Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: What if the gas checks can be picked off??

Boolit Buddy

What if the gas checks can be picked off??

I recently cast up several hundred of the RD165gr 30 cal bullets and installed gas checks with the lee sizer while sizing the bullets. I used some older copper checks that i believe were lyman checks. Even after going through the Lee sizer, you can pick the checks off with your fingernail. Is this gonna adversely affect accuracy??
    Really dont want to pick them all off and resize them using hornady checks unless it is absolutely necessary.
    Any thought??
    I will shoot these in a win 94 30-30. Could use them as my plinking load with Unique if need be.
    Thanks
    Jeff

not good if set below the shoulder neck junction , leaving me to suggest a dab of stupid glue
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Checks can be annealed therefore reducing the springback. I use a small length of metal pipe with end caps on both ends. Put your checks in the pipe with some newspaper. The newspaper burns and consumes the oxygen keeping the checks from getting scaly. Throw the pipe into the fireplace, charcoal grill, or other fire. Let the pipe stay in there until all is cooled. Fish out the pipe and you're good to go. I personally use my charcoal grill most of the time or occasionally my fire pit on my patio.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I would thing you do not want to overly tighten the caps ?...leave them loose so it does not burst ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eka View Post
    Checks can be annealed therefore reducing the springback. I use a small length of metal pipe with end caps on both ends. Put your checks in the pipe with some newspaper. The newspaper burns and consumes the oxygen keeping the checks from getting scaly. Throw the pipe into the fireplace, charcoal grill, or other fire. Let the pipe stay in there until all is cooled. Fish out the pipe and you're good to go. I personally use my charcoal grill most of the time or occasionally my fire pit on my patio.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

IF they are in fact the "old Lyman" checks they were not crimp on checks like the Hornady and will come off. I think the new Lyman checks are crimp on and are made for Lyman by Hornady.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I can pry my check off too. I've shot lots of these without any problems. Then I heard of a gas check coming off and hitting the chronograph screen and breaking it. Since then I've put a drop of super glue on before crimping them on.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

when I first started shooting and making alum. checks I had quite a few batches that didnt size on firmly and they shot just fine accuracy wise .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys!! Gonna use these for my low power plinking load for offhand practice!!
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Well for what it is worth, I have always worried about checks coming off when below the neck, but have not had any problem that I know of. I am a user of dac fill (ya know the warnings), and think that boolits with the check below the neck may rest on the dac and have always considered that as a factor. Possibly some others may have the same thoughts, or maybe not. Just my opinion.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying