MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: CH 206 press questions

Boolit Master

CH 206 press questions

I've got a CH 206 press I bought used in 1981; I haven't used it as much as I'd like, but I'm getting ready to start using it again.

This press is unusual; it's got a sort of O frame, but with dies carried in a bar that slides front to back (like a turret press, but without the rotation). My press came with one bar, and until this year I've never really felt the need to have more than one -- but now, I'll be reloading for .357 Magnum (the cartridge I originally bought the press for), 7.62x54R, and possibly .380 ACP.

So, questions are: where might one get additional die bars for this CH 206 -- or will I have to pay a machine shop to make them up? Yeah, 7/8-14 threaded holes in a piece of cold-rolled, but the bar also has notches along one edge that interact with a spring plunger in the frame to locate the dies above the ram, so have to be precisely located relative to the holes. Is this press strong enough to handle full length sizing large cases like my x54R, .30-06, etc.? Is it, perhaps, strong enough for light duty swaging, even (I know it doesn't have the leverage for heavy swaging, but .22 to .31 is where I'd be headed on this)?

I've seen pictures of these and they are certainly cool looking.
    You could contact CH4D co ; they aren't exactly the same co but they are quite accommodating
    and might steer you in the right direction (?) .

Boolit Master

CH4D are very easy to work with and have always gone out of their way to get the old presses operating, either making a part themselves for one or steering one to someone else who makes or supplies parts. Great folks. I have delt with them for years. I have a Model 205 press and they sure helped me out to get a primer arm for it. james

Boolit Grand Master

Give Dave Davidson of CH4D a call. Even if he doesn't have the part he's a very nice guy to talk with. He will go out of his way to help, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Well, based on a thread I found on another forum from several years ago, I e-mailed Dave at CH4D and got an answer back same day; looks like I can get this press upgraded with primer catcher and large primer arm for under $20, and a little over $20 will get me another die bar -- apparently, they made these fifty years ago, and they still have parts!

I also got a PM interested in buying it, so I have to figure out if I should sell it (hopefully for enough to buy a new Lee) or spend a little and get it back in service. Hard to decide...

Get it back to complete for 20 bucks..Extra bars new for 20 bucks, I'd say it's a keeper.

Boolit Master

Well, with tax refund in hand, I've sent off a PayPal for brass and e-mailed Dave at CH4D again for a total with shipping for another die plate, primer catcher, and large primer arm; a short trip to Lowe's or Home Depot over the weekend, and I'll be ready to build a shelf into a "dead" corner at the end of my hall and set up the press.

Forgot to mention, Dave offered to buy the press from me, but for what it'll cost to fix it up, I'll keep it. Even with an aluminum frame (non magnetic casting, might possibly be Zamak) it should be strong enough for my 7.62x54R, and I don't think I'm likely to load anything bigger any time soon...

Boolit Man
    IMM,

Just a head's up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH-No-206-Di...item3380049d00

Toobroke

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toobroke View Post
    Thanks, Toobroke. I put in a bid, we'll see what happens...