Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S&B brand primers BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

Boolit Mold
    I have been using S&B primers in all metallic sizes for about 4 years. I have not had one misfire after thousands of rounds. I use a Lyman Hand Primer for both the large and small sizes, pistol and rifle. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Ill take em

Boolit Master
    Quote from the original post follows

The S&B primers have been frustrating to load. So far I haven't had any to the range so I can't speak on their reliability. I can't get the S&B's to operate without constant jams in my Lock'N'Load set-up. The slider constantly sticks.

End quote.

This seems to be an unnecessary thread. The complaint is not about accuracy or ignition. It is about a primer feed device. It is up to the design engineer to make his primer feed contraption work. There is no way the primer design guys are going to modify their primers for every bird brained primer feed design.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Ive used a thousand or do and havent had any problems with them.
    Funny isnt it.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    As the original poster of this thread I can assure you I take no offense. Your shared experience and opinion is appreciated.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Ive used a thousand or do and havent had any problems with them.
    Funny isnt it.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    We get it!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Over my casting and loading career I have had very few issues with any brand of primer. And those have been with fit. I have had no issues with CCI and they are my favorite. In 10's of thousands of loads I remember maybe 2 mis-fires. Breaking those loads down showed a primer missing an anvil and another missing the compound. I'm surprised I missed seeing it! I don't remember the brands except that they were not CCI.

Boolit Mold
    The S&B primers are my favorite. I use only the Large rifle and Large rifle magnum. I have not destroyed a single primer yet and have gone through about 5k of them without a single misfire. I still have about 12k left. definitely my favorite. The primers I hate are Federal. those I crush during loading. They only load into Federal brass. They are .001 larger than other primers. same as if when you try to use other brand primers such as Winchester in Federal brass. They fall out. Otherwise my second most favorite are Winchester and third are CCI.

I have used thousands of the S&B primers without incident. Last ones I bought were $22.00/1000. I’ll take that all day long. Can’t seem to,find them any more, though.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Thread resurrection!

Didn’t we stop importing s&b primers a couple years ago? I bought a lot of them when Cabelas had them cheap during the holidays.

Boolit Master
    I know in my area I haven’t been able to find any S&b primers for over a year or two. They where always cheeper than any other brand . They always work great for me. Yes some where tight in some brass but the 1,000s if them I loaded they all worked

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Thread resurrection!

Didn’t we stop importing s&b primers a couple years ago? I bought a lot of them when Cabelas had them cheap during the holidays.
    Yes they fell under the Obama ban on specific Russian items for import.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-13-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I’m surprised to see this thread still alive nearly 8 years after I opened it. I can honestly say after likely shooting all the S&B primers up. I can’t recall any primer related duds and the problem is most likely my Lock N Load’s slider. I also had a similar problem to a lesser degree with small rifle Tulamo brand.

Banned

I've been using them quite often since the Obamascare when they showed up at my local Cabelas. No problems here!

Boolit Bub
    I used an aged Pacific/Hornady progressive press (the forerunner of the Lock-N-Load) to load for several different pistol cartridges with different makes of primer and I found that the priming arm that swings out to collect the primer from the tube has to be adjusted absolutely perfectly each time or it won't cooperate. It was by far the longest part of the set-up procedure when switching calibres but when set up right it works like a dream.
    My nephew has the loader at the moment but won't use it because he doesn't have the patience to set up the priming system and gets frustrated by the glitches.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    [QUOTE=escard;1988441]Sellier & Bellot uses significantly smaller dimensioned primer pockets - this is also the reason for the mess while seating some of the "classic" primers (Winchester, Remington, cci, Federal ....).

The primers of the S&B brand may have the right dimensions for their company´s brass, but not for brass of "the rest of the world".[/QUOTE

I've been watching the pro and con discussions on S&B primer pockets for years now, and it makes me wonder.........is S&B aware of their reputation in the reloading community? You'd think after the number of gripes and complaints they'd modify their primer machinery to match everyone else!

The only primer experience I've had was with CCI's a number of years ago. I inherited a box of 1000 and ALL of them were extremely tight, requiring quite a bit of priming force. I finally got out the mike and found they were close to .002 too big! Now, this box is quite old....it's in the old black and white format used in the sixties, so it's possible that CCI was still cutting their teeth on primer manufacture. I labeled the box "oversize" and stashed it away for emergency use. I remember the Obama years..........

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    As much trouble as I've had crushing primers while trying to seat them in S&B brass this doesn't surprise me. I try to cull all S&B into the scrap brass bin before it gets to the press. The red primer sealer makes it easier to cull them.

David
    I have been reloading 38 Special and I have had several high primers which had to be thoroughly crushed rofit in the hole. S&B are the only commercial brass to do that to me. I have also had that happen with FC57 and FC58 military brass. I thought I had uniformed all of the FC GI primer pockets many years ago. I wonder if these ones are new to me or left over from back then.

I've used thousands of S&B small rifle primers and they worked perfectly. Fed them through a Dillon 1050 with auto drive and they were just fine.

I would buy s&b primers again, I bought 10k and have used them in a Dillon 650, rcbs hand prime tool and Lyman ideal 310 tong tools, never an issue.

Boolit Master
    Fit fine for me, go bang with great consistency. Wish Cabela’s would bring them back at $20/k or less.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a couple thousand S&B SRP on clearance at Cabelas a couple years ago for $18 a brick. I have not shot all of them, but no issues with them so far. With that said, it’s about impossible to find any primers now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast