RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Almost 45/70

Ok guys, we're back on track here. My LEE 459-405 HB showed up yesterday in the mail. I scrubbed it nice and clean this evening and looked it over pretty well. There are 2 tiny burrs on the edge of the sprue plate that I need to clean up. After that I will give it a sparing lube job and make some boolits. At this time I have no sizing die but I don't think I will need one. I do have brass ordered from Buffalo Arms but it is back ordered, so I will follow Chicken Thief's, and others' advice and use some 45-70 brass for now. Have been thinking of using 20:1 alloy, but will probably start with some 70- WW + 30- pure lead (+ a bit of tin) because that's what I have made up right now. JW

Boolit Master

GREAT, let us know how all this works out for you
    My 11.7 is a very good shooter with 457483 and a Hornady
    gas check.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    CDOC, thanks for posting this. I am the guilty individual with this rifle and appreciate everyone's input on it. As Crusty said it is an exceptional rifle having been cared for very well over it's long career. This rifle was a wedding gift to my wife and I from her uncle. He was a packer/outfitter for many years in the state of Idaho. His lodge/headquarters was at the confluence of the North Fork and Little North Fork Clearwater River, now under the water of Dworshack Reservoir. The rifle means a great deal to my wife and I but not as a wallhanger. It is in such fine shape and has so much character it just needs to keep on working in our opinions. Hence this search. I am sure I can reform .348 brass, I just need to get the proper dies from Buffalo Arms and then start casting and loading for it. A few yrs back I did slug the barrel and it measured right at .458 if I remember correctly. Still have the slug so I just gotta find it and confirm. I know for a fact that mine likes to split the 45-70 brass so not gonna use it, I will reform. I may order those dies for my birthday and start in on it. I know that you guys on this site are a wealth of information so now is probably a good time to get going on it. Thanks all for the input. JW
    you may wish to call dave at CH4D they will have your dies and maybe as cheap as you can get them anywhere quick guess is they would be in the 83 dollar group.try this--http://www.ch4d.com/
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by torpedoman View Post
    you may wish to call dave at CH4D they will have your dies and maybe as cheap as you can get them anywhere quick guess is they would be in the 83 dollar group.try this--http://www.ch4d.com/
    If I weren't in a huge rush for the dies, BT Sniper on this site will order CH-4D stuff at a 10% discount for site members. It might take a few weeks, depends on when he last send an order in. It's another option. The CH-4D dies are excellent dies.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master

Might even try 45-75 dies for a neck sizing die
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=12440

Guess I better update this a bit. Mould is here, I got it up and working I think. Anyway I have cast a few boolits with it. I had brass ordered from Buffalo Arms and got some. Trouble was the brass I got was for the shorter 11.7x51R. After a call to BA they said to send the brass back and they would make it right. So, I am still waiting on brass, sure it will be here soon. I am also thinking of loading this fine old rifle with black powder, and I truely believe that by the time it is all said and done I will do that. Thanks all for the help and inspiration. JW

Boolit Master
    Still think a good duplex load sparked with a bounty of Bullseye is the way to go.

That will take care of any needed fireforming or anything else which may need expanding!

Black Power, would make a person think you still live in North Ideeeeeeho or maybe North Montaaaaana.

Bet your phone is still 2 cans and a string.

You going to make the G.S. in Lewiston this weekend?

Very Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

CDOC, yeah I'll be there I'm sure, most likely on Sat. as I have company on Sunday. So ya think that BE under some 3f would get things rolling ok? That mold I got is dropping my boolits at .460 out of 20:1. The bore slugs at .463. Do you think I need to beat up a dope-smoker and steal his rolling paper to patch these?? or just try them as is?? They are hollow base. JW

Boolit Master
    WOW JW, your in unknown country for me.

I thought the hollow base as to allow the boolit to flair/expand out to fill the bore. But have never been there or tried that. And Yes, the BE will take care of about any problem if you use enough of it! Use enough BE and you won't need the BP!

By the way, look'in for a 10/22, have a friend look'in for a Redhawk .44 and know where there is a S&W Classic 629.

Of course can't imagine anyone wanting a Bean Can Gun (S&W), at least anyone in their right mind!

Maybe see ya on Saturday. I'll watch for the Big hat!

CDOC

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    By the way, look'in for a 10/22, have a friend look'in for a Redhawk .44 and know where there is a S&W Classic 629.

Of course can't imagine anyone wanting a Bean Can Gun (S&W), at least anyone in their right mind!
    Having both a Horse Pistol (Redhawk) and carry cannon (S&W) - I'll say I might not be in my right mind but
    I'm always in fine fashion.

Boolit Master
    Love it Artful!!!!

Have a friend who is a B&C fan, and I have no end of fun razz'in him about his B&Cs

Don't tell him, but they are #2 on my list of go to handguns at least in the Wheelguns.

"B&C" came about because of the S&W canners of fruits and veggies, so the S&W just became B&C (bean can gun) so I'd have something to be on Jack's case about.

You should hear him when I talk about the ripples in the barrels left over from the tin cans.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I GOT THE BRASS!!!! And I got home in time to cast some boolits, not many, so pictures will be coming soon. JW

Cool Beans

Boolit Master
    Mule, Was it your wife that said you had, "some Brass". Was she refering to head hardness or thickness or malibility or????

CDOC

Hurry up with thos photographs.

Guess soon is a variable time frame

Boolit Master
    Remember Artful, this is ideeeeeho.

"Mule" may be out in the back 40, sleeping under a hay stack.

CDOC

Idaho - he may be a popsicle

Boolit Master
    You could be correct Artful. He lives on the North side of Moscow mountain so it could be a bit deep over there. I can still see snow as we speak, but mostly in drifts or on North slopes. Except for the big piles which slide off my shop roof, snow is mostly gone.

CDOC

Boolit Mold
    I was given a Danish RB for Xmas the first year my wife and I were married. It came with a set of RCBS dies (neck-sizing only, I believe), and a bunch of brass with "SMI 43 BASIC", "B.E.L.L. 43 SPAIN BASE", and "B.E.L.L. 375 H&H" as head stamps. The rifle will chamber .45/70 rounds and will chamber all of the empties. I made a bore and chamber cast, the bore was .458, and the chamber had no discernable step and I could not determine the length. The rifle has been altered due to the danish marks indicating as such, and was originally of the rimfire caliber. I have the Lee 459-405HB mold, any ideas on getting this beautiful old warhorse operational?

Boolit Master

Just buy a box of Green Box Remington 45-70 factory ammo and shoot it
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/376...oint-box-of-20
    You will notice it is "For use in all rifles"
    That means it is loaded mild for the Springfield Rifle.
    Then use the dies to reload that brass.
    Can you please tell us what is printed on top of the size die.
    A photo would be great

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast