RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite 300 Blackout mold...

Whats your favorite 300 Blackout mold...

Steve here... Just bought an ar upper in 300 Blackout.. Thinkin I need a heavy boolit... The heaviest 308 mold I have right now is a Saeco 315, it Drops 173ish with ww & 2% 95/5... I use it in my K31. It shoots 1 moa or better in the Swiss... not so in the AR... The bullet that shoots consistently the best in the Ar is an old Sierra 220 grn round nose... over 9.9gn's of H110. The Saeco gets it in the ballpark with light loads of 5744, and 2400, but I think the ar will shoot as good or better with a heavy cast boolit.
    Let me know. I hope I only have to buy one more mold..
    Steve

Oh and gas check or no gas check... i'm looking for accuracy at 100 yds)

Boolit Master
    Too late to get one now, but my favorite is the Ranch Dog 165. I had my mold bored 3plain 3GC and the checked ones are better shooters unless really low speed.

I've had pretty good results with the Lee 150 as well.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

The Lee 150 for the Russian 7.62 is the most accurate in mine so far, but Lee also has a boolit mould specifically for the Blackout and it is showing promise. Lots of folks here have been using the NOE mould, apparently with great results.

Boolit Master

I've used 4 boolits in our 2 300 BO uppers, the Lee 170, was the mold I had prior to getting the 300's. It worked ok but had issues feeding due to it being so short in the magazines. I then got the 245/247gr boolit, it shoots well but I had gotten it for subsonic and I have had issues finding a load that cycles reliably at subsonic velocities, mainly as none of the LGS's around here carry Accurate Arms powders. I have the 230gr Lee boolit designed for the 300, it seems ok but currently my favorite is the 155 .312 Lee. It feeds perfectly and cycles perfectly with 16gr of H110/W296. I am planning to shoot the 245/247gr and 230gr at supersonic velocities and see how they do.

Boolit Master

Moonie, try some Reloader 7 under those heavy boolits for supers. That works great in mine. I'm also having trouble getting subs to cycle. I asked my local guy to order some AA1680 for me and he said he would when he put his next powder order in.

Boolit Bub
    I'm hope lots of folks will contribute by answering this question. I'd like to compare the answers and see if what the top 1,2,&3 molds are so I can see what my options are regarding price/ availability.

I'm looking to get a 16" AR upper in 300 blk.
    Last edited by migtek02; 12-30-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to specify the gun.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Buddy
    I too have been using the Lee 155gr boolit. I would like to find a 130ish, I am waiting on the 311410 group buy mold, but have been wondering about the RCBS 130gr, anyone tried that one?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    Moonie, try some Reloader 7 under those heavy boolits for supers. That works great in mine. I'm also having trouble getting subs to cycle. I asked my local guy to order some AA1680 for me and he said he would when he put his next powder order in.
    I do have some RL-7 to try in it just haven't yet. The place I normally get powder from will not order Accurate Arms powder, there is another LGS that will order it but their prices are way out of line for powder, even before the recent madness occurred.

Steve here... Thanks for all the info on this thread so far... please keep it coming..
    Here is what I have so far. I tryed a bunch of different loads with my Saeco 315.
    The pic below has been my best group. This was shot from a bench this morning from 100 yds
    The 5 shots go out to 1.6" the 4 are right at .9. Its an awfully light load the gun functions but doesnt slide lock all the time. I have also tried some H110 with this boolit but the groups were 1.8 to 4" groups depending on the load. The H110 usually slide locks even with fairily light loads.
    What are you guys sizing the boolits to. I am using a .310 sizer in my Star
    Thanks Steven

Boolit Master
    311329, 311365, 311247 in that order
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    That 230 Lee bullet does not even show up on Lee's webpage(unless I am missing it somehow)...pretty wild that Midway has it but Lee does not show it on the webpage ?? I was wondering if there was a lube groove version or just fumble lube (intentional miss spelling, I hate fumble lube hehe)
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

It is made exclusively for Midwayusa.com:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938...5-ogive-radius

I ordered a Lee mold to try... showed up the other day... spent 10 minutes shimming
    the fit between the mold and handles with brass shims so it closes properly...best group so far is 5" at 100 yds
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    It is made exclusively for Midwayusa.com:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938...5-ogive-radius
    Last edited by z4lunch; 01-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Steve here... tried an old Ideal 311365 in the blackout this morning.
    Looks promising. These where fired from the bench at 100yds

Boolit Master

I'm working on the 311247. I have the NOE 311365 too.

Early tests have been promising. Feed and function are 100% over charges of H110 and 1680 out of a 16" Model 1 upper with carbine gas and suppressor installed. No feed issues, but the last tests were with the thermold 20 rd mag.

I have a batch that I sized tonight - it's time to get serious!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361085889.051176.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	61494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361085904.781935.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	61495

Boolit Man
    Just keeping this thread alive, as I am very interested in what you all prefer as well.

Thanks

I've used the NOE 311247, Lee C309-200-R, a NOE 308403 clone, and a couple dozen Lee C309-113-F. Most have been in my bolt gun but the first two ran good though my AR. I have a Mihec H&G #38 clone I need to make some boolits to try.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Buddy
    I load most of what is mentioned here. Not refined enough to recommend a load but the LEE 155 Harris bullet (conventional lube groove), NOE 311247 Whisper, Lee 30-230-5R and NOE 311365 all work fine for me in a DCA upper...the all go great in an Encore too. I like PB styles, even modified a single cavity LEE 155 to remove the check heel and I've been using 45-45-10 lube with great results (no leading, decent accuracy and feed with 1680 loads). Sometimes lighter bullets is nice on the lead stash. Goal is to perfect accurate feeding loads for each style. Both sub and supersonic. That is the fun part.

Working on loads for my 300 Blackout. Nothing yet that i would post about. I have 2 new lee molds to try. Ill report in the future an my success or failure.

Boolit Master
    Eagan MX2 or it's clone from NOE, followed by 311332.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast