Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Makarov or CZ82

Boolit Buddy

Makarov or CZ82

Hey folks. I been looking at a couple of surplus pistols and wanted to get you all's opinion. I am stuck between the cz82 9mm Mak and the IJ70 Makarov. What do you feel is a better pistol? Thanks in advance

Tough call. I have shot the CZ and the 9X18 Mak. I know it is not a misurp but if the price is close I would look at a Bersa. My vote otherwise, is for the Cz.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

ADMIN

Re: Makarov or CZ82

Look at the available of mags in your decision. i would recommend getting a min of 5 mags total. Yes i know it isn't a high cap gun but later on you might have issues getting one if one fails or gets lost
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I've owned two MAK's and prefer them to any of the others. The Bersa is a very nice pistol, but the 9x18 is a stouter round than the .380ACP.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

ADMIN

Re: Makarov or CZ82

I own 5 makarovs
    3 east German and 2 Bulgarian
    I have about 40 mags total.
    Bought them when they were 2 bucks each.
    The 9x18 round is a very powerful round for what it is. I think i even saw a box at walmart recently.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I prefer the CZ82, it is a much nicer gun in my opinion. When I shot the CZ and Makarov (Bulgarian) side by side, the Mak was not as comfortable in my hand. Neither had any issues in my limited testing. If mags are going to be the deciding factor, the Mak's are probably a bit easier to find. The CZ holds more rounds but the mags are around 30 bucks last I checked. I'd buy another CZ in a heartbeat.

I currently have a CZ-82 and really love it. I did have a Bulgarian Mak, and really loved it as well.

The CZ is my current CCW weapon. The triggers on those things are fabulous. I bought my in "good" condition from J G Sales (ie, pretty rough cosmetic shape). It's a perfect weapon for this application. Small, large enough capacity, and a great shooter. I replaced the springs with some from Wolff and it cut down on that "sharp" recoil the 9x18 compacts can have.

Dollar for dollar, I think I'd go with the CZ. IMO, better trigger, higher capacity. Not that their's anything wrong with a Mak. My Bulgarian had a better overall finish and really was slick little auto.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Banner Sponsor

I have an East German and a Russian Mak. The East German one is a great gun, very smooth and 100% reliable. I liked it so much that I traded off my Walther.

CZ that I have owned are well crafted - I do have a Russian Mak and it has been very reliable.

Boolit Master

Its been awhile since I had my CZ83 (380 version) and couple Chinese Makarovs at the same time. Trigger on the CZ was better and higher mag cap. For IWB the Mak might be prefered as there is less printing to the thicker grip. The thicker grip of the CZ will would distrubt the recoil more in the hand however. Both reliable guns and shooters choice.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd take the CZ over a Makarov, though I think either is acceptable. I prefer the feel and generally better trigger of the CZ-82. The chinese Mak Copies were pretty poor, period. The East German and Bulgarian were the nicest that I saw. The safety on the CZ is IME preferable to the one on the Makarov as well as the push button Mag Release of the CZ over the heel-clip retainer of The Makarov. One other gun which I think highly of is the FEG PA-63, more or less a clone of the Walther PP, they have been excellent buys and surprisingly accurate, if you can fight through the typically rough trigger.

However, given the surge in popularity of the .380 the last few years, I'd be inclined to look at a CZ-83 or an AP9 over a 9x18, simply because ammo is more widely available. But any of the above could be a reasonably priced lifesaver, especially if money is an object (and when is it not?)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Bulgarian and a Russian Civilian Mak and a CZ82. I carry and shoot the CZ.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    20-year owner of an East German Makarov, and like Lar's example its excellence prompted me to sell off my 380s and get out of the caliber entirely--dies and all. The CZ-82 and -83 are fine pistols, but their 9mm Mak barrels have polygonal rifling form--dunno if that's an issue for you or not.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have handled both and the CZ82 is the most comfortable in my hand of any handgun I have ever held!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I am a big fan of CZ grips, they work for me. Haven't owned an 82, but do own a CZ-75 clone and it's great. I owned a Bulgarian Mak and it was one of the first guns I sold off when I needed some cash. Good cheap simple pistol, but just not that great overall.

Bulldogger

Boolit Bub
    My vote is for the CZ82, very comfortable and accurate. The only downfall is the $30-$35 mags when you can find them