prompted this search? Have you been hassled over a ported barrel before? If so maybe a call to the wildlife commissioner is in order to talk about the on the job performance.

I wish you the best of luck although I think you are being "overly cautious".

Boolit Master

Honestly, if you have game wardens who'll hassle you to that level, you need to find another state to hunt (and live) in.

Boolit Master

I just did a lengthy search to find an answer, and I couldn't find anything specific to your question written either. I will second the suggestion to ask your local ATF brach office. I have spoken to mine a couple of times and they are quite helpful. And don't worry about putting yourself in a legal bind by asking -- they will find the information and answer your question and that will be that.

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    I just did a lengthy search to find an answer, and I couldn't find anything specific to your question written either. I will second the suggestion to ask your local ATF brach office. I have spoken to mine a couple of times and they are quite helpful. And don't worry about putting yourself in a legal bind by asking -- they will find the information and answer your question and that will be that.
    It may be next week, but that's exactly what I plan to do. I'll post the answer here along with a link to the legal text if there is a legal text. I don't believe there is. If not, IMHO, all muzzle brake users are at risk.

Boolit Master

To be a silencer, one must have a baffle. Ported firearms are available from several sources. IF the legality was in doubt, I seriously doubt that major manufactureres would have the option. Porting in NO way quiets a firearms report. Magnaport has be in business for at least 20 years adding ports to barrels. BTW, flash suppressors and muzzle brakes have been added to firearms to extend the barrel length to or past the minimum for several years. A fellow can add a blank barrel extension to reach the minimum length also. Of course the BATFE will have the final answer and should satisfy any questions.

Edd

PS, if a barrel would be illegal length without the extension, the extension must be permanently attached.
    Last edited by badgeredd; 01-02-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added info
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master

So, The game warden will bust on you for your factory ported turkey shotgun? What about your Browning A-bolt with the BOSS system?
    I cannot imagine any game warden writing a citation for a muzzle break, or a ported barrel. If he can do that, then he can write a citation for a rubber butpad too.
    Call your local authorities and ask. That's what they are there for.
    If you are really afraid of getting in trouble with the local authorities, this is the very last place you need to be looking for advice. If an officer has you bent over the hood of your truck, "goodsteel told me it was OK" doesn't cut much ice, savvy?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

The last time I checked, this was still America - if BATF didn't list "it" specifically as prohibited or otherwise regulated, then anyone's good to go.

AFAIK, the only laws that specifically allowed anything was the US Constitution & the Bill of Rights.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    It may be next week, but that's exactly what I plan to do. I'll post the answer here along with a link to the legal text if there is a legal text. I don't believe there is. If not, IMHO, all muzzle brake users are at risk.
    Well That's what ya get when the stupid liberals are in power.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Well That's what ya get when the stupid liberals are in power.
    Thanks. You're a swell guy.

The legal/not legal person @wlf.la.gov said my holes would be a muzzle brake and "considered legal." That's good enough for me.

Boolit Master
    Junior1942, Smith & Wesson makes their 500 S&W pistol with a muzzle break and other companies, do they sell these in your state?
    If they do there should be no problem but I see where you are coming from.

In Remembrance

If porting is deemed illegal then somebody better notify Magnaport that founder Larry Kelly has been breaking the law for quite a few decades!Robert

And from the grave now for over a year. RIP Larry, great handgunner he was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast