Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Mountain Barrel?

Green Mountain Barrel?

I have been thinking about getting a 1in28 twist Green Mountain Barrel for my T/C Hawken.What I plan to do is try the Lee 320grn. R.E.A.L. Boolit in it.Has any one tried this?Could it work out or does'nt it have a chance?Also are these good barrels for the money?Money is tight the cost of one is about all I have at this time.Not sure if I'm going the rite way for accuracy or not.Thanks for any help you may have.

Boolit Master
    I have seen two early T/C Hawkens with the "drop in barrel" and both had the 1/18 twist, .451, 32 inch barrel and shot nearly as good as the Pedersoli Gibbs that seems to be winning all those very long range muzzle loader matches. I think both also had different triggers but I won't swear to that.

Boolit Master

I use quite a few GM barrels, ( I'm a dealer for them). They shoot as good as any top quality barrel. I have not tried the fast twist muzzle loading drop in barrel but I believe it will do fine.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a 38-40 barrel to rebarrel my Taurus Thunderbolt from 45LC to 38-40. Everyone I talked to said good things about them.

John, had I known you were a dealer I would have ordered it through you. Next time.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Mold
    I have ordered various barrels from GM, they were pretty good and cheap.

Well it sounds like I may be on the rite track here.Thanks for all the info.I also have been looking at triggers and some new hardware for it.But for now I will get the barrel.

Perm-Banned
    do as idaho ron does paperpatch it, it would have alot of power and could be a tackdriver

Boolit Master

I have a 1/18 barrel in 45 on a Renagade. I have been playing with the Lyman 439-186 pure lead pp with a felt wad 85 grns of ffg. With the "issue" sights I am getting 4 inches at 100. I need to get a peep to see what it will do.
    The Lyman 451- 114 is tight in it.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Just read a post by idahoron gotta try the paper patch one day soon.I also need to get a good set of sights.I have a scope mount and scope for it.I would rather try a good peep however.I'm really starting to like this rifle.

Perm-Banned
    to dirt farmer: get some 550 grain pure lead swagged .441 pp bullets from buffalo arms and use 2 wrapps of number nine paper, if your .45 is a standard .450 top of lands and .458 bottom of grooves also try them with out the felt wad at first. use a .60 fiber wad between powder and bullet. they are available at buffalo arms also. try at least 100 grains of 2f black. i bet you will get a lot better groups. i use a 620 grain .440 pure lead bullet in my barrel that i put on my renagade. i use 110 of 2f goex black in back of the bullet. also i do like the old timers in the old days, i slit the paper along the diagonal line about 3/4 of the way down through both layers.i put the paper on dry and opposite the twist of the barrel. that gun will keep holes about touching at 100 yards. i graphite powder is a very good patch lube. a 1/18 .45 on a renagade can turn that renagade into the same thing as a 45/110 or 45/120 sharps and i believe made to shoot more accurate than the sharps. just a few suggestions i found that worked real well.

Boolit Master
    Can a guy get a drop in Lyman gpr barrel in 54cal 1-28 twist from Green Mountain? & if so (about) what would be the cost?

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    I just ordered a 38-40 barrel to rebarrel my Taurus Thunderbolt from 45LC to 38-40. Everyone I talked to said good things about them.

John, had I known you were a dealer I would have ordered it through you. Next time.
    There's not a lot of markup on the barrels, best to order direct and cut out the middle man. I use enough to get a dealer discount.

