Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: "Notches" in Aluminum Gas Checks

Boolit Buddy

"Notches" in Aluminum Gas Checks

I had been using Hornady gas checks for my 30-06, but both of the suppliers I normally use seem to be out of stock, so I decided to try some aluminum ones off of E-bay. When I got them, I noticed that a significant percentage of them seem to have a 'notch' on one side. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm thinking it may be where the guy making them failed to advance the material far enough before punching the next one and it had a 'bite' taken out of it from the previous one. I've not shot any yet, so I don't know how they will do, but I am concerned the 'light spot' will give the bullet a balance problem. Maybe not, as it is a very small percentage of the overall bullet weight, but still..... So, has anyone seen this? Will it cause me a problem?

Boolit Master

I've contacted Charlie about the same thing with my 30 cal FreeChex. He said a small notch shouldn't matter. I have not shot any to confirm this.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    A few of the GC's I make have a notch in them also. If they are made properly they will not have a notch. I just shoot the ones with notches and they work fine.

Boolit Grand Master

So far I have had no problem shooting the ones with notches. Think the issue is a lack of QC on the part of the check maker.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

The notches are a result of the specific design feature that Charlie builds into his die. It is a result of the punch shearing through the edge of the material leaving an opening that serves to release the material from the workings of the punch. If the punch creates a perfect hole in the material the strip of alum stalls on the tool and jams. The notches don't impact on accuracy in my experience.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Funny you should mention the lack of gas checks in stock. If not for my buddy, Hardcast416Taylor I would not have any for my .338 Winmag..................don't know why the shortage of checks, there can't be that many of us "Metally Deranged" people left in the world.............

"Metally Deranged" = My wifes pet name for all of us who just HAVE to cast their own bullets.......................

I did write Hornady about this and the response I got was we're sorry but we don't even have a production date to give you as of now....................

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Notches are caused when the checks are punched too close together. Throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    Notches are caused when the checks are punched too close together. Throw them away.

Throw them my way if .30 cal.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

When stamping plain based checks I noticed that notches make for poorly formed checks. I went through a learning curve and now I don't have many faulty checks. My 30 cal CheckMaker is not plain based and I punch them out of Amerimax aluminum flashing. These checks come out very pretty and with few if ever throw always. Sorry Slim. If you want some 'questionable' checks I could send you some for you to analyze for quality control
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!