Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Fastest way to cure LLA?

Boolit Master

Fastest way to cure LLA?

When I use LLA I figure the boolits will need to sit for several days before they're dry enough to load. They sit on waxed paper in my basement, where I do my loading. I stir them once/day.
    Any way to speed this up? Fan maybe? Or a heatlamp?

Banned

Talking

Leave it in the bottle!

Boolit Master

Smile

I set them on wax paper over night and load them the next day. I've read on here of some one using a hair dryer to hurry the curing. I wonder what he uses to cure the bruises he gets from his wife!?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I use magazine covers or sleek/slick ad pages from the newspaper. Just spread the bullets out on the paper/pages and put a fan a foot or two away and blowing on them. They'll be loadable in an hour.

And there you have it: If you like LLA (or anything else), you find ways to make it work; If you don't like it (which is your right), you are more aware of its faults and shortcomings. I like the Lee system because it's cheap and easy. I tried the lubrisizers three time; I hated the time I spent setting them up, changing dies and top punches, and making adjustments. The Lee way just seems (to me) so much simpler. If the Allox became a problem to me (and it hasn't yet), I'd pan lube and Lee size. I'm sure the people who use lubrisizers feel just as strongly about their choice. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just saying make your choice, or try both ways, then make your choice and have fun.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Wax paper? Nothing but paper coated with castor wax. If you would like that feel on the boolits, then you know what you have to do. Try scraping that stuff off the paper. Also, try different solvents. Should give you an idea or two of what would happen if you shot boolits coated with the stuff. ... felix
    felix

44woody

alox lubeing

I do a lot of alox lubeing I put the bullets on a cookie sheet and let dry over night the next day they are ready to load I also took a plastic bullet tray and sanded the bottom off of it fill with bullets that are lubed and they don't touch each other on the tray and are lined up nice and neat 44Woody

Boolit Master

LLA all the way. I like to have a good thousand cast and lubed ahead of time so i never worrie about drying time. But i would think a hair dryer would work great. I also like to let my cast boolits rest for a couple weeks before i even test them. I remember when i got my first sizer die from lee i had a heck of a time waiting till the LLA was dry , couldn't wait to load those babies up.

I found that I can seat the checks easier if I stand the bullets on their bases. Then I don't usually have to fight the checks to go on.
    VERY time consuming, do it with bent surgical tweezers. I put mine on wax paper, on a cookie sheet or such, then set then on the dash of my truck if I need them in a hurry. But, I live in southern Az, and right now on my carport, in the shade, it's 110*. When it's warm, I can put them out in the morning and by 9pm, they're ready to load. Baked-on enamel....
    Jon H aka sledge
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

the 30 minute greenhouse effect lla drying machines:
    Inisde your car or truck on a sunny day. crack window and come back in 30 it will be cured.

last winter i used ons of the clear plastic cake covers a flat grocery store birthday cake came under. worked very well, then it warmed up here and i fried the black plastic base with the some 44 240g bullets on it. base looked like it had been blowtorched, bullets were too hot to touch comfortably.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I set it out in the hot sun on wax paper on a black cast iron cookie sheet. Dry within an hour- though you have to let it cool to room temp to realize this as the heat itself makes it a bit gummy- though it does still cling tenaciously as Lee claims.

I've taken to crimping without lubing. With hard cast bullets I've not seen any leading in the die; then I do a final rol in LLA.

That said I use both LLA and a lubesizer. Depends on the application. I think both have their merits and weaknesses. Most pistol rounds get tumble lubed. Most rifle bullets (unless of tumble lube design) go through the lubesizer.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you are putting it on to heavy or need to thin it a little with spirits. Also the basement usually is higher in humidity then rest of the house so it will take longer.

Boolit Master
    I blew a fan across them and they were dry in hours. Thanks everyone.
    I've already been shooting them!

Banned

Im with him. I just dump it in a batch of real lube to use it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Leave it in the bottle!

I set out a box of bullets, base down, on a zip-lock bag and the LLA was dry in less than 2 hours...must be all the hot air blowing around!

All this talk about wax paper! If you use HD Aluminum foil, you can pick up 300+ boolits and funnel them into wife's tupperware for storage. Then fold and reuse the foil later.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."