Boolit Master

Johnson, I have those plus a few others swadged by one of the shooters I shoot with for my Gibbs and Volenteer. What I am working on is a muzzle loading varation of the "bean field rifle". I am trying to get a flater trajectory with a lighter slug and slightly more areodymic shape. I had to go to a felt wad with a card wad under it to save the patch with 80 grns. Most of the powder above that is wasted as shooting over snow has showen. If I can get the results I want, even though I have been told it is a bad idea on many fronts I still want to build a flinter for the same use. A platium flash hole liner would solve the burn out problem but the jet from the liner would preclude any one standing anywhere to the right of me.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Johnson, I have those plus a few others swadged by one of the shooters I shoot with for my Gibbs and Volenteer. What I am working on is a muzzle loading varation of the "bean field rifle". I am trying to get a flater trajectory with a lighter slug and slightly more areodymic shape. I had to go to a felt wad with a card wad under it to save the patch with 80 grns. Most of the powder above that is wasted as shooting over snow has showen. If I can get the results I want, even though I have been told it is a bad idea on many fronts I still want to build a flinter for the same use. A platium flash hole liner would solve the burn out problem but the jet from the liner would preclude any one standing anywhere to the right of me.
    If I was looking to build a critter like that, I would be looking at a .36-.38 caliber.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perm-Banned
    they say your still young in mind if you still have goals and dreams. well i wish i had a budget to match my dreams. i think it would be really fun to go to the range where a lot of shooters are blowing smoke down range with their bpcrifles in all the cal. they have and all the loads they have and; show up with a muzzleloader flinter 36 inch barrel 1/18 twist .450 top of lands .457 or .458 bottom of grooves,load her up with a 550 paper patched bullet and do better than any of them. i know it is possible, the science is on the flinters side. they have a barrel hanging on a small action. a flinter half stock is bedded into a stock. their bullets jump into a barrel, a flinter would have a bullet set in the barrel on powder. i could go on and on, all it takes is time and money and the will to do it. dirt farmer, as far as not useing up all the powder i put in my guns i havent had that problem. a while back i posed about venting a compustion chamber and most didnt recieve it well ,however it works. i drill a 1/32 hole in the back of my combustion chamber to the right at about a 45 degree angle. this plus a magspark 209 conversion nipple burns all the powder i use. the barrels are a lot easier to clean between shots and my accracy is as good as it can get. also dirt farmer if your paperpatched gun is a .450 top of lands give me your address on the private message thing on this site and i will send you some 400 grain pp wrapped bullets i have swagged up along with my own wads and you can try them and see how they work. my bullet swagged design has a deeper cup in back and the kieth flat nose has proven very accurate. the bearing surface is longer also to better grip the bore. if they work better for you you could make a mould like them or send me a couple hundred 400 grain pure lead bullets that would fit my .440 swageing die and i would run them through and reshape them. also i would like to see some one test a precussion against a flinter of the same cal and barrel length and load to see which one burns the cleanest, my money is on the flinter. i wouldnt be supprised if the flinter didnt get some what tighter groups. never give up your dreams, now that im retired i can be a boy again.

Boolit Master

Waksupi the durned state laws get in the way. If I was shooting a sabot or cartridge gun, I could use a .357 diamiter but a muzzle loader has to use a 45.

I was talking to some of the DNR types and ask why I could not use a 28 ga trade gun for turkeys, their answer was 3/4 oz of shot is not enough. I tried to explain but education only goes so far.

Boolit Master

Johnson PM sent

Boolit Master
    Can a guy get a drop in Lyman gpr barrel in 54cal 1-28 twist from Green Mountain? & if so (about) what would be the cost?
    Not from Green Mtn. Their drop-ins are primarily made to fit T/C side hammer models only. But Track of the Wolf does have a supply of drop-in barrels to fit the Lyman Great Plains models. 1-32 twist can be had. Which is considered a quick twist rate for the 54 cal. Price: $300.00~spendy but ~~ I paid 274.00 for my G/M quick-twist a few years back. So Tracks price is in the ball park so to speak.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie56 View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a 1in28 twist Green Mountain Barrel for my T/C Hawken.What I plan to do is try the Lee 320grn. R.E.A.L. Boolit in it.Has any one tried this?Could it work out or does'nt it have a chance?Also are these good barrels for the money?Money is tight the cost of one is about all I have at this time.Not sure if I'm going the rite way for accuracy or not.Thanks for any help you may have.
    Talking & listening here is great. But if you are serious you might check with GM pronto. They have quit the ML barrel business and have little stock. Even Track has few left.

BvT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast