Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 shooters may want to try this.

Boolit Man

45 shooters may want to try this.

I like shooting my 45 Hawken but was a little annoyed with the reloading speed, what with having to grab the powder,patch,ball,and the starter. My barrel is a slow twist, so it prefers RB for best accuracy and commercial sabots are a little pricey and not as accurate for me. I came up with this solution to load faster and retain the accuracy of using RB. I found that the .451 RB boolits I cast for my 44 BP revolver were a press-fit in my rifle barrel, so I took some 45 sabots, cut off the petals, turned it upside down and had a cup to lightly glue in the ball . Now my "speed-loads" are easier to load and my accuracy was retained. Took a nine-pointer at 60 yds with one last month and the projectile I recovered from it showed good rifling all around. The speed-loaders I had were not as fast to reload as this is. Pre-measured powder in an old camera film case and one of these makes for quicker reloads for me. I can thumb-press this in without needing the starter. It may not work as well for you if your barrel is a little tighter or looser. Worth a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0399.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	57304

Boolit Master
    They sold those years ago. They called them the polly patch. Ron

Boolit Master

Good tip, thanks for sharing. I'm planning on something similar by using paper pulp to mold a wad cup and press the moisture out. Once it dries I figured to put a little lube on the wad.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Put it all in a 2 inch piece of 1/2 PVC with two caps and you have a speed loader.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Good tip, thanks for sharing. I'm planning on something similar by using paper pulp to mold a wad cup and press the moisture out. Once it dries I figured to put a little lube on the wad.
    I wonder if you made the pulp with some oil soap in it if that would be enough lube

that or put a lube cake under it

Banned
    I glue the cut sabot base to a .45 bullet and get the same effect. ( CVA PowerBelt ?) Interested now...

You could also convert to the Lee REAL bullets and leave the patches and sabots at home.
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 01-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DODGEM250 View Post
    I glue the cut sabot base to a .45 bullet and get the same effect. ( CVA PowerBelt ?) Interested now...

You could also convert to the Lee REAL bullets and leave the patches and sabots at home.
    Could you tell how?

Boolit Mold
    they, are like the knew federal shotgun loads. should shoot well at short distance. energy dropped offat around 75 yeards in 12 ga