WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Home Made BP Lube recipies?

Boolit Master
    Well,

Charlie your right of course I would of never known of this lube if it were not for this board. Thus is why I am trying to learn more. So far all the testing has been done in the wet east or there abouts. 50% humidity is no test of bullet lube in the BPCR.

As me being one of the sheep, haha I shoot a 45-110, and have done well with the cartridge that kicks too hard and fouls to badly to be competitive in a match, not one of the many 45-90 crowd so I dont think I fit in the sheep class.

What I am asking is testing under Real tough conditions low humidity under 15% and say 80 plus degrees. I sure would be intrested in that.

Kenny W.

Boolit Master

As I recall, the firing of 10 shots in less than 5 minutes generated substantial heat that afternoon and the non-usage of a blow tube or wiping stick was intended to simulate the dry conditions that KW is victimized by. Hot barrels from high rates of fire will rob moisture from most lubes and you will foul out due to lube failure. Now it would take a math wiz to sort out whose conditions created the hottest barrel in this case, but I am going to guess that 10 shots in 5 minutes without stopping would generate more heat than the casual rate of 18 in 30 minutes. Anyway, the point is that NASA lube was still so moist that the barrel was clean with a single patch.. No hard fouling, nada, zip, zero. The lube star on the muzzle was soft and could be wiped off with a patch. Lots of heat, no failure, no problem. Oh, and it produced a nice rapid fire group too.

SS

NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    SS,

you stated the Humidity at this test was 50%? Correct? and what was the ambient air Temp at this time? This is NO test of lube IMO, sorry. Your own statement that the lube star was soft proves this. With that Much RH in the air almost any lube will work. With out a blow tube, I have had RH's here on the rare occasion of about 45-50% you don't need to blow as the humidity is high enough to hydrate the fouling with out any other effort. HOT you prob got, DRY? nope.

With a 45-70 I can load and shoot just as fast As possible Only time I can foul that rifle out with any of 10 or so different lubes, that I have personally tested, is when air temps are over 85 and the humidity is below 15% most failed at 6 or 7% all lubes failed.

Some of the worst conditions I have ever shot in are Phoenix and here in Wyoming Or Raton. Phoenix this past week ago was 93 deg air temp, RH was around 6-7% No lube will pass the muster in this type of condition Period just blowing you can never get any moisture into the lube or the barrel it just gets too hot. The barrel screws got so hot they would burn your hand if you touched them. The very worst conditions I have shot in ever where on my own range, 106 degs RH of 6% everyone fouled only wiping between shots worked. This was at a Creedmoor match I held in 2005.

One shooter did use a wet towel from a ice chest to cool down his barrel and he actually could get off his record shots with just a blow tube and then recool the barrel after each string. We have all tried this barrel cooler method, it does work but you do have to have extra equipment and you drench the gun.

One of the worst tools to torture test any BP lube is the 45-110, this cartridge develops right at 3 times the chamber pressure a standard 45-70 BP load does, based on some testing done by MLV some years back with Dr Kieth Ohler's equipment.

I am not saying that this NASA lube wont work, what I have asked for is a real test of the lubes abilities in DRY Hot Conditions.

I keep pretty good records, over the years, some real interesting trends came out, My 45-110 would shoot very good groups and do well if I had a spring match often times the temps where on the cool side 40's to 50's Humidity was often 35-40% also. Quite high for Wyoming on avg but often the case in spring. So I would think that this load would be just the ticket for Raton.

Come the fall at Raton I would sometimes do well and other times foul out. I kept record of the good performances and the bad ones. The things that jumped out of my record keeping was two fold, did well at Raton if cool and humid, like after one of the big Thunder boomers had came though the night before. I would do well early in the morning at 800 and even 900, often by late afternoon it would be hot85 or so degs and Humidity had burned off to less then 30%. My Scores at 1000 often were very poor.

