Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home Made BP Lube recipies?

Home Made BP Lube recipies?

It goes against the very grain of my nature to buy bullet lube, so please give me some home made formulas that can be made with localy available stuff. (no steam cylinder or sperm whale oils).

I have lots and lots of beeswax, so lets keep it to a base of that sutff.

Thanks...

Boolit Buddy
    Well - 50/50 beeswax/olive oil, or peanut oil. Quite simple, and it works...

Boolit Master

I think Matthews recipe is 50-50 beeswax and vaseline, but since vaseline is petroleum based and that is not good with BP so I haven't used it personally. Junior1942 has a recipe on his site that I have used and it works fine. Bullshops NASA is the stuff as far as I am concerned.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Question

Darr suppose to be like SPG???

Buck Emmert's Lube Formula

1750 grains Beeswax
    1368 grains Crisco Shortening (White)
    328 grains Crisco or Wesson Vegatable Oil

This recipe makes 1/2 pound lubricant. If you tray lube as I do, you'll probably want to double the recipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Barry Darr #1 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
    Paraffin 50% Vasaline 50% old RCBS case lube 1 tbs per lb. of mix
    Notes:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Barry Darr #2 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
    Paraffin 50% Vasaline 50%
    Notes:
    Same as Barry Darr #1 but minus the RCBS case lube

Boolit Master

8oz beeswax, 6oz Safflower oil and 2oz Balistol. All measurements are by weight. I got this from this site some time ago. I think it was posted by Montanan or something like that. It works quite well but I'm using Bullshop's Nasa for convienience and it works good as well.
    The first time I tried the above formula I shot 10 rounds as fast as I could with no blow tubing or anything else. A dry patch went right down the bore without much trouble. My old lube would stop and the jag would be pushed through.
    The petroleum jelly mix doesn't seem to have the normal problems that are associated with petro and BP. It was the only lube that I used for years, but there are better things around now.
    There are lots of formulas out there and I'm sure that these fall into the "more than one way to skin a cat" category.

Bob

Boolit Master

Gregg, I'm glad you didn't muddy the water a little. I think that is more than I really wanted to know about lube.
    Seriously though are those all supposed to be BP lubes, some sound like they would be better suited to smokeless?

Bob

What I use in my trapdoors and Italian Sharps; 5 parts beeswax, 5 parts crisco, 1 part canola oil. Found it on the web one time and thought I'd try it. Does a great job for me especially with Swiss black powder in my 40/65. Almost the Emmerts formula but not quite.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

I'm begining to think 50% beeswax and 50% anything will work great, I have tried 50 beeswax, and crisco, olive oil, smaller amounts of lanolin, etc. its all good in my gun, very accurate as long its around half beeswax it seems.

Boolit Mold
    One pound bee's wax
    one pound citronella candle
    2 tablespoons shortening

Use the cheap candles that come in the bucket. They are usually about 3 to 5 % (5% is best) citronella oil. The shortening is to soften. Heat and mix, cool and test for texture. Want it softer, add more shortening etc. A great black powder cartridge lube. Makes a great patch lube as well. Pour or place lube on the patches, microwave, stir and micro again to make sure patches are well lubed.

All else fails, try 50/50 bee's wax and crisco (vegatable shortening) let cool after mixing and rub into patches.

Hud

Boolit Grand Master

I keep it simple with 5 parts beeswax/4 parts olive oil.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Chargar, here's a whole mess of them (historical and modern day) ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    One pound bee's wax
    one pound citronella candle
    2 tablespoons shortening

Use the cheap candles that come in the bucket. They are usually about 3 to 5 % (5% is best) citronella oil. The shortening is to soften. Heat and mix, cool and test for texture. Want it softer, add more shortening etc. A great black powder cartridge lube. Makes a great patch lube as well. Pour or place lube on the patches, microwave, stir and micro again to make sure patches are well lubed.

Hud
    I wonder if the citronella would help keep the skeeters away while I shoot....

G.

Boolit Buddy
    Olive oil/beeswax, add more wax in hot weather, more oil in cold weather.....added wintergreen oil once and some FDA Yellow to complete the Bore Butter experience, but why bother.....

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Gregg, I'm glad you didn't muddy the water a little. I think that is more than I really wanted to know about lube.
    Seriously though are those all supposed to be BP lubes, some sound like they would be better suited to smokeless?

Bob
    Your right got carried away . Just got looking on the net and started running into
    all these intresting lube ideas.

Somthing I have had NOT WORK for me is a Bees wax and crisco?
    50 50. Will work ok not great when fresh on the bullet BUT IF LOADED
    OVER TIME. Seems to lose its ablity to lube. like it spoils. Heavy on SPOILS.
    Has anyone else seen this?
    the Darr lube is suppose to be a BP lube but I have never tryed it. Read in a book
    by someone here they heard its SPG Lube??? Just looking
    don't see how it work well with BP being its not nateral oils.

Thanks boys for the great info.. I knew you guys would have some knowledge in this area.. charles

oh yes... you beeswax and olive oil boys.. How do you measure these parts with one being a solid and the other being a liquid?

Boolit Master
    Charles, I do not know where I got this from. I've got some slugs in a pan right now getting ready. It will be the first time to use it. Easy enough to make.

8 oz beeswax
    6 oz safflower oil
    2 oz Ballistol

Boolit Master

Right here Sundog, it was up about 8 months ago. That is the same lube that I put up, but not my recipe. It does seem to work quite well though.
    Make sure the wife isn't home when you make it up though, Balistol isn't the best smelling stuff in the world. My buddy is still catching grief from several months ago, especially when she found out he used some of her pots to make it up. My wifes smeller doesn't work to well so I can get away with it, and I have my own mixing equipment.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I use 1 part Crisco, plus 1 part Olive Oil, plus 1 part candle wax. It works good for me.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    safflower oil will go rancid like peanut oil in short order, so make enough to shoot and not to store for some time. When storing, figure out some way to wrap the lube up while still warm, say 110 degrees, and store in a coffee can with something that will fumigate the air within the can after closed. Mothballs? Don't know. Canola oil is perhaps the best compromise, probably, but the best would be safflower because it burns so clean. ... felix
    felix

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast