Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Barrel threading in Michigan?

Boolit Master

Barrel threading in Michigan?

I'm waiting on a suppressor for 22 rimfire. The dealer said the ATF is taking about 6 months to process paperwork, so I've got some time. I've got a bull barrel Ruger MK2 as well as a Romanian trainer that I want to have threaded. Anyone know of a reputable shop in Michigan that would like to do this work? I was thinking of keeping it in state because of shipping firearms, but maybe it would be better to send them off to have the work done if no one in MI can do it. Any members here have experience threading barrels?

Boolit Master

Brownells sells dies and die guides that will allow you to do it at home. Be sure to use a good cutting fluid if you go this route.

I don't have experience in doing it but have had several done.
    http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/ if shipping out.
    http://hooperordnance.com/page1.aspx
    http://www.accurateordnance.com/
    www.jpgrips.com is closer as in MN
    another is
    Hipes Consulting Services Llc
    3809 Nutwood Ln
    Plano, TX. 75074
    (214) 739-5941
    another is
    Mike Klos
    The Gun Shop
    www.newmellegunshop.com
    American Manufacturing
    www.amermfg.com
    4648 Hwy Z
    Wentzville MO 63385
    ezgeo1@gmail.com

There are others that do good work for silencer owners but the problem becomes wait times
    places like www.tornado-technologies.com have long backlogs - the ones I have listed should be shorter wait times.

Technically any good machine shop that can hold tolerances can do it, but not are comfortable doing the work.
    http://www.silencertalk.com/AAC-thread-guide.pdf

You might check some some of the dealers in your state to see if they have a shop they recommend
    http://www.silencerforum.com/71-michigan.html

Boolit Master

I do them quite often and make thread protectors for when the brake, flash hider or suppressor is not being used. There are several different size threads that different companies use. Most common for a 22 would be 1/2X28

Boolit Grand Master

I can do it too.

You don't want to do this with a die. Just a little out of alignment, and you could get a baffle strike that would ruin your whole day. Most machine shops will just mount it with a live center in the bore and hold the rear of the barrel in a collet closer on the threads. This will get you closer, but it's still not right. You need to take it to a gunsmith (one that has experience cutting threads for suppressors) and get him to do it for you. He will use range rods to align the last 4" of your barrel perfectly strait, and cut the threads on that center-line so that the projectile will fly strait through the suppressor.

Surely you can find a quality gunsmith in the grand state of Michigan (hell I think there are 5 down here within 20 minutes drive of my shop, although I would only recommend three of them, myself included, for this type of work.)
    The thing is, sometimes gunsmiths like to keep a low profile so they are not bombarded by waco's. They are an eccentric sort. So go to the most reputable places to buy guns, (especially if they sell used guns) and ask the most experienced guy behind the counter, who he recommends as a local gunsmith.

Call up and meet whoever they say is a good smith, and see if you feel comfortable with him. If you have a guy right down the street that does quality work, that is a relationship you want to foster.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Tim makes a good point some of the best kept secrets are good smith's - you have to know someone who knows them to get in the door sometimes. But they can do amazing work. I once used a retired NASA Aerospace machinist who just hobby'd at it but produced some unique weapons for those he liked - he didn't like standard fare but if you wanted a double barreled 45-70 or 22 LR or 44 Special PPC revolver you were in luck.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Your gonna want to go about 4.5" on the Mark II if you would like to use the bulk ammo and remain subsonic. I think I went 4.75" on mine and some bulk ammo on some days is a bit snappy. Overall though it makes shooting the pistol a lot more fun . Also for the total cost involved you might have a look at the Tactical Solutions Pac-lite uppers.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ta...series-pistols
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I can do it too.

You don't want to do this with a die. Just a little out of alignment, and you could get a baffle strike that would ruin your whole day.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

He will use range rods to align the last 4" of your barrel perfectly strait, and cut the threads on that center-line
    Please forgive my ignorance. What is a range rod & how is it used?

Thanks,
    Jim
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I use what are called "gage pins" to indicate in a rifle or pistol barrel(on the left side of the headstock), they come in .001 and .0005 increments...and in +.0002 and - .0002 variations of those two sets giving you a pin for every .0002 or so. For the right side, where we are turning and threading, and or crowning I indicate the lands directly.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    I can do it too.

You don't want to do this with a die. Just a little out of alignment, and you could get a baffle strike that would ruin your whole day. Most machine shops will just mount it with a live center in the bore and hold the rear of the barrel in a collet closer on the threads. This will get you closer, but it's still not right. You need to take it to a gunsmith (one that has experience cutting threads for suppressors) and get him to do it for you. He will use range rods to align the last 4" of your barrel perfectly strait, and cut the threads on that center-line so that the projectile will fly strait through the suppressor.
    SO VERY TRUE!! It happened to a close friend of mine on his AR!!
    He just screwed it on without any thought to it(standard1/2"-28 threads) Very Expen$ive mistake!

Boolit Buddy
    D & D Gunsmiths Ltd. (248) 583-1512 Troy MI....custom barrel work is our speciality...40yrs

I had my 18" AR barrel done by; Ballistic Innovations, in Fenton Mi. 810-955-8098. price was $30, turn around time was less than a week. I am about to have him pin and weld my new 14.5" AR to make it 16" for the same price.

Boolit Buddy
    historidfirearms ,
    I'm located in Metro Detroit and have a full service gunsmithing machine shop on premisis. I do this daily and would be glad to help. Contact me here on this forum or by e-mail @ mansuetojohn!@yahoo.com

In Remembrance

William`s Gunsite in Davison, Mi.Robert

Boolit Master
    Bill Hammers is in michigan I believe, He is one hell of a palma rifle builder, he could do it.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy

historicfirearms here is a place that I would try. I have had a lot of work done there. They are a no B.S. shop and are really on top of there game. And no they are no relation to Williams of Williams Gunsite in Davison Mi. The name is "Dick Williams Gun Shop, Inc" 4985 Cole Rd. Saginaw, Mi. 48601

I am in no way associated with them other than being a satisfied customer several times over. I drive 50+ miles to get to there place and skip over several "Big Name Gunshop" that are much closer. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,