Learned a lot these past years about lubes and how well they work, much from Dan T and others, and what it takes to work well. When I switched to White Lighting was after a lot of seeing how well it worked for other shooters. Kick my self for not going to it a year earlier. The past 2 years my 1000 yard scores have not been beat by any other scope shooter at Raton, and only one or two of the top Iron sight shooters.

Does this NASA lube has any Bee's Wax in it? then it a less then optimum lube from what I have learned and seen this past 2 years.

Kenny Wasserburger

SS
    PS nice group at 100 yards a touch over 1.5 MOA?

All the lubes I have ever used-Tested will shoot that well at 100, Which is no test in my opinion, Try 300 or even 600 yards.

My own personal testing protocol is at 200 first then take the best loads at 200 and run em at 600 and 800 for long range. Often groups at 200 wont tell me a bit of difference in a load only at 600 does one see much difference. Things like a tendencey for some vertical stringing shows up at the longer distances. Fouling control-lube does pay a part at these ranges.

Lastly one other thing that contributes to the fouling's ability to hydrate is the quality of the powder, A very big deal. Goex Express is one such powder as is Swiss.

Bullshop, If NASA lube has NO Bee's Wax in it or say less then 25%, then I would be delighted to try some for testing and be glad to pay Shipping.

The mail addy is:

817 Glacier Drive
    Gillette, WY 82718

Kenny Wasserburger

Boz

To shoot the South Mississippi event, you must be a member of the Church of the Painful Truth chat site. They are a bunch of old farts over there and you have to pass muster to get in because the forum is closed. When you fill out the reason you want in, tell them that I'll vouch for you. No one gets in that we don't know because we have had some very destructive individuals there , all of whom have been thrown out, and now only people we know can get in. Pat Marlin is also a member over there as are Two Trees and Redd Foxy.

This year the shoot was held at a hunting camp near Richton, but next year it will be held at a hunting camp near Tylertown, MS. Both camps are located on rivers and camping space is available as is water and even shower facilities. Mostly they go for the food and fellowship and there are only about a half dozen serious shooters, but it is a lot of fun.

Looks like I moan hafta try me summa that Bullshop stuff.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master

Well I've sure enough learned many things the painful way, might even qualify for a PHD in that method. Plus at 60 I think that I can qualify as an old fart, or at least that is what my lesser experienced friends tell me (be 61 on Friday). Time flys when your having fun.
    I've got some NASA lube, still have to try it in the heat. I need to get to the range some day to try out some new bullets and some load variations, but this is my crunch time of year and work gets in the way. Might not have to worry about that much longer though, the FAA is doing there level best to legislate many of us out of business.
    My best shootin buddy just retired from Duke Energy and he calls me a couple times a week to let me know that he is headed to the range to practice. Thats all he needs, he usually kicks my butt anyway. I used to have a chance when he would test new loads on match day but now he does that during the week and brings the good stuff to the match.

Bob

I've got to agree with KWs experience in hot dry weather. I can use just about any lube until summer. Then the problems start. My 45-90 has a 34" barrel and the last 3 inches of that tube will foul like crazy when the heat goes up and the humidity goes down. I'm using WL right now and have been for three years. So far, it's the best I've tried. For a while, I had the bright idea of using a lube based on Mobil 1 and lanolin. The idea was that I would melt the lanolin and mix it with a small amount of water. I used some shaved Ivory soap to help emulsify the mess. I added some Mobil 1 and let it gel. It was too soft of course so I added some bee's wax. Now it worked great. I thought I had the cat's meow. Boy howdy did that stuff keep powder fouling soft. Then came August and disaster. The fouling came back. So, I used a blow tube, shot the rest of this lube in my Zouave and went back to WL. Then, since I was just shooting for me and not in comp, I went to duplex loads. You can still foul out with Dp loads but it's harder to do.

Any way, I've not tried NASA lube so I can't speak for or against it. I was just offering my $.02 for entertainment purposes.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Exclamation

I vote that this thread be a sticky.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345