Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

View Poll Results: how many different kinds of lube do you use?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll

87 38.50%

79 34.96%

44 19.47%

10 4.42%
  • 5+

6 2.65%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many kinds of bullet lube do you user on aregular basis?

Moderator Emeritus

I've got way too many lubes laying around.
    I've cooked some myself,
    got some samples from other members,
    and bought some from every vendor in our house.

I really got to consider narrowing my field.
    I really like the Lotak (soft) for small rifle calibers (below 30 cal.).
    I'm torn between randyrat's Tak #1 and Carnuba Red for Magnum pistol.
    I use whatever is handy for low-power revolver pistol...and I have alot laying around.
    I haven't shot enough larger caliber rifle (above 30 cal.) to come to any conclusion there,
    downloaded rifle gets the 45-45-10 TL
    Plinking semi-auto pistol also get 45-45-10 TL

Oh, I got some 6.5 boolits for my Jap 38 that are sized and lubed with fryboy's FWWFL ??? that needs some testing
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

ummm gee .... i have a few sizers ( 7-8 ?? )...all loaded with different lubes and a couple of lubes i use that never see a lubrasizer ( my version of pearl lube + and recluse's recipe as well as my soon to be mourned rooster jacket ) worse ...i'm a lube groove junky , the aspect of making it myself/mad scientist is very appealing to me and i have yet to re-create my holy grail , of the many lubes in my sizers ( currently ) only one will not be refilled when gone , still worse there are several brands of lube that i havent tried that i long to ( did i mention i'm a lube groove junky ? lolz ) i also tend to test lube against each other which while making for a bit of shooting isnt a very hurried proposition as true testing needs at least a year in my varying climatic extremes to even honestly test ,one thing is certain however and that is lube that doesnt fulfill my hopes makes great flux and i doubt if i'll ever run out of that :P in fact i should start mixing it with sawdust and become a vendor sponsor ( but of the many things i am a salesman isnt one of them and i can admit that ) i've found that for less demanding applications it's really hard to note much difference yet i also realize we all have our likes and dislikes , many like/love alox lubes for but one example yet i detest the smell even tho the majority of alox lubes work well , i didnt like LLA just for that reason yet recluse's recipe cut that aroma down to a more manageable level ,my final conclusion is that if you like it and it works for you - great !! i be happy for you !! if not ...well start a thread and and we can discuss it and other options

jon , try that FWWFL with some lil bitty boolits that dont seem to have very big lube grooves ! ( like the 225-415 ) i've ran it to max velocities with no problems ( ummm everything else being right of course ) groups tend to open up a bit when you pass the sweet spot , and so far even in my 26" bbl it seems to lube enough all the way down the pipe ( not much of a lube star on that one tho lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Jake's Ceresin Red for my milsurps and 'modern' CF rifles, 45/45/10 for handgun calibers, and Emmert's Lube for my BPCRs.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

fry,
    Did I get all the letters right on the FWWFL ?
    that 6.5 boolit has the tinyiest lube grooves...but there is 3 of them.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I load 14 calibres and use Lee Liquid Alox for all my cast bullets, (tumble lubed twice) and never have leading problems.
    ukrifleman.

BAC
    But, I bought several sticks of carnauba red to try out.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Only 1 Here.
    I started with NRA 50/50 some 50 years ago and haven`t needed to change.
    It is getting the job done in all my applications.....dale

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    fry,
    Did I get all the letters right on the FWWFL ?
    that 6.5 boolit has the tinyiest lube grooves...but there is 3 of them.
    Jon
    purty sure ... the original was listed as FWFL ( felix world famous lube ) the FWWFL is an adaptation by wilgen , not sure off the top of my head if the original had carnuba and lanolin but my version does and wilgen's assuredly has lanolin , on a brite note felix himself has stated that the recipe can be switched up a bit and still work great ( one case in point is different oils such as jojoba etc ) i havent tried too many variations of it besides the original and the FWWFL version but they've all seemed to work great ( and the odor isnt bad - a big plus for me )

ahh 6.5 ... i finally got a few gas checks and only a sizing die stands in my way atm ( but i kind of have a few other more important to me projects going on :P )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I've been the tumble lube straight Alox route then onto the 45-45-10 Recluse TL'in followed by several commercial lubes. Then White Label Lubes came next (BAC's my favorite) and now onto the homemade. My go to and has been good to me in the cold and hot of Kansas extremes is a mixture of Lucas White Lithium Grease, Beeswax and a touch of STP. Soft, yet firm and works for low pressure handgunning and on up to the high end 454 Casull rounds and upper end 375 H&H loads. I've tried to cover the temp swings and application needs and I think I'm there or close to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Two.
    Mostly BAC

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

How many kinds of bullet lube do you user on aregular basis?

45/45/10 & 2500+
    But to be fair I just started using a lubrisizer. I haven't found a need to use any other lube yet.

Boolit Master

For several years now ive been using Carnuba red in one L/S for most HG cast bullets and LBT commercial for magnum velocity HG loads or rifle loads in the other L/S at least until i run out of LBT lube someday ?

I try to stick with just one myself but thats because I hate cleaning out my lyman.

Banned

Felix, nuff said?

Boolit Master
    Carnuba Red currently works for every boolet I load. Plus, I only have one lubrisizer, too!

Winelover

Boolit Buddy

Jake's Ceresin Purple for cartidges and tallow for BP, works for me.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    Lars White label products work for me. Carnauba Red for the .44 mags and Lars 50/50 for the rifles. I've got 4 lubers and have 2 ea dedicated to each lube.
    I've used lots of different lubes down thru the years and there are some great ones out there such as WFFL(World Famous Felix Lube), but I just don't have the desire to make my own. I just hate sticky hands and even hate to re-charge my lubers!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

White Label 50/50.......on occasion I'll tumble lube a particular bullet in LLA.... AFTER sizing and lubing them in the luber first..this is for my 44mag...

Boolit Master

I use two...... a heated 450 loaded with a hard red lube (used to be Rooster Red but now Carnuba Red) for rifle and magnum pistol, and an old Lyman 45 with an NRA 50/50 equivalent lube for everything else.

Banned

-One lyman 45 with pretty purple colored MML- I do 95% of what I do with this lube...this includes loads from 1k to 3K

-One lyman 45 with turd brown colored MML modded for warm weather...have not pulled the handle on this press for over 6months.

-Lee liquid earwax+ mica for low velocity plinkers and catsneeze loads

-Soon I will have a Star sizer up and running and it too will use MML...have the press and it is loaded with MML...just waiting on some cash for an order to Lathesmith for some dies.

I have tried over 3 notebooks full of lube recipes.......NONE OF THEM GAVE ME LEADING......some were alot more accurate than others however.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast